What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2010 Crowd Watch II

chrisc101

Juniors
I love how the Dragons fans all try and justify it.

I think the whole line, 'we owe it to the supporters and sponsors to play a home semi' as total BS.

The sponsors and the supporters didn't seem to worry about it back in the 80's and 90's, when we played semis at the SFS?

Guess what, we owe it to the future of the sport, NOT to play home semis at suburban grounds.

gronkathon

First Grade
Cut them both out of the competition!

Hardly.

Maybe use focussed marketing campaigns in areas that are faltering with attendance. Just because the current support is tragic for this time of year it is also the time to capitalise on the clubs making the finals. The NRl should have a war chest for these kind of scenarios

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

I think the whole line, 'we owe it to the supporters and sponsors to play a home semi' as total BS.

The sponsors and the supporters didn't seem to worry about it back in the 80's and 90's, when we played semis at the SFS?

Guess what, we owe it to the future of the sport, NOT to play home semis at suburban grounds.
Firstly, the Dragons fans continue to justify it because the attacks seemed to be aimed at them, not the NRL - the body who made the decision to award teams home ground finals in week one of the semi finals.

Secondly, at the start of the year, sponsors, corporates and members are all approached with an understanding that they'll see x amount of games at certain grounds, PLUS the possibility of a home ground final at the same venue/s - AS PER NRL GUIDELINES. As such, that becomes an expectation to be delivered. It is up to the NRL to change that.

The remark about the 80's and 90's is laughable, SFS semi's are no more, home ground finals are, and with that comes the NRL's set of rules. St George Illawarra abide by those. As the SFS is not one of their two home grounds, they do not choose to play there!

You know what? I totally agree semi finals shouldn't be at small grounds. But until the NRL decides to do away with that and enforce stricter guidelines on semi-final grounds, then this is the way it stays.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Firstly, the Dragons fans continue to justify it because the attacks seemed to be aimed at them, not the NRL - the body who made the decision to award teams home ground finals in week one of the semi finals.
Indeed .. not sure why Penrith aren't getting blasted here ... their ground looked 30% empty on Saturday night, and there were at least 2-3k Canberra fans there too compared with about 250 Manly fans on Sunday (in a ground which nevertheless looked packed).

Funny one from Brutus, though ... Brutus, what about 4 May 1975, when 23,582 rocked up to watch St George vs South Sydney??

BTW, in the past two seasons, Kogarah has had 5 of its 20 largest crowds since 1957, and I will maintain that Sudnay's crowd was bigger than R26 against Souths, which came in at #14 on that list.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Way to miss the point.

In the 80s and 90s, those where the NSWRL/ARL semi-finals rules, and the sponsors, corporates and supporters knew it at the beginning of the season. In the here and now, the NRL rules are different and the sponsors, corporates and supporters are again geared for it at the beginning of the season.

You want a complete moving of the goal post just before the finals. Stuff the club, just get the NRL to change the rules mid-stream. There's nothing logical about that.
chrisc101 said:
Lol. Going back to 80s and 90s and calling it the way of the future. Ah, and the hypocrisy never ends.

Brutus

Referee
Lol. Going back to 80s and 90s and calling it the way of the future. Ah, and the hypocrisy never ends.

Yeah stick with times, play semis out of 18k Kogarah. Gawd some people just don't know the meaning of the word progress. Kogarah is the future for both the Dragons and rugby league. Who cares what the non-believers think hey Willow.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yeah stick with times, play semis out of 18k Kogarah. Gawd some people just don't know the meaning of the word progress. Kogarah is the future for both the Dragons and rugby league. Who cares what the non-believers think hey Willow.
It's allright Brutus. I like you too. You're obviously passionate about your 'cause', and I can respect that.

But you just don't seem to truly take the logic of the debate on board. That being that this is an NRL decision made over the off-season, not in round 25 or 26. And your failure to recognise that means you don't always make a lot of sense.

MsStorm

Bench
I wonder if many neutrals will go to the Roosters v Panthers game.

I'd be going if I lived in Sydney. It should be a ripping game, similar to the Tigers/Roosters game and better to experience the game live, than sitting on the couch watching it on tv.

And its about time the NRL set it in concrete ALL finals in Sydney to be played at the larger venues. People will eventually get used to it, after the bitching and moaning.

chrisc101

Juniors
You want a complete moving of the goal post just before the finals. Stuff the club, just get the NRL to change the rules mid-stream. There's nothing logical about that.

Not at all, I want to it changed permanently, for all Sydney finals. No goal post moving here!

Timmah

Staff member
And its about time the NRL set it in concrete ALL finals in Sydney to be played at the larger venues. People will eventually get used to it, after the bitching and moaning.

Before the days of the Storm, this was the case in the 5 team series with all finals played at the SFS. It never guaranteed a big crowd.

Timmah

Staff member
Not at all, I want to it changed permanently, for all Sydney finals. No goal post moving here!
That doesn't seem to match with your criticism of the Dragons for keeping their allocated home semi final at Kogarah.

The point is, this sort of decision needs to be made by the NRL in the prior off-season. If they've said "home ground finals" then you can't go blaming STG (or Penrith for that matter).

What Dragons fans and others who understand the system keep saying is that as it stands at the moment, keeping it at Kogarah is the correct decision. If the NRL were to set guidelines which mean it should be played elsewhere, they would likely be followed by that and all clubs. But the NRL hasn't done that just yet, so the clubs are within their rights to play the games where they see fit. The home ground advantage for Saints is at Kogarah, they chose that.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm not aware of any NRL restriction. Interesting if there was one. The official NRL crowd figure was under by at least 3,000.

The police restriction was 18,000 but that seemed to be getting relaxed a little.

It was a 4:00pm kick off on a Sunday.

Yes it's miles away from the north shore. ;-)

It seems police was hesitant for safety reasons to have too many people on the hill.

Granted it was Mon night when we played there but the Parking was terrible to get there by train was worse. So I dare say not many neutral's would of turned up.

bag all you want but almost 70k came to watch 3 games I think that's a pretty good turnout. Especially with the Sunday and Sat night game's having later then usual kickoffs.

How come we didn't have 530, 730 and 3 that would of been better for attending games

Timmah

Staff member
If there's one criticism of Kogarah, it's that there's no available parking. It's a lottery trying to park in the streets around the ground to the point where you need to park kilometres away if you arrive within 30min of kickoff.

I know even at Brookvale and Toyota there are carparks near the Oval - although I think Brookvale's is in the Public School. Is the VIP car park in the school across from WJO always full?

franklin2323

Immortal
If there's one criticism of Kogarah, it's that there's no available parking. It's a lottery trying to park in the streets around the ground to the point where you need to park kilometres away if you arrive within 30min of kickoff.

I know even at Brookvale and Toyota there are carparks near the Oval - although I think Brookvale's is in the Public School. Is the VIP car park in the school across from WJO always full?

Everytime I have gone it's been full. Atleast Toyota and Brookvale have side streets you can park in.

So while the crowd may not of been as big as it prob should of been the location doesn't help. I would feel rorted if we moved our 'home' final

*Paul*

Juniors
Before the days of the Storm, this was the case in the 5 team series with all finals played at the SFS. It never guaranteed a big crowd.

Although it did average approx 34K. But this was mainly because there were no dud games under the final five system.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If there's one criticism of Kogarah, it's that there's no available parking.
Join the Leagues Club Tim. Very cheap (can't remember but it something like $15 per year when I got my 5 year membership). If you get there early enough, you can park in the club carpark for free.

Latest posts