What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks like Lockyer's gone for the year

abpanther

Staff member
Forget about Darren Lockyer making a surprise return for the desperate Broncos against the Warriors on Friday night.

In fact, forget about seeing the gifted No.6 for the rest of 2010.

The strong mail I am getting out of Brisbane is that Lockyer won't play again this year.

The rib injury is worse than first thought and you can't do too much to speed up the recovery.

At 33, the body heals a lot slower than at 23.

Coach Ivan Henjak has ruled out a return – at least for the next week – but he's not letting on about the full extent of his star player's injury.

And I don't blame him for keeping it a secret.

The panic you saw in Queensland over those nude photos of Pauline Hanson would be nothing compared to the stampede if they found out the truth about their beloved Lockyer.

Brisbane are not a one-man team but they are the closest thing to it.
Without Locky they lack direction and can't score tries.

You won't win a comp on your defence alone, so without their captain's spark in attack the Broncos struggle big time.

Peter Wallace becomes the main playmaker and he is nothing out of the ordinary.

Penrith let him go so they obviously didn't feel they were losing an exceptional No.7 and you certainly don't do handstands watching him.

I picked Brisbane as my darkhorse for the comp five or six weeks ago but without Lockyer I have to retract that.

They may still sneak into the finals but it will be goodbye first week.

And that will make life interesting for Henjak.

The Broncos have made the finals for 18 seasons straight so failure is about as acceptable as Bundy Rum light up north.

My Sunshine State informants insist life is not rosy under Henjak and change could be imminent at Red Hill.

In the short-term, there will be more pain for the Broncos this weekend.

I can't see them getting past the Warriors in Auckland on Friday night, even though the Kiwis didn't overly impress me at Brookvale Oval the other night.

Other Round 25 winners will be Parramatta, Gold Coast, Canberra, Wests Tigers, Newcastle, Manly and Penrith.

Stick with me. I am on fire at the business end of the season.

http://sportal.com.au/league-opinion-display/lockyer-done-for-the-year-97322

I guess we can put a big red line through the Broncos this season

hattori hanzo

Juniors
I'm still confident we will see Lockyer this year, too many times before has he silenced the doubting Thomas' and this little rumour has been going around for a while.
I also think his comments about Henjack and his staff are nothing but BS to fill space in his column.Nothing article:roll:

Drew-Sta

Staff member
We have a media built on gossip, 'inside info' and 'take it from me'.

We're one screwed up culture.

Paullyboy

Coach
What are we basing this on? Some random person who has 'the good oil'? I still think Lockyer will play this weekend, and I definitely expect to see him play against us the following week.

gUt

Coach
No doubt News Limited will rush Brett Finch from their one News Limited controlled club to their other News Limited controlled club in order for News Limited to win the News Limited controlled NRL again. Cheating f**king merkins.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
I'm sure they would, and the history says they should too.

But Peter Peters is a tool .. whenever he "tips the winners" for the weekend, I think he has only tipped Dragons about 3 times all year ... LOL, chip on your shoulder much, Zorba?

renouf

Juniors
No Lockyer, No Brisbane...no finals.

I thought you said he was past it?

In any case, hes now aiming for next week, so might not be done with yet.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/08/25/2993272.htm?site=sport&section=rugbyleague
Lockyer no chance to face Warriors

Posted August 25, 2010 15:33:00

Broncos captain Darren Lockyer has confirmed he will definitely miss Friday night's important NRL clash against the Warriors.
Lockyer is hoping to be back calling the shots in a crunch game with the Raiders next Friday. (Getty Images: Cameron Spencer, file photo)

Broncos captain Darren Lockyer has confirmed he will definitely miss Friday night's important NRL clash against the Warriors.
Lockyer is recovering from rib cartilage damage and says he needs at least one more week on the sideline.
"They [ribs] are just not ready. I trained with the boys yesterday, got through half the session, but made the decision that this week they are just not up to it," he said from the side's camp in Coolum.
The champion five-eighth says rest is the best form of treatment.
"The more you stir them up the longer they will take to heal," he said.
"I just have to take it easy and let nature takes its course."
Brisbane is precariously placed on the edge of the top eight, equal with the ninth-placed Raiders and only one win ahead of the Rabbitohs, Knights, Eels and Bulldogs.
The Raiders are strong favourites against the Cowboys at home this week, and can leapfrog the Broncos into eighth spot with a win if Brisbane fails to arrest a two-game losing streak.
Canberra and Brisbane will then clash in the final round of the season at Lang Park with a shot at finals football potentially on the line.
"Early next week I'll do a bit of training and get a bit of a gauge on how they are going," Lockyer said.
"Hopefully they will be strong enough to play next Friday."
Also this weekend, the Rabbitohs take on the Eels, the Knights face the Dragons and the Bulldogs hosts Penrith.

Loudstrat

Coach
The only mail Peter Peters has is the GPS location of the Mr Whippy van.

Heather will play either this week or the next. I base that on the fact that Peter Peters said Parra wouldn't win the comp with O'Reilly and Stevens - and they did. OK - that was 29 years ago.......

Which means 2 things:
1) None of us have a clue when Heather will be back, and
2) Peter Peters is a fat hairy nonce.

dogslife

Coach
as a non brisbane supporter living in brisbane this excites me a little, because maybe i can stop hearing about this prick for a little while

broncos2011

If a journalist or media man say "My mail is..." you know it's BS he has made up.

Will be interesting times to see who takes 8th. Souths, eels, knights, broncs, canberra. I reckon the most likely is Broncos V Canberra to decide 8th.

*Paul*

Juniors
Whilst on Locky, though I don't have complete figures, it's probable he has played in more wins in first grade than any other player. Surpassing the probable former record holder Terry Lamb this season.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't know where this journalist is getting his mail from, I'm sure the rest of the club would like to know.

I don't think the Broncos are necessarily a one man club. Lockyer is just a vital piece of the puzzle and without him we're going to struggle at this stage of the season. To say the Broncos are a one man team would disservice the guys like Hoffman, Folau, Te'o, Gillett, Thaiday and Parker who have been absolutely phenomenal this season.

Latest posts