What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra looking at Luke O'Donnell

cgee221

Juniors
A WEEK after securing Aiden Tolman, the Bulldogs continue to eye the Melbourne Storm for reinforcements and have now targeted Kiwi back-rower Adam Blair as their next recruit from Bleak City.
The loss of Willie Mason, Mark O'Meley, Sonny Bill Williams, Roy Asotasi and Greg Eastwood has eroded Canterbury's traditionally aggressive edge up front, and officials see Blair as a perfect vessel to restore that reputation.

Footy Confidential understands Blair is on a modest contract - which expires at the end of 2011 - and could earn much more should under-pressure Storm officials agree to give him an early release to ease their salary cap problems.
DURING his controversy-marred career, the last thing former NRL bad boy Julian O'Neill set was a good example for aspiring young players.
But Papua New Guinea officials obviously feel O'Neill has something to offer from his litany of bad behaviour, after recently appointing him a development officer in the league-mad nation.

That's right: the man who famously pooed in Schlossy's shoe a dozen years ago is now guiding the youth in PNG, and from all reports he's doing a hell of a job.

"He is a natural," said Luke Goodwin, who also has a role with the emerging nation's rugby league team.

"He knows his football inside out and he is really great with all the players. He is a different man now."

O'Neill has actually been based in PNG for the past two seasons, coaching a team in the highlands while his wife worked for a major mining magnate.

STILL on firebrand forwards, don't be surprised if Parramatta make a play for off-contract Cowboy Luke O'Donnell.

We told you a few weeks back that O'Donnell was in talks with Japanese rugby scout Eddie Jones, but his family's preference is to return to Sydney. The Eels see him as a good fit because the blue and gold pack needs a dose of aggression to complement hard-working types such as Nathan Hindmarsh, Ben Smith and Tim Mannah.

The only stumbling block is that O'Donnell's management want a four-year deal and the Eels are only prepared to offer three at most at this stage.

THE impressive NRL debut of Dragons flyer Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa last Sunday didn't come without hair-raising moments.

Fai-Fai Loa started the season in Toyota Cup with possibly the biggest afro in rugby league - but the 'do didn't sit well with head coach Wayne Bennett.

"Wayne told me that until I cut my hair, I wouldn't be a chance of playing first grade," said the Kiwi 20-year-old, who also happens to be a first cousin and flatmate of back-row star Jeremy Smith.

No surprises, then, to see Fai-Fai Loa make his debut with short back and sides.

WE TOLD you last week how discarded Panther Joel Romelo rides the rails to Bulldogs training because he lost his driver's licence.

But last Monday night the nuggety hooker found an even more novel way to get to CUA Stadium to face his old teammates - in the passenger seat of good friend Wade Graham's car.

"I can't remember two players from opposing teams driving to the game together - and they both wore No. 17," laughed a Panthers source.

One player regretting that Romelo found his way on to the ground was Penrith pivot Travis Burns, who later credited the 21-year-old with the hardest hit he'd ever suffered on a football field.

"I felt like I was going to be sick on the inside ... and it took me about 10 minutes to recover," Burns told us.
IN FURTHER fallout from Monday night's clash, an "embarrassed" Michael Jennings has vowed to hit the sprint track after being run down from behind - by Josh Morris - for the first time in his career.

"I thought I was away," Jennings told us.

"But I guess I've lost a bit of pace. I haven't been doing speed work lately because of my knee [injury].

"He got me fair and square, but I'm filthy about it. To be honest it's pretty embarrassing because it's the first time I've ever been run down."

MELBOURNE Rebels remain keen to snare Storm pivot Brett Finch, but the NSW Origin shadow player is in no rush to finalise his future.

Finch has attracted interest from a number of league clubs, both in the NRL and England, and his preference is to stay in the 13-man code.

Elsewhere, Danny Buderus has received an offrer to extend his stay in Leeds amid speculation he could rejoin Newcastle next year. And former Sea Eagles and Eels winger Scott Donald could be eyeing a retun Down Under.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t-for-adam-blair/story-e6frexnr-1225872281709

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
I'd be happy for 2 years max but that's all but he is very injury prone but we have had players come like Morrison in very similar situation like odonnel and we got 2 good Seasons out of him

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
STILL on firebrand forwards, don't be surprised if Parramatta make a play for off-contract Cowboy Luke O'Donnell.

We told you a few weeks back that O'Donnell was in talks with Japanese rugby scout Eddie Jones, but his family's preference is to return to Sydney. The Eels see him as a good fit because the blue and gold pack needs a dose of aggression to complement hard-working types such as Nathan Hindmarsh, Ben Smith and Tim Mannah.

The only stumbling block is that O'Donnell's management want a four-year deal and the Eels are only prepared to offer three at most at this stage.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t-for-adam-blair/story-e6frexnr-1225872281709

Please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

Eels Dude

Coach
I for one don't want us to sign an injury prone backrower aged 30 for 4 years... Who does he think he is asking that? Let him go to Japan I reckon.

lucablight

First Grade
Letting go of Mateo to sign O'Donnell? That's a downgrade if you ask me. Now Adam Blair I would love to have.

TheRam

Coach
Oh no, please no, especially not for 3 or 4 fu*ken years. The bloke we should be going for hard is Sika fu*ken Manu!!! For fu*k sake. What the hell are they thinking?

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
If worse came to worse i'd rather be looking at bringing back Steve Menzies (if that was possible) than employing Luke O. Luke, you have been a great player and you may continue playing very well but gees a 4 year contract off the back of your last 4 years of history to reflect upon!!!! If you came at a reasonable price for 1 year, it would be worth considering.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Give him the 4 but the final 2 years in Parramatta's option but at a certain rate. Or the contract automatically gets renewed if he plays a certain amount of games per year.

So (hypothetically) 1st and 2nd year he gets $150K and if we think he will still be of value, 3rd year $225K and if still good there, 4th year $300K.

He needs us more then we need him, he will be here and have a decent contract for aslong as he proves that he is of good value, and the rise in value will be his reward for proving himself.

ROGUE

Juniors
More often than not we've bought players from other clubs that are on the back end of their playing career, and it's about time we changed that.....manu or blair NO o'donnell

Gronk

Staff member
DOB is 22 October 1980, so he's 30 this year.

He's played 110 games for NQ from 2004 - 2010 seasons. That's 6 and a bit seasons. Before this season he's averaged 17 games per season. In his last few seasons he played 4/29 in 2007, 15/26 in 2008, 17/26 in 2009 and 6/11 in 2010. He is selected to play this week.

A 4 year deal seems a bit long however many contracts these days are loaded with performance clauses to ensure that they play a minimum number of FG games per season to get the cash.

Stagger eel

Staff member
first of all, I would be interested in a bloke like O'Donnell, I think "if fit" is the perfect player we need, I wouldn't go any further than a 3 year deal...

just remember, he may well be asking for a 4year deal but he may not be asking as much some of you thing, also alot of people aren't going to agree with me here but if we were going to war I would probably rather have O'Donnell than Feleti..

strider

Post Whore
Give him the 4 but the final 2 years in Parramatta's option but at a certain rate. Or the contract automatically gets renewed if he plays a certain amount of games per year.

So (hypothetically) 1st and 2nd year he gets $150K and if we think he will still be of value, 3rd year $225K and if still good there, 4th year $300K.

He needs us more then we need him, he will be here and have a decent contract for aslong as he proves that he is of good value, and the rise in value will be his reward for proving himself.
i may have no idea, but I couldn't imagine o'donnell would play for $150K a yr and have the possibility he'd never get the better money in yrs 3&4 .... if his manager agreed to that then they'd be desperate for a gig and I can't imagine he's is that desperate

Latest posts