What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game vs Bunnies

Big Mick

Referee
Dont understand the sudden love for Purtell.

If you actually watched him closely you still would have seen worrying signs in his defense and his ability to get back and defend the kick.

Like the time they spread the ball to Merritt in the first half...Purtell was looking around wondering what the f**k to do. He was flat footed...AGAIN...Merritt kicked the ball down the sideline and when he recovered the kick Burns and Jennings made the tackle...Purtell was nowhere to be seen.

The only thing he did well was to take first hit up off the scrum..

He was the weakest of a great bunch. I'd still drop him.

maple_69

Bench
I don't think anyone is defending Purtell Mick just his poor defence is at least minimized on the wing. I'd keep Earl, shift Tighe back to the wing (although he did a good job, Gordon and Jennings just have to see ball) and dump Purtell. His only strength is in the air and with Cooper/Smith offering a target on that side of the field he really doesn't offer much.

Aside from the obvious guys like Gordon, Walsh and Mckendry who had stellar games last night, special mentions should go to Smith who looked bloody threatening last night, Pritchard who seems to be busting his gut a bit more frequently lately and Iosefa.

Elliott got the bench rotation right last night, swap Laurie out for Grant and we have a well oiled machine.

age.s

First Grade
special mentions should go to Smith who looked bloody threatening last night

This guy has to be one of the most underrated players going around atm. He's actually looking dangerous rather than just hardworking which is exactly what we need from him off the bench. He's been David Stagg with linebreaks.

mxlegend99

Referee
It's no secret that I'm not a fan of Nathan Smith. Although this year he has really been going well since returning to first grade after being dropped, and I actually believe he deserves a spot in our team for the first time since he has been here.

It's just a shame that Matt Elliott has stopped carrying one former Raiders despite form and picked another in his place. Nathan Smith was never as bad as Adrian Purtell - I only ever disliked his selection because at full strength we had an international starting backrow and he offered nothing from the bench. When Lewis was injured he was a great replacement for starting lock.

abpanther

Staff member
I agree that Elliot finally got the bench right, apart from Laurie but with his injury and the return of Tim Grant, a bench of Bell, McKendry, Smith and Iosefa is the way to go IMO.

Fibroman

First Grade
I'm not a fan of Nathan Smith either, but he gives 100 percent each week and isn't a speed bump in the line.

Purtell on the other hand offers nothing in attack and is a massive liability in defence. It's not his fault, he's just not up to first grade standard.

Bob Blair on the other hand is big, strong, fast, hits hard in defence, can bust the line and pop a pass. The fact that Minibus Elliott leave him out at Windsor is criminal and makes me feel physically sick.

Great to see Masada get some game time. I've watched Masada since he was playing SG Ball, and this young bloke was in the same class as Jennings at that age. Elliott needs to listen to the fans and give this bloke some more game time. Kingston is the No. 1 hooker in the club, but for Christ sake start using Masada as an extra running forward or at 1st receiver.

Sam McKendry and Timmy Grant are the 2 best young front rowers in the game. We are so blessed having a bloke like Petero in our side having a mentoring role while Grant and McKendry develop.

maple_69

Bench
Most then would agree that this is probably our best lineup going forward?
Coote, Tighe, Jennings, Gordon, Earl, Burns, Walsh, Grant, Kingston, Civ, Pritchard, Waterhouse, Lewis, Iosefa, Bell, Mckendry, Smith

Has a lot of balance, experience/youth, impact/workrate, defence/attack.

If we can get this side on the pitch its just down to Elliott to get them in the mood because that is a lineup that should be doing serious damage in the finals.

mxlegend99

Referee
Coote, Tighe, Jennings, Gordon, Earl, Burns, Walsh, Grant, Kingston, Civ, Pritchard, Waterhouse, Lewis, Iosefa, Bell, Mckendry, Smith

If we can get this side on the pitch its just down to Elliott to get them in the mood because that is a lineup that should be doing serious damage in the finals.
That line-up looks just about perfect to me. Throw Gavin Cooper in as 18th man and have him competing with Smith and Iosefa for a bench spot and it's without a doubt the best team we could field.

I'm praying that Purtell gets dropped when Coote is fit. But I fear that Elliott will drop Earl regardless of both players form at the time.

TheFrog

Coach

I'm not so sure Elliott will put Gordon in the centres at the expense of Purtell. But nor can he drop Sandor Earl, who has been a revelation on the wing, both in defence and attack. Perhaps this is all moot, as Coote quite possibly won't play again this year.

This team indeed could cause serious damage in the finals, especially if it gets the saloon passage ride to Week 3. For a team with no attack, we have scored 70 points more than any other team in the top 8. But I am very nervous about our continuing propensity for serious defensive meltdowns.

Penalty goal later on was Elliot showing us some mercy. Gotta respect that.

I suspect he was starting to wonder at the time where our next points were coming from.
I'm not a fan of Nathan Smith either, but he gives 100 percent each week and isn't a speed bump in the line.
Smith is a work in progress, and has come along in leaps and bounds this year. He has developed into a very mobile and dangerous wide running forward who can run, offload and tackle, but he does lack bulk. He reminds me of Craig Connor a little. I think he's one of the most underrated players in the NRL to be honest, and you could not for one second consider not having him in the squad.

Last edited:

EzyG

Juniors
Great game for the players & fans. If my maths is correct we need 1 win from 2 to secure a home semi.
Smith & Gordon hit some hot form igniting the whole team friday night. I don't know if I want to see the current team changed & at the same time I wouldn't want to see coote dropped or even/maybe/undecided see him slot back into fullback where he is such great value.

Big Mick

Referee
Smith?

I know he played well...but don't think he "ignited the team"

It was Walsh, Gordon and Lewis.

Everyone else was along for the ride.

Fibroman

First Grade
I'm no expert, but if all were fit this is how i would stack them up:
1. Coote
2. Tighe
3. Jennings
4. Blair
5. Gordon
6. Burns
7. Walsh
8. Petero
9. Kingston
10. McKendry
11. Bell
12. Waterhouse
13. Lewis

14. Pritchard
15. Grant
16. Iosefa
17. Cooper/Smith/Paulo/Penese

Coach: Fibroman
Manager: John Ibrahim.
Trainer: Alexis Texas

Sleep

Juniors
If I'm coach we run out with exactly the same side we did against Manly earlier this year.

That was when we were playing our best most consistent football. Though Smith is in great form right now and could replace Cooper.

EzyG

Juniors
Smith?

I know he played well...but don't think he "ignited the team"

It was Walsh, Gordon and Lewis.

Everyone else was along for the ride.

Smith has deserved more credit than due over the years. He always looks to give 110% every game and is definintely playing into some good form going into the finals. Flamboyant post but I am a Smithy Fan.

Walsh brought a much more dynamic style of attack than seen in the last few weeks. Great to see as a supporter. The whole team was great really

Doomednow

Bench
I was driving down to the snowy mountains on friday night so could only listen through inconsistent and distorted reception AM radio. Certainly pumped me up for the weekend. After the thrashing the bunnies gave us earlier in the year I was extremely happy with the result, even if bunnies weren't at their best. Please, Elliot, please continue to minimise Purtell's role in the team. He doesn't have a spot in a premiership winning team.

mxlegend99

Referee
I was driving down to the snowy mountains on friday night so could only listen through inconsistent and distorted reception AM radio. Certainly pumped me up for the weekend. After the thrashing the bunnies gave us earlier in the year I was extremely happy with the result, even if bunnies weren't at their best. Please, Elliot, please continue to minimise Purtell's role in the team. He doesn't have a spot in a premiership winning team.
Kick him out of the team altogether.

If Coote is still injured bring in Ryan Walker. Or David Simmons. Or Michael Mate. Anyone that is fit and not Adrian Purtell. We completely dominated that game yet he still managed to make the highlights reel for the opposition side.

Simple solution my fellow Pantherians.

If Coote was fit, move him to fullback. Gordon to centres (he has indicated on a few occasions that centre is his preferred position), Sandor remains on the wing with Tighe and Purtell can move to Windsor.

Easier said than done I suppose

Dave Q

Coach
I hope I made your trip up the M4 worth it. :shock:

Yep.

I met a guy who asked me who my favourite player was to which I replied "Nathan Merritt"

So the guy says "Hes mine too and btw, Im his uncle." So that was nice.

Other than that, the blood was flowing freely in the burrow 12 minutes and 18 nil or something. We were in for a long long night.

There was no consoling anyone who hung around for the ton.

You'll tear the Saints apart in the Grand Final.

I want to thank the guy who was abusing me and the little one on our way out, but I dont have to, because his mates gave him some stick for his dickheadery.

Oh well, theres always next year... Jenny.

betcats

Referee
I want to thank the guy who was abusing me and the little one on our way out, but I dont have to, because his mates gave him some stick for his dickheadery.

Oh well, theres always next year... Jenny.[/QUOTE]

Thats no good, atleast his mates got up him.