What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beccy displaying her pure and utter hatred of Rugby League

El Diablo

Post Whore
Writing for the Victorians

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/afl-rules-in-code-battle/story-e6frfhqf-1225880608976

AFL rules in code battle

* Rebecca Wilson
* June 17, 2010 12:00AM

JUST for one minute, imagine this happened in the AFL in 2010.

A senior assistant coach - a football legend - attends a team bonding session. He has a few too many beers and tells those in attendance that they must target the black c--- from the opposition during this week's big match. He also has a crack at players of Polynesian heritage and other indigenous members of the opposing team.

An indigenous player who listens to the rant leaves the team camp in disgust. He has had enough of racial vilification over a long period of time. This is not the first time he has heard racist taunts from the same bloke.

The team managers decide on a cover-up. They are set to announce the player has a hamstring injury. He sneaks out of the camp and they bring another replacement player in through a side entrance to hide his presence from the media.

It is only when the media gets hold of the story that the assistant coach is finally caught out. He resigns the camp in disgrace.

The player refuses to return to the camp, but instead issues a home-made video explaining why he had no choice but to make a stand against the endemic problem of racism.

This actually happened in NSW this week. The team in question is the NSW State of Origin rugby league side, an elite football team aspired to by every young kid who plays the code.

The squad was preparing for Wednesday night's match against Queensland, the biggest series on the league calendar each year.

While the National Rugby League announced it does have a mediation policy in place (nobody in the NSW media was aware of such a policy until this week), it is powerless to intervene because although it is the governing body of the sport, it does not actually run State of Origin football.

Sound strange? Welcome to the world of rugby league.

While those close to league accept with resignation the chaotic nature of the sport's administration, big backers of the code acknowledge that this week's racism, and the shambolic response to it from senior figures in the sport, is another example of why rugby league will never challenge the AFL as the nation's premier football code.

As one very senior businessman said recently, rugby league is a game played by wharfies, watched by wharfies and run by wharfies.

Conversely, the AFL transcends class, is played by every kid in the southern states of Australia (and a growing number in Queensland and NSW) and run by real businessmen with a genuine corporate culture.

Andrew Demetriou, CEO of the AFL, is clever, often ruthless and extremely process-driven. He is backed by a commission that boasts a balance of Melbourne business, sporting interests and industry leaders. They are united as one in trying to make the code bigger, stronger and wealthier.

The National Rugby League, by contrast, runs only part of the game. The NRL boss, David Gallop, juggles a mish-mash of blazer-wearing dinosaurs, five boards and disparate interests constantly engaged in power struggles that nobody ever really wins.

While the push is on for an independent commission, the in-fighting and brawling has put a halt to such negotiations for months. The badly managed NSW team is a living, breathing example of why the game must change, or face extinction.

While the AFL has had a mediation policy in place since the 1990s for instances of racial vilification, the body that controls representative football in league, the Australian Rugby League, has no such thing.

The repugnant days of Mal Brown running around with "cannibals" have long been consigned to history by the strong measures put in place by the AFL over the past three decades.

The AFL's attitude to its indigenous players is a revelation compared with league. These young athletes are embraced, their communities are celebrated and their talents are held in awe by all who follow Aussie rules.

Those close to league acknowledge there has been little change in racist attitudes for decades. There can be no doubt they are right when a senior coach, two former champion players (the team managers) and Andrew Johns obviously colluded to cover up the sorry events at an elite team camp.

Johns, a former champion player turned assistant coach, resigned from the team this week for his appalling comments. He was not sacked.

In fact, the team managers said "Joey" Johns was "shattered" by the events in the camp.

They were serious, too. How can modern administrators of professional sport possibly turn disgraceful, rampant racism into some sort of martyrdom for the perpetrator?

The player who made the stand, Timana Tahu, says this is not the first time Johns has made racist remarks. A proud Aboriginal and Maori, Tahu said he walked out because he was sick of the constant racist remarks that came out of Johns' mouth.

While the AFL would have forced both men into mediation, and probably punished Johns, no such thing has happened this week.

Tahu has even been privately accused by some league administrators of being "soft", a pretty typical response from a core element in the sport who still steadfastly believe in the White Australia policy.

THE ARL formed an uneasy partnership with News Limited (the publishers of this newspaper) more than a decade ago. This disparate group became the National Rugby League. Remarkably, the NRL does not control the jewel in the league's crown - representative football.

When David Gallop was asked by a Melbourne-based journalist this week why he had not said much about the Johns drama, he had to point out that he has no say over what happens in Origin football. Unbelievable but true.

Without delving too deeply into the political minefield that is league, suffice to say that the constant controversies, scandals and dramas are not helped by the uneasy truce at the top of the game.

Meanwhile, Demetriou visited Sydney last week for the announcement of a $45 million stadium for the new Greater Western Sydney team. He saw at least half a dozen members of the Sydney media, looked them in the eye and faced criticism over the Israel Folau signing.

He did it with focus and self-belief - an administrator of a big, successful business. The AFL has long ago said goodbye to blazer-wearers, jobs for the boys and dinosaur policies.

Rugby league will remain in its own backwater while the grab for those blazers continues. The joke among the Sydney league media is that despite the shocking chain of events in the NSW team camp, they all agree the same people will manage and coach the side next year.

That's the way it is in league - excuse bad behaviour, have another beer and always remember the old saying: "Deny, deny, deny."

wilsonr@heraldsun.com.au

Paullyboy

Coach
I honestly opened this thread with a plan on reading this, and then expressing my hatred towards her after reading her tripe.

But, for once, I just read the title and decided - no, I just don't care what she has to say. I honestly have no idea what she said in this article and I'm smarter for it.

nqcowboy87

Bench
lets grab the pitchforks and torches, now where does she live. i cant believe they let her on the footy show, she seemed more at home on big brother show

fourplay

Juniors
I honestly opened this thread with a plan on reading this, and then expressing my hatred towards her after reading her tripe.

But, for once, I just read the title and decided - no, I just don't care what she has to say. I honestly have no idea what she said in this article and I'm smarter for it.

LMAO, I am the same. A wall of text from Chewbecca. No thanks.

you pathetic idiots

she's right.

ok, she sunk her teeth in a lot of places, and she's most likely a REAL bitch, but hey women are women, you role with the punches, in their feminine energy - and she is right.

lol.....

no really, I meant that.....you lot, all of you LU posters bar a few, are deadset morons....and she is right.

it must be so hard for you to admit it, that she is right....

talk about a hell-cat!!!!! f**k me!!! she's a piece of work....but yeah, she's right.

I bet most of you guys get so uncomfortable around a whole lotta cougar-hell energy....but she is right.....

shes in love with demetriou, thats obvious, and though there may be a tinge of love-struck bias there, she is right.

you mongers dont get it do you???

league is a laughing stock. its a ruined heap and its running out of puff and I - one of its biggest fans who have stuck up for it so much, and keep sticking up for it - and getting weary, league is sh*t.

afl has its act together, sure, but its sh*t on the field. League needs to shape up.

Beccy is right and.....I mean there must be ice coming from her mouth as she breathes, but hey you cannot deny she really nailed this one.

You boffoons just dont have a clue. A stare from her glaring anti-league eyes may melt flowers but you can't change facts.

She could make little girls cry with an unintentional yet character-congruent scolding remark (or an anti league story) but even so, she really nailed it.

I bet some of you actually want to nail her, yeah and I would, to get a good league story for once....but really, jokes aside, you can't handle this hell-cat, this ice queen, this would-be league-destroyer from another world.

f**k!! in! damn!! she is right!!!

and you are all pussies.....fancy that, couldn't even bring yourself to read her story....douche bag....she is right, you piss weak excuse....

take the criticism, take the blame, own up, take ownership of the problem, seek solutions, make this your own, get a remedy, dont deny it, and for f**k sake, grow a set....if you read it, you would have realized she is right.

Of course its nothing we didn't know already, but there it is, all in one spot.....the "bitch" is right, and radiant in her photos.....

so there. suck a lemon, LU girls!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
1h2jrk.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
she must have missed the AFL club trying to cover up the rape scandal or the recent homophobic comments by an AFL player??

Seriously why do you Sydney people put up with such 5hit being laid on our sport in your own backyard?

Chook Norris

First Grade
Cannibal slur leaves bad taste at AFL lunch
June 17, 2010

AS A racism furore engulfs rugby league, Australian rules has again shown it is not rid of such prejudices either.

At an AFL function in Melbourne yesterday, the West Australian football legend Mal Brown referred to indigenous players - including one of the AFL's most famous, Nicky Winmar - as ''cannibals''.

Referring to poor ground lighting at some matches, he said: ''It actually disadvantaged us. We couldn't pick any of the cannibals. Nicky Winmar, Michael Mitchell. We didn't even get any white shirts to put on them.''

Brown's comments prompted some laughter in the room. But the MC, the former Melbourne star Garry Lyon, was embarrassed. ''You've just put us on the back page of every paper tomorrow,'' he said.

When contacted after the lunch, Lyon said: ''You can't control everyone. Everyone needs to take responsibility for things they do and say in this world these days, and Mal's big enough and old enough to understand that.''

On the way out of the function, Brown pointed at newspaper reporters and said: ''Don't you go writing what I said about those aborigines.''

The former Essendon player Simon Madden, the past players' representative on the AFL Players' Association's executive, said Brown's comments were ''uneducated''.

Brown did not respond to calls last night.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/cannibal-slur-leaves-bad-taste-at-afl-lunch-20100616-ygmi.html

m0nty

Juniors
What I don't get is why Johns would be using racist insults against black players... TO black players. I mean, does he think Timana's going to agree? "Yeah Joey, that GI is a black merkin, right on. They're all like that." It's so completely brainless.

How many times do we have to see a Johns brother look shocked and distraught on national TV after being called on their behaviour to realise that they're just not very bright?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
As for Beccy, I just sent a small email saying "I hate you".

What more can I say, theres nothing more that can be said about this whore.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Conversely, the AFL transcends class

Yeah, their players only impregnate girls from private schools, deal in class A drugs unlike our bogans and kill only the highest paid prostitutes.

Brutus

Referee
DUI Bec is of Victorian heritage, both her parents were ex-vics who moved to the Gold Coast.

And people have the gall to call her a RL journo. She hates the game with a passion.

Imagine the situation in reverse. She would have been run out of Melbourne many, many moons ago regardless of who she was sleeping with.

Last edited:

camsmith

Juniors
wow what a sh*t article. Pathetic. Not even I would be that biased and totally ignore the bad elements in AFL yet so exaggerate the bad within league. The bit about White Australia policy.. ffs.

Last edited:

Flapper

First Grade
I think I've just found the motivation to (a) revive my not very read blog ( my last entry being a Bec related blog which I should print out and frame) and (b) actually study to become a journalist. This sort of bias and slander shouldn't be allowed to go unchallenged.

Latest posts