What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
30k Sunday, 52k Wednesday, poss 40k Friday... 112k @ suncorp in a week :crazy:

MightyBronco

Juniors
How does the home crowd average get sorted out for the double header? I was at the game last year, and about half left after the broncs. Do the bulldogs get attributed the whole crowd? Or a percentage?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Neither, the figure is omitted from both averages as I understand it.

DC_fan

Coach
How does the home crowd average get sorted out for the double header? I was at the game last year, and about half left after the broncs. Do the bulldogs get attributed the whole crowd? Or a percentage?

My understanding is that each home team gets to split the crowd. So if the crowd is 50,000 then the dogs and broncos get 25,000 a piece.

DC_fan

Coach

My understanding is that each home team gets to split the crowd. So if the crowd is 50,000 then the dogs and broncos get 25,000 a piece.

The simplicity of some people thinking it's the way to go to just "cull Sydney teams" is alarming. Cutting off the nose to spite the face sort of stuff - you would lose so many fans to the game, many of them forever. Ridiculous. I'm not a traditionalist by any means but I can't see people supporting merged clubs a great rate, it's taken most of a ten-year period to get Saints and WT's right, and we all saw the failure NE was.

before clubs were actively trying to get bigger support, talk of cutting teams was warranted.

Now that they are seeking to become bigger, its not really an issue. If cronulla fell over atm we have an easy solution - put in the CC.

I could see if a merger was to ever happen, it would need to be built up over a number of years and then continued with only if the fans and everyone seemed to get along well enough. The clubs would have to get cosy enough to be bearable for say three years then announce a merger.

I think immediate change is no longer on the cards for rl in general, it needs to be evolutionary.

Didgi

I think it would be more likely to be what Tim said. Broncos v Titans would achieve much more than 25,000 k alone.

10.5k at EAS and DFS would be higher outside origin with star players available.

Serc

First Grade
The 10,535 at EAS today is (exclusing 1997 for obvious reasons) the 4th lowest crowd figure in Knights history.

I'm pretty sure the somewhat fickle Newcastle crowd thinks the team completely stinks at the moment (1 from 5 this year at home doesn't help), and coupled with a Monday night game next week...could definitely give the all time lowest a shake (8k).

fanatique

Juniors
I think it would be more likely to be what Tim said. Broncos v Titans would achieve much more than 25,000 k alone.

10.5k at EAS and DFS would be higher outside origin with star players available.

Correct. I'm tired pointing out that Origin is a nuisance. It is a meaningless series of exhibitions which negatively impacts on the heart ot the NRL season robbing clubs of tens of thousdands of paying customers and robbing games of athmosphere and robbing the competition of status.

If we must have it limit it to home and away. 2 matches in 8 days and have done with it. Having the three sprawl across the mid season is nonsense but this is League so nonsense prevails.

Brutus

Referee
Correct. I'm tired pointing out that Origin is a nuisance. It is a meaningless series of exhibitions which negatively impacts on the heart ot the NRL season robbing clubs of tens of thousdands of paying customers and robbing games of athmosphere and robbing the competition of status.

If we must have it limit it to home and away. 2 matches in 8 days and have done with it. Having the three sprawl across the mid season is nonsense but this is League so nonsense prevails.

3 of RL's biggest drawing games of the year are Origin matches and as for TV ratings...well. Origin gives RL the edge.

It's a non arguement. If fans don't want to support their clubs during this period then that's their fault. There are still two competition points on the line.

Serc

First Grade
Yep...4 of our 6 worst crowds were in 1997, I'd say the Mariners playing just 10 mins up the road during that year wouldn't have helped ;-)

camsmith

Juniors
Just over 10,000 there tonight. (don't have the exact number..)

TBH it looked like a 7,000 type crowd but its only the second time I have been there so its a bit hard to read. Well done to the Roosters supporters who made the trip, always good to have a vocal away crowd at a game. Not sure what happened near the end of the game though... think I saw a few wild punches thrown.. hope it was nothing serious.

Oh and well done to all the Melbourne fans who keep on turning out. MNF is never really a popular timeslot in Melbourne. Queens Birthday probably added 2,000.

Last edited:

CC_Roosters

First Grade
When the new grandstand is complete will it increase the minimum attendance in Newcastle, what with all of the extra covered seats with good views?

I wonder will Storm fans continue to show up given the beating handed to them on MNF, although the stars returning might help?

TheDalek079

Bench
Good on the Mexicans (and Roosters fans for making the trip) to get to a Monday night game featuring no Origin players and a team which can't earn premiership points.

Status
Not open for further replies.