What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith v Porter (partial spoiler)

samshark

Juniors
Halves these days are obsessed with kicks or going back on the inside. Does my head in. Its not just Smith.

One of the first rules of footy is that straight after making a long break downfield the very next play you just go wide through the hands. You have players lined out running onto the ball against a retreating defence. There is an overlap every time and 9 times out of 10 you will score. Its been that way since I was in the under 6's. But no, everyone these days seems obsessed with the cross field kick.

If Smith goes through the hands we score two tries in the first half. Simple.

samshark

Juniors
I think gordon is off to newcastle though isn't he??? A big loss if it happens

No, there was an article in a local rag up there a few weeks back about Gordon. He is from the area, supported the Knights etc Quoted his uncle or someone encouraging the Knights to make him an offer. The CEO was quoted saying he hadnt really looked at him.

Hope he stays. I like the look of him, Gardner and Fergo as our back three. They could be something special and the best back three we've had since Peach, Rogers and Richie Barnett

rabbitohbill

Juniors
You have a winner with young Gordon you guys. If he wwerent playing outside of Tautai, who has no idea at all how to set up his winger, I think the whole NRL would be raving about him.

He has looke dpretty good without much support from his centre.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Without a doubt one of the worst performances in the history of the club by anyone in a no 7 jersey

Mate, don't limit it to the Sharks. That was the worst performance I can remember from a 7 in my life at that level.

He was simply diabolical.

And what the f**k is he blowing up about all the time?

dreary

Juniors
Is Smith still being paid by the Broncos?? he certainly played like it tonight. If Smith wasn't on the field tonight we win.

Since 73

First Grade
Unfortunately SP isn't an NRL level 7.
He'll do a job for you in a game but teams odn't play semi final footy with a halfback of his presence.

Smith is a first grade halfback.
He has shown that.
Unfortunately, for some reason no halfback has ever responded to Sticky.

Brett finch
Josh Lewis
Craig Wing
Jamie Soward
Noddy
and now it seems Smith

Smith's best game for us was his first - when he flew in from Bris and played after one trining run - and it has declined since.

He is a first grade halfback and must be perserved with and helped to develop the attitude he is our playmaker and must get us around the park.
That is an investment in out future.

No half under Ricky has ever felt comfortable in that role.

Weaponhead

Coach
Smith has a habit of badly mistiming kicks. The kicks to Ferguson's wing were under 12 standard.

His running game was also poor. The forward pass inside to Barrett was simply because he is too slow. He looked like he was running with cement boots.

He will get better and needs to. That was not NRL standard tonight.

Surely

Post Whore
Yes it's a certainty Stuart has managed to teach smith how to do sh*thouse kicks in a matter of weeks.

Kneen10

Juniors
At least everyone agrees on one thing.....get rid of Tautai!!
I hope he's not thinking Mitch Brown....

DJDL

Bench
Well based on initial reports Pom is due back.
How does everyone feel about that? :lol:

Selachimorpha

Juniors
As long as Pom doesn't try stupid grubbers for himself on the 1st or 2nd tackle when Gordon is completely open he's an improvement on Tautai. sh*t anyone is an improvement on Tautai, sh*t hands, defensive liability, slow, can't or won't pass to his winger, Pom has his problems but he's still a big step up from TT.

lockyrulz

Juniors
Young Smith was coming along quite nicely at the Broncs.

Looks like Stuarts infamous half back coaching skills have finally kicked in though.

jackal

Juniors
Smith doesn't know how to tackle but tonight was worse than ever. It is quite odd teams are not directing more traffic at him.

His kicking tonight was extremely poor no doubt, one of the worst i can remember.

BUT, late in the second half we break down field, we get a quick play the ball and Barrett passes to Smith who has a massive overlap to the right but Smith passes straight back to Barrett and the pass is forward.

Were there any bookmakers at the ground tonight from Pakistan?

coolumsharkie

Referee
Smith doesn't know how to tackle but tonight was worse than ever. It is quite odd teams are not directing more traffic at him.

His kicking tonight was extremely poor no doubt, one of the worst i can remember.

BUT, late in the second half we break down field, we get a quick play the ball and Barrett passes to Smith who has a massive overlap to the right but Smith passes straight back to Barrett and the pass is forward.

Were there any bookmakers at the ground tonight from Pakistan?

It was inconceivable, what the? Did you see Fergo blowing up (Not that he deserved to) he mouthed the words "WTF every f'king time, f'k!" when he cuaught that kick off the sideline.

I think Smith needs to up his dose.. For real!

Young Smith was coming along quite nicely at the Broncs.

Looks like Stuarts infamous half back coaching skills have finally kicked in though.

At this stage I don't think it's Stuarts fault with Tim Smith.

Tim Smith is just too kick happy at times and had an absolute shocker last night.

More play with the hands and some quality kicks and we win that game last night.

millersnose

Post Whore
whatever the problem if the axe falls it should be on smith

frankly porters games were always beter than that

Inferno

Coach
whatever the problem if the axe falls it should be on smith

frankly porters games were always beter than that

Have to agree with that. Porter may still be injured though, I think he was out last weekend. If that's the case it might be time for AK to be given another crack.