What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Eels stars Mick Cronin, Bob O'Reilly and Peter Wynn consider rebel ticket

bartman

Immortal
Last time, it was a voice for change.
Last time it was also a bit simple-minded sloganeering imo.

Even Sevens didn't realise that under the constitution no matter what the vote numbers all that 3P could hope to get elected were 5 of the 7 spots. But it didn't stop him and everyone who fell into line spouting nonsense about people having to vote for all 7 on a ticket to create change or whatever :lol:.

Now that we've had change, the best thing is to get the correct balance of people. We have some good people on both current boards. If we can improve that, wouldn't it be for the best?

Suity
I'm actually advocated that people not be blinded by a ticket and pick the best candidates for the correct balance last time around Suity, so you've no argument from me.

I guess everyone's definition of good people on boards will be different, and so (like last time) it's up to the current ones to convince us they are? Other than propaganda masquerading as a letter to members, (like last time, and with two months to go) I haven't seen much convincing from the current lot happening yet.

Sangreal 86

Juniors
There were plenty on both sides.

Back then it was the board vs the NPT.

I also seem to remember that Tony Zappia nominated for the board and withdrew at the start of the meeting before the voting happened because he was placed on the NPT's how to vote card without his consent.

I also have a memory of John Chidiac giving out how to vote cards for the NPT, and telling people to write their votes in pen as Fitzy could rub them out and change them if they were in Pencil.

Oh, those were the days!!!

Sangreal 86

Juniors
Wouldn't life be good if we had a great bunch of like-minded Directors who brought to the table a wide mix of experience with a common goal of success and without agendas, power grabbing antics and jobs for the boys.

You have that now, bar one, if only people who think this club belongs to them and wont go away would let these people do their job instead of putting out fires and being in court.

Gronk

Staff member
You have that now, bar one, if only people who think this club belongs to them and wont go away would let these people do their job instead of putting out fires and being in court.

Dude it's in court because you're trying to revoke his Life Membership.

What did Rambo say ? You drew First Blood. ;-)

Sangreal 86

Juniors
Okay so in the 2008 Financial year the LC made a loss of about 5 Million dollars, or at least that was what was declared. In the next years financial statement which indicated a 9 Million dollar loss, it stated that the club was using a new accounting model and based on that the previous years figures would have been a 1 million dollar profit.

The LC's 9 Million dollar loss, was a paper loss, the value of the properties went down by 4 million and the remodeling for Reno Gardens the outdoor pokies area, was included for the first time (having just been completed in late 2009). This meant that all of the depreciation on those purchases (not the purchases themselves but the fact that they depreciate over time) saw the other 4 million loss. With the club actually using about 1 million of savings to pay its mandated grants. $500,000 to the Rugby side, but since it was sold (the premises) it would be the last time that grant had to be paid and another $500,000 to other charities.

The Before that the club has been making solid profits since the Super League war ended.

The clubs Board did not say it only had 5 years worth of existence left to it. In reality neither did Denis, Denis simply stated that he could not Guarantee the Eels would be around in 5 years and there was an implication that the states poker machines taxes could be the cause.

Denis urged all members at the FC AGM in 2007 to write to their local MP and voice their concerns about the Pokie tax and what it was doing to our Sport.

Interestingly I believe there was a piece in the Sunday paper, that had Barry O'Farrell, Tim Mannah and a Tigers player pictured in the LC's reception area, saying that a Liberal government would roll back the poker machine taxes.

Now it is true that Ovo was the Chairman of the board when we had the Parramatta power. Which yes cost 12 million over 5 years, but in some of those years the club was spending between 4 and 6 million per year on the Football side and was still making 5 million profit per year.

Yes we bought a Rugby Team, well actually we bought a Rugby Club's licensed premises and the commitment to the team it was involved with. We bought that club cash, and still made the profits we made.

In 2004 when the poker machines taxes came in, the Power were cut, and other things that were not making money were as well. Perhaps you have heard of a few of them? The TAB at Sterlos. The Cumberland lounge was turned into a Money making Chinese restaurant! Yet the taxes started to cut into our bottom line.

I came onto this site in 2007 or maybe 2006 and spoke about my concerns that the LC was only making 1 million profit that year, yet most of the time my concerns went without much comment. I spoke with Ovo about them and he agreed it was a concern and told me that changes were being put in place to become more profitable with Bakers Mews.

I think that brings you pretty much up to date.

Twizzle Sir....Mr Administrator....whats MITS has posted here is fact, just as I did yesterday....why is MITS fact allowed and my 6 posts with fact are punted.

Forty20

First Grade
This is getting pretty ridiculous. No one and no party achieves anything remotely close to a positive result by getting involved in a slang match on the internet in a fan forum of all places.

You want to hear a tip from a precocious Gen Y lad? Spend less time trying to discredit your opponents and instead focus on developing your own campaign policies, for the better of our club...because in the end we have Australian politics if we want to witness awful campaigns that focus on personal attacks over policy.

It would be a shockingly pleasant experience if all parties involved would stand up and let themselves be judged simply on their own merits. A foolish hope but one can dream...

CrazyEel

Bench
This is getting pretty ridiculous. No one and no party achieves anything remotely close to a positive result by getting involved in a slang match on the internet in a fan forum of all places.

You want to hear a tip from a precocious Gen Y lad? Spend less time trying to discredit your opponents and instead focus on developing your own campaign policies, for the better of our club...because in the end we have Australian politics if we want to witness awful campaigns that focus on personal attacks over policy.

It would be a shockingly pleasant experience if all parties involved would stand up and let themselves be judged simply on their own merits. A foolish hope but one can dream...
LOL, that's not being precocious, it's being naive. Way back when I was a Gen Y I had those same visions of utopia, I quickly lost all that foolishness when I marched for peace and got sent to Vietnam for my troubles :lol:

I got it on e-mail for my purposes :D

Personally, as I know that most of the time the Admins won't tell you what something was deleted for. But Sevens, there is a difference between you and I.

I have never been part of a political campaign for this club. True I have been a long time friend of the Former chairman, but I have never been employed or volunteered in a club political campaign, I think that is important.

Also since 2004 or so when I joined this board from the club's official board (with a brief lay over at Planet Eels) I have provided information on this club and its back-end structure for many on here, I have provided notes on the past 4 AGM's to this site, indeed members of the previous and current boards along with Club employees have commented on my AGM's posts to the affect that I should be the minutes taker for the meeting. So maybe it is also my track record.

The Above question was raised by Jake about the clubs financial history in regards to the Power and the Two blues. Which I try to provide as best my memory serves.

If I was to show my colours on those topics, like for example. I loved the Power and went to many games, my one regret is that we didn't win the championship and that I wasn't there for the last game which was a grand final. But that is as always just my opinion.

Forty20

First Grade
LOL, that's not being precocious, it's being naive. Way back when I was a Gen Y I had those same visions of utopia, I quickly lost all that foolishness when I marched for peace and got sent to Vietnam for my troubles :lol:

It would be naive if my post wasn't ended in "A foolish hope but one can dream..."

I hold no illusions as to how this world works CrazyEel, having witnessed enough of it firsthand to long ago leave behind virtuous ideology but I fail to see how getting involved in a stupid slanging match on the internet benefits oneself or any associates they represent.

If anything Rothfield is sitting at his desk rubbing his hands in glee as ammunition for another article starring our club simply piles itself up for him. Who needs leaks when we have known personalities handing out ammo willingly?

CrazyEel

Bench
It would be naive if my post wasn't ended in "A foolish hope but one can dream..."

I hold no illusions as to how this world works CrazyEel, having witnessed enough of it firsthand to long ago leave behind virtuous ideology but I fail to see how getting involved in a stupid slanging match on the internet benefits oneself or any associates they represent.

If anything Rothfield is sitting at his desk rubbing his hands in glee as ammunition for another article starring our club simply piles itself up for him. Who needs leaks when we have known personalities handing out ammo willingly?
Because it is what people do! I think you missed my point, consider the fact we are dealing with human nature and explain what you would call the two highlighted statements in your sentence :D

Sorry, maybe it's just because of my old age but I just believe it naive to expect people to behave rationally and intelligently, utopia :lol:

Forty20

First Grade
Because it is what people do! I think you missed my point, consider the fact we are dealing with human nature and explain what you would call the two highlighted statements in your sentence :D

Sorry, maybe it's just because of my old age but I just believe it naive to expect people to behave rationally and intelligently, utopia :lol:

human_nature_wideweb__470x452,0.jpg

You have a point...there is nothing rational or intelligent about Human Nature :D

I tend to ration my rationality anyway, being crazy is so much more entertaining, right? ;-)

Gronk

Staff member
That's embarrassing.

What's embarrassing is that I seem to have a special friend who follows me around these forums providing his critique on my posts and I've never stopped to thank you for the time and thought that you afford me.

Thanks Bigfella ((((hugs))))

Hang on...so if I run for the board on my pro-Beards and pro-GODbraith ticket...does that mean I can't discuss Beards or GODbraith on this forum anymore?

Latest posts