What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aus and Aus A squads

beads6

First Grade
Why would Ben Cutting not be in the A squad?? Why would the selectors make Hilfy play for the A team he is clearly in the aussies top team when fit. These selectors are Pathetic

lockyno1

Post Whore
Why would Ben Cutting not be in the A squad?? Why would the selectors make Hilfy play for the A team he is clearly in the aussies top team when fit. These selectors are Pathetic

Cutting is still injured.

As for Hilfenhaus, he needs bowling, and he'll get 40 overs in the A match compared to 10 in a ODI series!

beads6

First Grade
Makes sense, I'd hope Cutting is up there for future bowlers for Australia.

aussies1st

Staff member
Squads are pretty much spot on. Stephen O’Keefe looks to be the next spinner after Hauritz and Smith now.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Ha
Squads are pretty much spot on. Stephen O’Keefe looks to be the next spinner after Hauritz and Smith now.

Hardly, 4 spinners are having surgery. I would not read too much into it- Bailey, Heal, etc are all having surgery. O'Keefe is handy at best.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Almost certain he is hiney as he was on Grandstand 2 weeks ago and said he was not even hitting a ball yet. No idea what injury it is though.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Almost certain he is hiney as he was on Grandstand 2 weeks ago and said he was not even hitting a ball yet. No idea what injury it is though.
I heard he hurt his shoulder a while back, wasn't sure how bad it was.

zombie jesus

Staff member
Hughes dislocated his shoulder a few weeks ago, required surgery.

Henriques overlooked... finally.

Copeland probably unlucky.

aussies1st

Staff member
He was solid last season 15 wickets at 30, best average of the spinners and 3rd highest wicket taker behind McGain and Smith.

D

Deleted member 10972

I would have gone with:

Australia ODI

Marsh, Watson, Ponting, Clarke, White, Hussey, Haddin, Smith, Johnson, Bollinger, McKay

(reserves: Hauritz, Harris, Hopes)

Australia T20

Warner, Watson, D Hussey, Clarke, White, M Hussey, Haddin, Smith, Johnson, Nannes, Tait

(reserves: Hauritz, Harris, Christian)

Australia A 4Day

Klinger, Khawaja, Bailey, Voges (instead of Forrest), Marsh, McDonald, Paine, Starc, Pattinson (instead of George)*, Hilfenhaus, O'Keefe*

(reserves: Hazlewood, Cowan, *)

Australia A 1Day

Birt, Cooper (instead of Khawaja), Bailey, Voges, Marsh, Henriques (instead of McDonald), Paine, Starc (instead of Drew), Pattinson*, Rimmington (instead of Haberfield), Doherty

(reserves: Hazlewood, Finch, *)

---

So I am pretty pleased with the teams, especially considering the injury to Hughes, but I just feel there are a few uninspiring selections. Brendan Drew, Tom Haberfield and Peter Forrest are pretty average, I rate George but Pattinson is a better allround player, Cooper, Rimmington and Starc are form players. He is one serious talent. One question...no Henriques?

I am glad that Harwood, Laughlin, Geeves, etc weren't under consideration, all average at best. Not worth the time. As for Rogers and Jaques, they are both as proven as they can get, and aren't getting any younger either.

For the Tests, I would like to see Australia bring Hauritz in, and have either Smith or North take White's spot.

Edit:

* means where injury is. If fit, I would have Cutting in for Pattinson in both A squads, I would have added Hastings to each squad as a reserve player, and I would have picked a better spinner over the very average O'Keefe.

Last edited by a moderator:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Rate him as well, just needs to get his ankle right, has had surgery in the off season so won't be fit for a month or two.

Latest posts