What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Walsh

stretcher

Juniors
I disagree. Walsh has this team running like f**king clockwork, you can set your watch to our plays and defences do. And provided distance isn't a factor Walsh is the most accurate high kicker in the game, and among the best short along the ground. He'd be perfect at 7 with a dominant ball playing 6 like say Barrett or Campo, if his defence wasn't so awful. Problem would still be a dominant 6 would have to compete for the ball with what Walsh already has planned, it's why Walsh at 7 and Graham at 6 didn't work, Graham would just not get any ball in quality field position.

Elliot has to take a lot of the blame, Walsh running things at 7 and Graham being able to play what he saw and get the ball when he called it probably would have been our best bet this season, far too late now though.
Ive read everyones point on here about walsh but i think hes biggest problem is he wants to touch the ball every play in a couple of sets on the weekend he touched the ball four times out of the five tackles and then kicked it he needs to stand back let the front rowers take the ball forward off the dummy half then play off the back of that which will allow him to play more direct and not laterally like he has been it seems like he gets the ball and runs sideways looking to pick up runners which is why jennings will never get good early ball and if its not walsh doing its luke lewis running sideways and to a point waterhouse does but he has improved......

chrisD

Coach
Yeah pretty much, Walsh sees way too much ball, everything runs through Walsh, the only other player who gets some ball in opportunities to create is Lewis and I hate to say it, but he uses it far too often to run sideways.

Still Lewis has provided more quality ball to our backs than Walsh, and with how much more ball Walsh has gotten this season than any other player it's not really forgivable. Elliot has to take a big portion of the blame.

Panthers_God

Juniors
Penrith's Walsh unleashing running game

By David Beniuk AAP Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:44:25

Maligned over Penrith's habit of scoring the bulk of their tries from kicks, halfback Luke Walsh has vowed to unleash his running game.
The former Newcastle No.7 has racked up 31 try assists this year, most of them from his pinpoint kicking game.
But Walsh is adamant the Sydney Roosters will experience the other side of his game first-hand when they battle the Panthers in Saturday night's NRL elimination semi-final at the Sydney Football Stadium.
Asked if he felt pressure to run more as critics bemoaned Penrith's attack, the 23-year-old said: "None at all, but you'll be seeing some running out of me on Saturday night for sure, I can guarantee that.
"I'll be taking them on in the middle so I can't wait."
Walsh said he'd been neglecting an important part of his game.
"Last week's game (a 24-22 loss to Canberra) I didn't run the ball at all, I sort of just played catch and pass and they were just sliding off, picking our other players off," he said.
"So, as with every halfback in the competition, you've got to run the ball and make them honest so they're second guessing themselves.
"It's probably a big part of my game that's been quiet and it's probably a big part of my game that's really good, I just haven't used it enough but it will be out there on show on Saturday for sure."
Which isn't to say Walsh will forget about his kicking game, particularly if the do or die clash comes down to a field goal as the Roosters' miracle win over the Wests Tigers did at the end of regular time last week.
"I do a fair bit of practice ... as every half would do so if it gets down to that position it becomes second nature to you," Walsh said.
"I drop five over then I have someone putting pressure on me from every position possible so that's all you can do."
The Panthers are desperately searching for some consistency after the back end of their season started to resemble a rollercoaster ride and they dropped their guard against the Raiders.
"Just getting back in the grind, set for set, and getting back to our aggression in defence, that's what we've been really good at throughout the year so if we can get back to that we'll go a long way towards winning," Walsh said.
"We've got players all over the park that can score tries from anywhere so if we just play patient footy, kick to the corners, grind away, I think we'll come away with a result."

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsar...hs-walsh-unleashing-running-game/default.aspx

I said it last week I think but Walshy's running game isn't that bad he just seems too scared to run. At least he knows about the problem he is having and hoopefully he can rectify things this week.

murraymob

Coach
it may have been a better idea to just go out and run the ball rather than promote he is going to do it

franklin2323

Immortal
Good. Without being offensive. Walsh is aboriginal I am yet to meet an aboriginal that doesn't have a good step. He should use it everytime I have seen him run he carves teams up

maple_69

Bench
Very good news, will be interesting to see how he goes.
Maybe feeling the heat from Graham?
He did look better towards the end of the season though, perhaps his injury had him a bit cautious last week.

abpanther

Staff member
Great to hear, with him running and Coote returning, our attack should be better.

You know I don't think losing Waterhouse is that big a loss really, I think his form has been way down this season, particularly since Origin. He really hasn't made much impact at all with ball in hand, but he obviously gets through a mountain of work in defense. I would go as far as to say that Smith has played as well as Waterhouse this season.

The toughest loss is Pritchard as he is one of the few in our side with the genuine ability to break a game open, having said that he is also just as likely to go missing in this game as he usually does when we need him most.

franklin2323

Immortal
The toughest loss is Pritchard as he is one of the few in our side with the genuine ability to break a game open, having said that he is also just as likely to go missing in this game as he usually does when we need him most.

This is why Laurie must be on the bench even a couple of quick 10mins spells will get the oppostion thinking.

Smith/Lewis/Cooper 80 mins players. Bell, Grant/Puletua props give Laurie to other bench spot to go on after 20 in each 1/2 do some big hits a few offloads go off before he can get lazy

Weels

Juniors
Just a couple of things:
1. How was the panther going BEFORE Walshy arrived,eh!?
2. As was said before Walshy may not have played a running game,but he was playing the way the coach wanted.
3. Walshy does have a running game, I've seen him play the running game for years.
4. If or when you don't want him, please send him back to the Knights. He should
never have been allowed to leave in the 1st place.

Kilkenny

Coach

When our club announce the signing of Adam Blair to replace the loss of Frank Pritchard then I will be happy. Then and only then will we have a player who can cover the loss of Pritchard.

Resigning Nigel Plum doesn't fill me with optimism we are likely to be in the market for Adam Blair. If we actually attempting to sign Blair surely that extra few dollars we are paying Plum would have been handy.

chanticleer

Juniors
Walsh will OWN the myth that is Pearce on Sat night... Believe it

Cant believe the crap he cops from his own fans... You will all be praising him come Sat nite

soc123_au

Staff member

Cant believe the crap he cops from his own fans... You will all be praising him come Sat nite

I agree Pearce is a myth & Walsh is capable of holding his own in that match up. Biggest problem is Carney>>>>Burns, short of young Todd peeing on someones head between now & Saturday we will need some luck with him.

Part of our problem as Panthers supporters is I think we were spoilt with our number 7s for a long time. Brandy followed up by Gower is a hard act to follow. Back then we lacked the grunt up the middle to be successful. Now we have the grunt & a half that doesnt measure up to the last 2 long term 7s. Not Walsh's fault but there it is. Walsh has talent, but he is very frustrating, he shows glimpses of a good running game & then puts away again in favour of the kick. Dont know if its him or the coach.

mxlegend99

Referee

Atleast Mitchell Pearce can tackle.

I have very little confidence in Walsh winning us the game with his attack. But I have no doubt at all that his defence could cost us the game - he lets in very soft tries which the team has to work extremely hard to make up for.

franklin2323

Immortal
Atleast Mitchell Pearce can tackle.

I have very little confidence in Walsh winning us the game with his attack. But I have no doubt at all that his defence could cost us the game - he lets in very soft tries which the team has to work extremely hard to make up for.

Here's an example Chantileer.

We came 2nd with him. How good was Preston, Kimmorley or Orford defence after 50 odd games???

People forgot Walsh has played 52 games or something he is still learning

mxlegend99

Referee
Which one of those blokes wasn't willing to put their body on the line? Chris Sandow is one of the worst defenders in the NRL, but atleast he doesn't just step aside for blokes to stroll through.

I'd have no problem with him falling off tackles if he was putting in a genuine effort and just being beaten because he's trying to stop blokes 3 times his size. But when he puts an arm out or tries to grab a jersey of a bloke that much bigger then him, I have a huge problem with it.

Those weak attempts force the entire team to make up for them. Most players will put in weak efforts like that on occassion, but that's the way he defends most games.

We came second with him - but our halves changed numerous times and our team didn't really skip a beat. So him getting credit for it is ridiculous. Our forwards laid the platform and our backs turned his kicks into gold. His role has been massively overrated IMO.

franklin2323

Immortal
We came second with him - but our halves changed numerous times and our team didn't really skip a beat. So him getting credit for it is ridiculous. Our forwards laid the platform and our backs turned his kicks into gold. His role has been massively overrated IMO.

See this is what annoys me. He missed 5 or so games neither Graham or Burns got the Backs to turn their kicks to gold neither has try assists in double figures.

So some credit would have to be given for putting the right weight/height on the kicks