What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go afl!!!!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'ma born and bred NSW person.
Never played any code of footy but my sons have played RL,RU,Soccer,and Aussie Rules.
I have Blue and Gold blood but....
I am cheering the Red and the White and so are my children.
I go to the games with my ex Victorian friends who would never think of coming with me to Parra games.

oh come on, a Swannies fan ?

Xman

Bench
Twizzle are you from Sydney?

If so what is the general sentiment towards the Swans and the AFL in that city?

Seems the general attitude on here ranges from dislike to down right hostile!

adamkungl

Immortal

I would say the 'general attitude' in Sydney towards AFL is similar to Melbourne and Adelaide's towards NRL. A lot, probably the majority, of NRL fans dislike Aussie Rules.

That said, they have their fans, probably a few hundred thousand at a wild guess based on crowds, ratings, observation.

Xman

Bench
I would say the 'general attitude' in Sydney towards AFL is similar to Melbourne and Adelaide's towards NRL. A lot, probably the majority, of NRL fans dislike Aussie Rules.

That said, they have their fans, probably a few hundred thousand at a wild guess based on crowds, ratings, observation.

Gotta disagree with you there.

I live in Melbourne and have freinds who follow the AFL and the Storm. No one heckles them for their choice. It's another sport, big deal. Mostly Melbourne are indifferent to NRL. It's here but most are happy with the current code. The anti-AFL vibe coming from Sydney/ Brisbane seems much stronger. Terms like AFL and Victorian seem to accompany every post on the main boards. But essentially that is why I am asking. I wonder what it must be like to be a Swans supporter in Sydney. From down here it looks pretty hostile.

Also, if the Swans get 30k to matches plus 70-100k watching I would suggest there are more than just a few hundred. Otherwise they have astounding attendance and viewing percentages.

adamkungl

Immortal

I live in Melbourne and have freinds who follow the AFL and the Storm. No one heckles them for their choice. It's another sport, big deal. Mostly Melbourne are indifferent to NRL. It's here but most are happy with the current code. The anti-AFL vibe coming from Sydney/ Brisbane seems much stronger. Terms like AFL and Victorian seem to accompany every post on the main boards. But essentially that is why I am asking. I wonder what it must be like to be a Swans supporter in Sydney. From down here it looks pretty hostile.

Also, if the Swans get 30k to matches plus 70-100k watching I would suggest there are more than just a few hundred. Otherwise they have astounding attendance and viewing percentages.

Take a look at the comments on any article about NRL and AFL, or an NRL scandal. For every 'Victorian' and 'AFL' you get on here, there's a 'thugby' or 'no-neck neanderthal' comment.

As for fan figures, I mean a few hundred k that actively support them...there's probably double or triple that amount that claim they support the Swans but have never actually been to a game.

Flapper

First Grade

I lived in Perth, spent a vast amount of time in Adelaide, and I was HARASSED for liking NRL over AFL, so cram your f**king lies.

Xman

Bench
I lived in Perth, spent a vast amount of time in Adelaide, and I was HARASSED for liking NRL over AFL, so cram your f**king lies.

My observations are lies? Nice one flapper. Just another example of NRL hostility towards AFL.

Flapper

First Grade
My observations are lies? Nice one flapper. Just another example of NRL hostility towards AFL.

Is what I physically experienced a lie? Do you want to tell me that the people who harassed me for liking NRL over AFL were just lying? Be a man, answer yes or no, am I lying?

Xman

Bench
Is what I physically experienced a lie? Do you want to tell me that the people who harassed me for liking NRL over AFL were just lying? Be a man, answer yes or no, am I lying?

I never said you were lying. You said I was remember. If that is your story so be it. I can only say what I have experienced. I am asking what Swans supporters in Sydney have experienced.

Flapper

First Grade
I know one or two Swans fans, genreally they're happy to watch any sport. Unlike the AFL fans I have come across in Adelaide and Perth who have harassed me for preferring NRL over AFL.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

originally from Sydney but not a city person

I lived near Geelong for ages hence a Cats fan but being a League fan in Victoria was impossible, until the Storm came along there was zero coverage and the hatred for League was just unbelievable.

When you asked some one what to you hate about league, they couldn't tell you because they'd never seen a game, they hated it simply because it wasn't AFL. There arguments were totally illogical.

sportive cupid

Referee
I know one or two Swans fans, genreally they're happy to watch any sport. Unlike the AFL fans I have come across in Adelaide and Perth who have harassed me for preferring NRL over AFL.
The Swans are really a quite different case to most of the AFL clubs.Apart fron the old South Melbourne brigade,most are fairly recent converts and ex melbournites living in Sydney.They have a reputation as being a bit on the Chardonnay Sipping side. They tend to be people who like all sports and are happy to take on something new.

They are what most Sydney Leaguites think all AFL fans are like -and that are very very wrong!

Xman

Bench
The Swans are really a quite different case to most of the AFL clubs.Apart fron the old South Melbourne brigade,most are fairly recent converts and ex melbournites living in Sydney.They have a reputation as being a bit on the Chardonnay Sipping side. They tend to be people who like all sports and are happy to take on something new.

They are what most Sydney Leaguites think all AFL fans are like -and that are very very wrong!

Are you a Swans supporter?

In what way are they wrong?

sportive cupid

Referee
Are you a Swans supporter?

In what way are they wrong?
yeah I am.
I think they are wrong in that they think that AFL fans are mostly Chardonnay sipping somehow less working class die hard supporters of the game.

In my experience in attending games and knowing lots of Melbournites,most AFL supporters are died -in- the- wool supporters of their team and their sport. A bit like Leaguies really.

Xman

Bench
yeah I am.
I think they are wrong in that they think that AFL fans are mostly Chardonnay sipping somehow less working class die hard supporters of the game.

In my experience in attending games and knowing lots of Melbournites,most AFL supporters are died -in- the- wool supporters of their team and their sport. A bit like Leaguies really.

Cool.

This site is probably an extreme example of RL supporters attitudes towards AFL fans and I am sure (atleast I hope) it doesn't represent the normal fans attitude.

As I have said, I have two mates who have jumped on board the Storm and I think "great, no problems". I just don't really see the anti-RL attitude down here atleast in my social circle and other than the extreme morons like on BF I think RL is well tolerated as an alternative option. I hope it's similar up there for you guys.

I am proud of the crowds and following up there. The Swans have always been a bit of a favorite of mine, Roos is a champ, and the way the crowd gets into your home games is awesome.

adamkungl

Immortal
This site is probably an extreme example of RL supporters attitudes towards AFL fans and I am sure (atleast I hope) it doesn't represent the normal fans attitude.

Don't see how you can make that statement given you are only allowed in TFC...

AuckMel

Bench
Xman said:
Cool.

Please. You got exactly what you wanted. Your constant posts bagging Rugby league only provide further proof of this. Don't start crying now.

Xman said:
As I have said, I have two mates who have jumped on board the Storm and I think "great, no problems". I just don't really see the anti-RL attitude down here atleast in my social circle and other than the extreme morons like on BF I think RL is well tolerated as an alternative option. I hope it's similar up there for you guys.

It's because people know so little about the game in Melbourne. At least in NSW and QLD they've actually had an opportunity to pass judgment on the game of Aussie Rules.

IMO the people you call extreme (on a Rugby league website no less) aren't towards AFL fans but have a genuine dislike for a game they've been able to pass judgement on over many years of FTA coverage and promotion by the AFL.

Plenty of AFL fans believe that dislike for the game is fear and paranoia and I just don't buy that. Rugby league is king in NSW and QLD and will be for a long time to come.

Latest posts