What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG 4 Nations 30 Man Squad

Talanexor

Juniors
Needs more Segeyaro and Thompson IMO.

Injuries really hurt the smaller nations don't they? Very hard to replace a player like David Mead.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Injuries really hurt the smaller nations don't they? Very hard to replace a player like David Mead.

Ryan Tongia from the Titans NYC actually did a decent job as stand in for Mead in the PM's game. Couldn't belive how easily got on the outside of Uate after he got trapped in goal. Uate still chased him up field for another 15-20 metres but still got nowhere near him.

The position that they will struggle with is at halfback now that Keith Peters is out injured.

bender

Juniors
I think they will be surprisingly competitive.

However, it is a shame, that Nightingale, Costigan, Chan and Mead are not going to be playing in this game. I think that those 4 players would have given them the chance to lift to a competive level against the other three sides. And if they can unearth 2 or 3 locals an upset would not have been out of the question.

An upset would still not be totally out of the question, but it is very unlikely. I do think that they will be a lot better than people think. And i particularly look forward to some of their locals really producing some huge games. I think that injuries and loss of players hurt PNG far less than they hurt France, Samoa, Tonga, Wales etc. I still hope they turn the tournament on its head with at least one win, preferably early on in the tournament.

bender

Juniors
i think a combined pacific nations team would of been better to play up against the big 3
Okay, I know the dual eligibility problems etc.

But imagine if the 4th side looked something like this:

1. Hayne (fij)
2. Uate (Fij)
3. Glenn (CI)
4. Parker (PNG)
5. Tuquiri (Fij)
6. Mateo (Ton)
7. Groom (Fij)
13 Solomona (Ton)
12 Lauititi (sam)
11Costigan (Png)
10 Civonoceva (Fij)
9 LeoLatu (ton)
8 Kaufusi (Ton)

14 Puletua (Sam)
15 Sims(fij)
16 Puletua(Sam)
17 Storer (Fij)

I think a side like this (and there is still plenty of scope to add some talented younger players or islander locals to the side, if they are in good enough form) would have as strong a chance as England, or New Zealand and would add plenty to the competition.

jim_57

Staff member
Okay, I know the dual eligibility problems etc.

But imagine if the 4th side looked something like this:

1. Hayne (fij)
2. Uate (Fij)
3. Glenn (CI)
4. Parker (PNG)
5. Tuquiri (Fij)
6. Mateo (Ton)
7. Groom (Fij)
13 Solomona (Ton)
12 Lauititi (sam)
11Costigan (Png)
10 Civonoceva (Fij)
9 LeoLatu (ton)
8 Kaufusi (Ton)

14 Puletua (Sam)
15 Sims(fij)
16 Puletua(Sam)
17 Storer (Fij)

I think a side like this (and there is still plenty of scope to add some talented younger players or islander locals to the side, if they are in good enough form) would have as strong a chance as England, or New Zealand and would add plenty to the competition.

Don't mind the idea but PNG shouldn't be involved, the other 4 countries would be lucky to have half of PNG's population combined and RU is the main sport.

The NRL really needs to get off it's ass and sort out PNG, the fact there's only a handful in the NRL from a league mad country of 6 million is a joke. How about a quota of two PNG players in each club's Toyota Cup Squad and Salary Cap concessions for senior players. Set up an annual draft for the best juniors in PNG and let clubs sort out who they get to fill their quota of 2.

To add to this give the national team a game V NZ around origin time and they'll before too long be competitive. Especially if they get a decent stadium they would regularily beat the big 3 whenever they came to PNG.

Getting their national team up to scratch should be priority over a fantasy NRL side IMO, the NRL isn't going to give the country a team so as consolation they could be doing alot more to help the national team development.

mono_mal

Juniors
Good luck to the Kumuls for the upcoming Four Nations competition. They may yet shock audiences and are capable of an upset. Despite current turmoil it must be remembered that the Kumuls were convincing victors at the Pacific Cup, easily disposing of Cook Islands and Tonga, who themselves were competitive against the Kiwis in the same year. It is also only 2 years since they nearly upset England at the World Cup.

Hopefully a number of players from the SP Cup can follow in the footsteps of Parker, Wabo and Yere who have since impressed in English competitions and gained considerable experience.

The omission of a large number of players with professional experience might hurt the Kumuls though. A full strength team would have been a fair match for England at least.

PNG KUMULS XIII
1. Mead (Titans, NRL)
2. Mark (Hunslet Hawks, Championship 1)
3. Maori (Newtown Jets, NSWCup)
4. Yere (Sheffield, Championship)
5. Kambo (Newtown Jets, NSWCup)
6. Aiton (Sharks, NRL)
7. Peters (Newtown Jets, NSWCup)
8. Aizue (Halifax, Championship)
9. Wabo ( Hunslet, Championship 1)
10. Chan (Celtic Crusaders, Super League)
11. Costigan (Dragons, NRL)
12. Griffin (Northern Pridge, Qld Cup)
13. Parker (Featherstone, Championship)

Fampa

Juniors
I wish PNG all the best, but really, they're not going to be that competetive. As stated above, there should be incentives for clubs to sign players from minnow nations. But then players turn around and want to play for Australia or NZ so they abandon their home nations. Uate wants to play for Australia so won't play for Fiji. :x

But really who can blame them. How often do those countries play recognised internationals? Their clubs certainly wouldn't release them mid season and many wouldn't risk injury to their players in the off season.

The NRL needs to pull it's finger out and take a stance that supports international footy. League players will keep deserting to union while that code offers a greater ability to travel and play competetive tests.

PaulyTom

Juniors
Lets hope the 4 nations unearths some PNG talent that hopefully will end up in the NRL / QLD Cup or Super League.

hutch

First Grade
Visa's are so hard for them to get visa's unless they are employed fulltime by a club they can't play over here

this is the major problem. it seems hard to believe considering how many people we get emigrating to this country that our closest neighbours and biggest allies cant get a visa here to play sport. its disgraceful really!

franklin2323

Immortal
this is the major problem. it seems hard to believe considering how many people we get emigrating to this country that our closest neighbours and biggest allies cant get a visa here to play sport. its disgraceful really!

Yet people with a NZ passport have no problem. It should be all the pacific countries

chrisc101

Juniors
I really hope this can start something and raise this issue of PNG and get more players out here. I personally think that PNG can win the RL World Cup if the program was put in place.

DC_fan

Coach
A poor PNG could become the joke of the Four Nations. I can see some very big scores being run up against the Kumuls.

bender

Juniors
You wont be wishing that when New Zeland gets overconfident, rests some playsers, and PNG give them a shellacking.

jim_57

Staff member
Once again, I wish Samoa were in the 4 nations... have a look at their line up

Yehp and when a player has a good game for them against NZ they can play for Z the next week. :roll:

Samoa had their chance and failed, they never perform to their "paper potential". I'd rather have an understrength PNG there any day. If PNG could get their sh!t together and get a little bit of help from Australia then they have the potential to be a genuine contender at WC time. When they get a decent stadium in 2015 (?), they could very well turn that into a fortress.

Hopefully all these internal politics get worked out and the right thing is done by the NRL and RLIF to aid them because the potential is enourmous yet nearly completely ignored.