What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good opportunity for WCC

Hoofhearted

Juniors
If ever there was a chance to market this game and raise it's profile it will be next year. Possibly the 2 most famous clubs in world Rugby League to face off, even a chance for a big crowd in Sydney if they wanted to have a go, from memory the last time Wigan played in Australia they beat the Bronco's in front of 50k.
I realise that this game will never be a genuine encounter because of scheduling issues, but in the competitive market we find ourselves in at the moment in Sydney, wouldn't it be great to offer the people something that the other code can't, a match against a champion side from the other side of the world. The AFL could only dream of such a thing.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Pity most of us didnt see the UK Grand Final, well done Ch 9. :roll:

It'll be an interesting match up, and you're right the most famous clubs in World Rugby League finally go up against each other. The two red and whites.

Whod be in the Wigan side these days?

O'Loughlin, Richards, Roberts, Fielden, Tomkins, Iafeta, Leulalai.

It'll be a good clash.

westie

Bench
I thought about that. But when you consider they got 15k or whatever it was to a semi, it's hard to imagine the Dragons fans backing up for this. You'd have to promote it from a Wigan point of view to the neutrals.

thorson1987

Coach
Pity most of us didnt see the UK Grand Final, well done Ch 9. :roll:

It'll be an interesting match up, and you're right the most famous clubs in World Rugby League finally go up against each other. The two red and whites.

Whod be in the Wigan side these days?

O'Loughlin, Richards, Roberts, Fielden, Tomkins, Iafeta, Leulalai.

It'll be a good clash.

Coached by McGuire to.

docbrown

Coach
Agreed, I've been thinking about this since I watched the SL final yesterday. The World Club Challenge is this great concept that's not being used to its full advantage.

For starters - it should be played at 25-30,000 minimum capacity stadium.

Secondly - the team who hosts it should be the team that performed better during the season and finals (in this case Wigan 80% compared to Dragons 74%).

As for when to play it (perhaps someone can put this in a poll):

a) Round 1 of the next season as the open game - it means a bye for those teams + 2 others in the first week, but a great way to open the season - con: not all the players from last year get to play

b) October 15th - two weeks after the grand finals - then play the 4 Nations after that - con: team players have to back up again

c) Play the 4 nations for 2-3 weeks, then have a break for one week at the end of october - play the WCC - then play the rest of the 4 nations

d) Play the 4 nations entirely and play the WCC after in November - con: probably too late to bring the team back together again

I'd be fine with either a or b, probably a) is better in terms of an end-of-season schedule and for promoting the game itself - as it's a time when people are focused on Rugby League, not cricket.

The last few games in England have drawn 27-35,000 odd. After winning a grand final, any Australian team would sell out the WCC game here i.e. Dragons @ SFS - 42,000

Last edited:

thommo4pm

Coach
I thought about that. But when you consider they got 15k or whatever it was to a semi, it's hard to imagine the Dragons fans backing up for this. You'd have to promote it from a Wigan point of view to the neutrals.

hmmm 40k + against the Tigers amongst a crowd of 71K, and over 65K Dragons fans yesterday. Yeah we struggle to turn up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Keep it England, they care about it. Will get a sell out at Wigan, lucky to get 20k in Sydney. Until we get the SL games at a decent time and build up a following for it in Oz then there will be but a passing interest in this game from here. Shame as it is usually a good game and played like they care.

WireMan

Bench
Agreed, I've been thinking about this since I watched the SL final yesterday. The World Club Challenge is this great concept that's not being used to its full advantage.

For starters - it should be played at 25-30,000 minimum capacity stadium.

Secondly - the team who hosts it should be the team that performed better during the season and finals (in this case Wigan 80% compared to Dragons 74%).

As for when to play it (perhaps someone can put this in a poll):

a) Round 1 of the next season as the open game - it means a bye for those teams + 2 others in the first week, but a great way to open the season - con: not all the players from last year get to play

b) October 15th - two weeks after the grand finals - then play the 4 Nations after that - con: team players have to back up again

c) Play the 4 nations for 2-3 weeks, then have a break for one week at the end of october - play the WCC - then play the rest of the 4 nations

d) Play the 4 nations entirely and play the WCC after in November - con: probably too late to bring the team back together again

I'd be fine with either a or b, probably a) is better in terms of an end-of-season schedule and for promoting the game itself - as it's a time when people are focused on Rugby League, not cricket.

The last few games in England have drawn 27-35,000 odd. After winning a grand final, any Australian team would sell out the WCC game here i.e. Dragons @ SFS - 42,000

Play it in two/three weeks in the country where the 4 nations is going to be. Use it as a promotional tool to say that its a game played in other areas.

However if we play it in Aus you lot will have to stop pretending you don't care. Not something i believe a lot of people are willing to do. ;-)

thommo4pm

Coach
Play it in two/three weeks in the country where the 4 nations is going to be. Use it as a promotional tool to say that its a game played in other areas.

However if we play it in Aus you lot will have to stop pretending you don't care. Not something i believe a lot of people are willing to do. ;-)

I can tell you, we Dragons fans care about it.
We want to beat Wigan and be crowned World Club Champions.

jim_57

Staff member
Keep it England, they care about it. Will get a sell out at Wigan, lucky to get 20k in Sydney. Until we get the SL games at a decent time and build up a following for it in Oz then there will be but a passing interest in this game from here. Shame as it is usually a good game and played like they care.

I'd travel to watch it. The WCC could/should be alot more than it currently is.

Cherry & White versus Red & White.

Who'll wear their away gear?

I'd say it will have to be Wigan, they have a dark blue alternate jersey where as the Dragons use two combos of red&white which would both clash with Wigan's main strip.

blake1979

Juniors
Im sorry i dont mean to spoil the party here but how can a club who has only been in existence since 1999 been considered in the top two famous clubs in the world . Certainly not in my books