What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG - NRL bid and other development

I was talking to Paul Broughton at the Cook Islands game yesterday. He is patron of the of the new Pacific federation as well as leading the PNG NRL bid.

I reckon their bid is not only sounding more and more plausible but the NRL would actually be mad not to go with them. Here are a few points he mentioned that should tick a lot of the boxes people expect of them.

Security - The new stadium will be like a copy of Skilled Park except it will have a Leagues Club style facility adjoining it and accomodation. Players will fly in, be bussed from the airport to this hotel style development next to the stadium and will be able to stay, train and play within the confines of the precinct before going home the same way they arrived.

Players - He said there are between 200,000 and 300,000 regular players in PNG. He reckons they could put together an under 16s team that would be competitive against Australia but due to having no NRL-style development of these players they can't keep up with other countries when they get to under 18s or 20s and by seniors they are well behind. But they are working on coach and trainer accreditation, training development officers and player identification and development to bring the current juniors up to the standard of the junior reps in Sydney and keep them there as they progress. Basically he said that in a few years PNG should be able to produce a home grown squad that is up to NRL standard and only invisages recruiting a few imports. The new schools programs up there are not only developing players better than ever before but they are keeping kids in school.

Money - the PNG government is backing the bid to the hilt. They have huge companies on board as sponsors already. The biggest piece of the puzzle is media rights. He said the plan is for the PNG government to buy the media rights from the NRL for $10m a year and to on-sell them to companies up there. That will match what New Zealand contributes to NRL rights. The government will make the money back essentially by doing deals with the mining companies, among others. This he said is the major selling point of the whole bid, the fact that PNG will hand the NRL an extra $10m a year on top of anything it gets from Nine, Fox etc. PNG was barely hit by the GFC, similar to Australia, and its economic prospects are very good for the future.

And now the rest - Unlike other Australian bids the PNG bid won't significantly dilute the talent in Australia (and NZ). It will bring with it a whole new player base. And it will be the biggest sporting club in its market from day one, unlike other cities like Perth where there is significant competition from other clubs.

So I reckon it sounds pretty good. He said the NRL has 10 boxes for them to tick and they have ticked nine of them. The media rights deal would be the last one. Gallop is going up there early next year to check it all out.

docbrown

Coach
That's great news and what I had expected/heard myself through the grapevine. They definitely deserve a team, you'd think though that it would be more likely 2017 though given WA & CC's prospects. I'd like to see PNG given a permanent International spot - with guaranteed home games in 2014 4/5 Nations, 2015/2016 Pacific Cup & maybe even PNG games for the 2017 World Cup. That would tide them over until hopefully PNG & QLD IV/NZ II can come in then and create the biggest sports comp in Australasia.

Give it to Gallop, Broughton and any number of other far more qualified judges. But hang on they have already been there and they are taking it seriously. So don't bother. It's happening. The stadium is being built, the financial and business plans are in place, sponsorship and government support is sewn up and player development is being ramped up. The naysaying of a few nuffies who refuse to even consider that the place is on the way up and has considered any potential problems won't stop it.

roopy

Referee
Quite frankly, the aus government should get on board as a foreign aid project.

The benefits for PNG in tourism, public health, national pride and any number of other areas would easily justify us spending the money, but if they didn't, just the public relations boost for Australia with our near neighbour would justify it.

I can't believe how many people are so small minded that they can't see the clear benefits of this for PNG, Australia and the NRL.

Sure, there will be problems to overcome, but the benefits will be greater by quantum degrees than the benefits of any other bid - maybe not in RL terms - but in the far more important humanitarian and international relations fields.

adamkungl

Immortal
2017 imo. I think Perth and CC are rightfully the next entrants to the NRL. Mind you, given that they would be providing a massive player pool and there would be close to zero talent dilution, there could be an argument for all 3 joining in 2013.

A 19 team comp with Perth, CC and PNG in 2013 is not completely insane.

Spitty

Juniors
I love the idea, but it is a long way off. It's certainly something to aim for maybe 10-15 years down the track.

I reckon 2015 is doable but 2017 is probably more realistic. It means kids who are 13-16 now and should come all the way through the development pathways they are putting in place over the next couple of years will be 20-23 and ready for the top grade. And it would give them plenty of time to prepare. Plus it would be great to have PNG enter the comp at the start of the season and then host their own games at the WC at the end of that year.

DINGb@T

Juniors
From the sounds of it we'll have two good 'pairs' in the Perth/CC bids and the Ipswich/PNG bid, each with a heartland/expansion pairing. 2012 for CC/Perth and 2015 for Ipswich/PNG?

adamkungl

Immortal
Personally I wouldn't bother with Adelaide unless it's a relocation. Without at least some kind of base of juniors and fans, it would be a pretty big drain. And unlike Melbourne, it isn't big or important enough to be worth it.

Is there any chance of them having an under 20's side in the Toyota cup first. The NRl should also provide salary cup exemptions to clubs who sign a PNG for the years proceeding their inclusion. This may be seen by some as helping another club but the AFL with their IC would do the same thing as they see the benefit of expanding the game before any club.:cool:

Broughton said he hoped to see the best young players who come through over the next few years channelled into, as he said it, the Queensland clubs.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I think its a good idea. Rugby League and NRL should use its advantages in fighting other codes. Having PNG brings a whole new dimension to the competition. I don't think we should discriminate against PNG because its a 3rd world country. As long as they have the cash and can provide security, its a great idea.

chrisc101

Juniors
Thanks very much for this detailed update. It is near impossible to find out what is going on up there.

This is very exciting news, PNG bring so much to the game and has been neglected for so long. I hope we can make things right, as I think the credibility of the international game hinges on PNG becoming the 4th top tier team.

juro

Bench
As an uninformed outsider, I saw too many hurdles in PNG's path. However, if the will is there from the right parties (government, big business), these hurdles could very well be cleared. All the best to them!

It would be great to have them in but they must be competitive or it may do more harm than good. In my view they really need to have say 20-25 NRL quality players running around now to make a decent side. They don't & there could be big scores each week which will not help.