What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Socceroos v Ghana

Eelementary

Post Whore
We were thrice penalized with the Kewell decision - he got sent off, it gave them the goal which essentially cost us the win, AND he misses our next game.

Bloody harsh for a handball.

We were thrice penalized with the Kewell decision - he got sent off, it gave them the goal which essentially cost us the win, AND he misses our next game.

Thats my biggest gripe on this, he was sent in the 25th minute so we have to play with 10men for 65mins, it was a penalty which is a 90% chance of a Goal and he misses the next game for handball, it was not intentional he didn't have timw to move the ball was hard and fast.
FIFA are playing with rules that are 100years old and have no room for interpretation.

TheParraboy

Staff member
well its a pretty simple equation now

Ghana def Germany
Australia def Serbia

easy :thumn .... second round here we come

The real upsetting thing if that happens is we most likely will play USA instead of the anticipated Poms in the rd of 16 :D

Kornstar

Coach
Primitive! That is all I will say about FIFA!

We were much better, had a few really good chances in the second half.....

mickdo

Coach
Sadly the red card was the right decision. However, the ref not giving a red for the shocking tackle on Bresciano later on was a disgrace. Cahill's tackle in the first game looked like a love tap compared to that. The inconsistency between refs and even within the same game is what ticks most supporters off. Socceroos redeemed themselves with that performance.

bartman

Immortal

A handball on the goal line that prevented a certain Ghana goal.

Sure they get the penalty (a 90% chance of the goal that was prevented) but they need something else too, otherwise all players would start doing a Kewell and standing in the goal mouth with their arms outstrecthed, and then have a whinge because "it wasn't intentional".

Kewell knows full well it's outside the rules and the decision was right, he's just such an arrogant wanker that he can't/won't admit he f**ked up.

Thats my biggest gripe on this, he was sent in the 25th minute so we have to play with 10men for 65mins, it was a penalty which is a 90% chance of a Goal and he misses the next game for handball, it was not intentional he didn't have timw to move the ball was hard and fast.
FIFA are playing with rules that are 100years old and have no room for interpretation.
The issue isn't Kewell didn't have time to move, it is that he shouldn't have put himself in that position (with arms outstretched in the goal mouth) where his arm stopping the ball going in was even a possibility.

junior009

Juniors
With each and every post of yours I read Bart, over a range of different topics, you reinforce one thing for me. You have no f**king clue what you are talking about.

I have watched the replay a number of times. I think Kewell was intending to put his chest in the way, however, as any human would do when a lighting bolt is coming towards them, he flinched away, & it then hit his arm. Not intentional, however - the rules are the rules.

My issue is not with Kewell or the ref. My issue is - why was the Ghanian winger allowed to get around 3 defenders before crossing the ball for the strike. That was terrible defence!

spartan2153

Juniors
Any where else on the field & i would say its not a card offence. BUt the fact is. He was standing on the line & unfortunately if it was not for his arm its a goal therefore giving the ref no option but to get the red out.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Sure they get the penalty (a 90% chance of the goal that was prevented) but they need something else too, otherwise all players would start doing a Kewell and standing in the goal mouth with their arms outstrecthed, and then have a whinge because "it wasn't intentional".

Kewell knows full well it's outside the rules and the decision was right, he's just such an arrogant wanker that he can't/won't admit he f**ked up.

The issue isn't Kewell didn't have time to move, it is that he shouldn't have put himself in that position (with arms outstretched in the goal mouth) where his arm stopping the ball going in was even a possibility.

I know it was the right call, but I still think it's harsh - it's a three-time penalty we suffer from it.

Eelementary

Post Whore
And what about Pim's tactics? A few pearlers:

* Take of Bresciano, arguably our most creative attacking player once Kewell was off
* Take off Holman, who was using his pace to win balls we never should have been in position to win anyway
* Put Rukavytsya on with 5 minutes left in the game

He is an awful coach IMO.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You know the funny thing, for those wanting to [righfully] criticise FIFA? They introduced a law that any tackle from behind was a red card, no questions asked. And the bloke who tackled Bresciano got off scott free...

mickdo

Coach
And what about Pim's tactics? A few pearlers:

* Take of Bresciano, arguably our most creative attacking player once Kewell was off
* Take off Holman, who was using his pace to win balls we never should have been in position to win anyway
* Put Rukavytsya on with 5 minutes left in the game

He is an awful coach IMO.

Actually I think all three were very good substitutions.

Bresciano looked to me like he was tiring, and as soon as Chipperfield came on he was involved in several chances, including a header over the top with his first touch.

Holman had done his job. We needed a tower up front to aim at with long balls with not much time left. Kennedy also very nearly created a few chances.

Maybe Ruka could have come on sooner, but you have to be careful in case an injury pops up late.

Lets not forget, Wilkshire had a golden chance to win it, and if he had chipped the keeper...

Don't get me wrong, Pim had an absolute shocker against Germany, but against Ghana he got everything right IMO.

mickdo

Coach
You know the funny thing, for those wanting to [righfully] criticise FIFA? They introduced a law that any tackle from behind was a red card, no questions asked. And the bloke who tackled Bresciano got off scott free...

Not quite scott free... he did get a yellow, but no question it should have been red

So, basically, if Germany beat Ghana and we beat Serbia then it will leave:

Germany 6
Australia 4
Ghana 4
Serbia 1

Ghana are currently +1 and we're currently -4 so we'd need to make up a 5 goal difference. If the games are won by 3 and 2 then we're even on differential.

What would happen then, considering our game was a draw and our differential was even? Would they go through because of a better defensive record or would we go through because of a better attacking record? Or something else?

spartan2153

Juniors
Australia need ghana to beat germany & a win agaisnt serbia & ausses are thru.

If germany beat ghana just hope its by 4 goals & a win for us will put us thru

fish eel

Immortal

Geeze Bart, thats really harsh IMO.

Yes I think it was a penalty. But it was unfortunate. Just one of those things. He didn't f**k up. sh*t just happens sometimes.

Incidently, Kewell could have had a penalty early on. We also could have had a penalty against Germany. We've had no rub of the green whatsoever.

Actually I think all three were very good substitutions.

Bresciano looked to me like he was tiring, and as soon as Chipperfield came on he was involved in several chances, including a header over the top with his first touch.

Holman had done his job. We needed a tower up front to aim at with long balls with not much time left. Kennedy also very nearly created a few chances.

Maybe Ruka could have come on sooner, but you have to be careful in case an injury pops up late.

Lets not forget, Wilkshire had a golden chance to win it, and if he had chipped the keeper...

Don't get me wrong, Pim had an absolute shocker against Germany, but against Ghana he got everything right IMO.

I agree, pretty much with everything you said. Right team, and right changes made reflected by the fact that, IMO, we were the more threatening side. Yes, they had more shots, but mainly from outside the area. We created more real chances. He had a fine line with the changes, because if he went to hard, and we conceded, the Cup was over.

As for the Wilkshire finish. Wrong player wrong place wrong time. He had an outstanding match, but that shot was the shot of a right back that rarely gets a sight of goal....

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
With each and every post of yours I read Bart, over a range of different topics, you reinforce one thing for me. You have no f**king clue what you are talking about.
:lol: Fair enough. I don't expect to have much common ground with everyone on an internet forum, other than support for the Parra Eels.

Free feel to put forward a different/your own opinion on any of these topics if you think you have more of/a different clue. But if all you've got to contribute is a personal comment, then the care factor is pretty low...

Latest posts