What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet the invisibles (Aust v PNG)

DC_fan

Coach
Meet the Invisibles

590560-kangaroos.jpg

Kangaroos team ... Only 6,000 fans have purchased tickets to see the Kangaroos play PNG.
Picture: Cameron Richardson Source: The Sunday Telegraph

IN 1982, Kangaroos coach Frank Stanton tagged the undefeated Australian team "The Invincibles".

Now, 28 years later, the Australian team are in danger of becoming The Invisibles.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned that just 6000 tickets have been sold for Australia's opening clash of the Four Nations tournament against Papua New Guinea at Parramatta Stadium next Sunday.

Capacity at the ground is 22,000 and the match is Sydney's only chance to see the Kangaroos play in the competition. They face England in Melbourne and the Kiwis in New Zealand and the final is at Suncorp Stadium.

Despite the chance to watch captain Darren Lockyer further his claims to become an Immortal, or witness first-hand the wizardry of Billy Slater and the passion Paul Gallen has for the green and gold jersey, only a small section of league fans seem prepared to support their national team.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Yesterday, at an open training session at Parramatta's home ground, just over 100 fans showed up.

Yet National Rugby League and Australian Rugby League officials are refusing to panic.

They claim the decision to showcase the Kangaroos at Parramatta - instead of Homebush or the SFS - co-incided with the call to stage a curtain-raiser between Samoa and Tonga next Sunday.

"It's hard to say how many [spectators] we'll get, but we're certainly below where we'd want to be at the moment," NRL director of commercial and marketing Paul Kind said.

"We certainly would have liked to have been ahead of 10,000, and we're not.

"But Tonga and Samoa brought 11,000 on their own in the World Cup, so we remain confident.

"The whole purpose of playing at Parramatta - with three teams from the Pacific Islands and the Kangaroos - was to show the support of the cultural diversity to western Sydney and the idea of turning this Sunday afternoon into a celebration of the game out there.

"We're hopeful fans will respond to the fact the Kangaroos are playing their only game in Sydney."

ARL chief executive Geoff Carr also said the next seven days would clearly indicate the interest levels in the Four Nations tournament.

"I think the game is just starting to get some attention because obviously the people of Sydney have been consumed with the all-Sydney grand final," Carr said.

"What we've discovered with the Pacific nations playing out west in the past is that there is not a lot of people that pre-buy.
"I'm sure that there will be a good crowd."

Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens added yesterday: "The idea [to play only one game in Sydney] is obviously for New Zealand, who are playing three games at home.

"That's obviously set up to try to push plenty of rugby league into New Zealand ahead of the Rugby World Cup [next year].

"I think there'll be a good crowd here."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/meet-the-invisibles/story-e6frexnr-1225939591064

DC_fan

Coach
At this stage the crowd for next Sundays game does not look good. But their is still 7 days to go and with the right amount of promotion the game could still get a good crowd.

The problems I see with getting a good crowd are there has been little if any promotion for the game. I wonder how many people kniow we are playing PNG at Parramatta next Sunday? Plus did anyone know there was an open training session at the ground yesterday? It may explain as to why only 100 fans turned up.

The other problem I see for this game is that its the only game being played in Sydney. Fans attitude could be that if they don't care about giving us, if not more games then better quality games, then why should we pay good money to see a game we know Austrlaia will win with most likely will be a cricket score.

DC_fan

Coach
A big problem is drawing a crowd to the game could be the prices. Just checked the 4 Nations website and saw the prices for the game. Not cheap my friends. If I was going (I am not) then I would be looking at Category 3 seats. Which I assume are at the ends of the ground.

http://premier.ticketek.com.au/Shows/Show.aspx?sh=4NATIONS10

Date:
Sun 24 Oct 2010 4:00PM
Ticket pricing at:
Parramatta Stadium, NSW on
Sun 24 Oct 2010 4:00PM
Category 1
Adult $55.00 Junior (5-15yrs) $40.00 Concession $40.00 Family of 4 (2adl+2chn OR 1adl+3chn) $150.00

Category 2
Adult $40.00 Junior (5-15yrs) $25.00 Concession $25.00 Family of 4 (2adl+2chn OR 1adl+3chn) $105.00

Category 3
Adult $25.00 Junior (5-15yrs) $15.00 Concession $15.00 Family of 4 (2adl+2chn OR 1adl+3chn) $65.00

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah, $55/$40 to see PNG get flogged is a bit of a joke, I'll be getting cat 2.

Last edited:

docbrown

Coach
See the other thread about Geoff Carr as well to see why we also need a new set up for international fixtures/promotion.

If Aus vs PNG were played in Newcastle or Townsville, it could've been sold out if done right.

NZ v Samoa last night drew 11,000 btw.

DC_fan

Coach
See the other thread about Geoff Carr as well to see why we also need a new set up for international fixtures/promotion.

If Aus vs PNG were played in Newcastle or Townsville, it could've been sold out if done right.

NZ v Samoa last night drew 11,000 btw.

Interesting point you make. Actually that would have been a good idea. I wonder if anyone in the ARL thought of it? Probably not.

Chook Norris

First Grade
definitely should've been townsville, i remember the PNG supporters were out for that last time in the WC against England

Damn Australia, I would of thought a few more people might of come out to marvel at your skill in the "heartland" of Rugby League...

hutch

First Grade
how about the arl actually get out and promote the game and make sure the game sells out. fancy relying on tonga, samoan and png supporters to fill the stadium. id rather have a full house with 5k freebies or heavily reduced tickets than a half empty stadium.

Spitty

Juniors
They'll probably get a fair walk up crowd. I'm pretty sure that a large proportion of the Tonga v Samoa WC crowd were the walk up audience.

I know I'm gonna be a walk up crowd member.

But really, in Sydney they struggle to get big crowds to the biggest international games. Even when they're flogged in the media for months, so what do we expect.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Why? I'm a League fan but watching another PNG flogging doesn't exactly excite me. The idea of watching Tonga vs Samoa AND the Roos vs Kumuls is much more interesting but unless you're a diehard Leaguie or Tongan/Samoan/PNGan a guaranteed flogging just isn't going to get a crowd. Especially at $40 a pop.

And the game is being played in Sydney because if it wasn't there wouldn't be any Sydney games at all. They have the NZ game in NZ and the better drawing England in Melbourne to get a good crowd. Unless they pinched the final back from Brisbane the only remaining option was PNG. At least they've been sensible and given it a double feature + a smaller ground. At least now it'll be a good event.

chrisc101

Juniors
Dumb scheduling, just really stupid. If you schedule a game at a small ground, then it is hard to promote it as a big game. Should of taken it regionally with Newcastle the standout.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Dumb scheduling, just really stupid. If you schedule a game at a small ground, then it is hard to promote it as a big game. Should of taken it regionally with Newcastle the standout.

Agreed, I would have no problem with Sydney not hosting a game. If profits are made by having games away from Sydney, then so be it.

Main priority for everyone should be to make money. We need money first so we can develop nations.

Latest posts