What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weather: 4 Nations biggest enemy!

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
After awful weather turned a potential 18k crowd for AUS V PNG into 11k Weather again threatens to damage the credibility and financial success of the 4 Nations ahead of Australia's clash with England tonight. The weather in Melbourne Over the last week has been horrendous with widespread downpours resulting in mass flooding. It's been drizzling all day in Melbourne today and this is surely going to effect the crowd.

Melbourne sports fans seem to be a lot harder than sydney fans so hopefully they still turn up. What crowd do you think we can expect?

The 18th Man

Juniors
Melbourne sports fans are more resilent than most - I say 20,000+ will turn out for what will hopefully be a great game!

The 18th Man

Juniors
Most of us are.. Me and my bro went to the PNG game tho and sat in the rain for 4hrs so there's still a few true international fans in Syd.

You couldn't be more wrong in your assumption. Some of us chose to forgo our tickets and sitting in the rain as we viewed the health of family a little more important on that afternoon. By all reports, we made the right move.

If it were a perfect day and some chose to not turn up, I'd agree with you.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Just heard on ABC radio there hasn't been any rain in Melbourne since early this morning, the field is dry and they are expecting it to stay that way. Also pointed out that the streets are packed with people in RL gear, a bit of a buzz around apparently. Hopefully this means there will be a decent crowd. With that in mind this stadium actually looks quit full even when it's not, from memory it looked like a sell out at the final Storm game when there was actually just over 20K, so anything over 20K will be fine as far as appearance to the camera. Would like to see a sell out though.

pcpp

Juniors
Weather might help England though and "neutralise" the playing field a bit... if I remember correctly GB beat Australia in Sydney in 2006 in wet conditions

Quidgybo

Bench
You know I love this game. I want to see it succeed and reach its potential. And sometimes there are good reasons why it doesn't. But blaming the weather isn't one of them. Every other outdoor sport has to deal with both good and bad weather. Yet I don't hear any of the games that claim to be dominant sports in their home markets whinge even a tenth as much as we do about the weather. It we ever aspire to ever reach the heights of the Premier League or NFL (comps that flourish with significantly worse weather than the NRL has to handle), then we really need to stop settling for bad weather as an excuse.

Leigh.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
After awful weather turned a potential 18k crowd for AUS V PNG into 11k Weather again threatens to damage the credibility and financial success of the 4 Nations ahead of Australia's clash with England tonight. The weather in Melbourne Over the last week has been horrendous with widespread downpours resulting in mass flooding. It's been drizzling all day in Melbourne today and this is surely going to effect the crowd.

Melbourne sports fans seem to be a lot harder than sydney fans so hopefully they still turn up. What crowd do you think we can expect?
The difference is that the majority of seats at AAMI are UNDERCOVER, the minority of seats at Parramatta are undercover and they were all damn expensive too.
You know I love this game. I want to see it succeed and reach its potential. And sometimes there are good reasons why it doesn't. But blaming the weather isn't one of them. Every other outdoor sport has to deal with both good and bad weather. Yet I don't hear any of the games that claim to be dominant sports in their home markets whinge even a tenth as much as we do about the weather. It we ever aspire to ever reach the heights of the Premier League or NFL (comps that flourish with significantly worse weather than the NRL has to handle), then we really need to stop settling for bad weather as an excuse.

Leigh.
You're fair dinkum? You don't think people will stay away from a relatively open-air venue if there is a day of consistent, pouring rain leading into and during a match? There were a whole number of factors that led to the 11k figure last weekend. Given 15k were pre-sold, weather is a very good excuse.

Perth Red

Post Whore
should have played it here, been lovely for the last two weekends! At least the poms would have got a tan to take home.

Latest posts