What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 2: 4 NATIONS 2010: Kangaroos v Kumuls

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Forum 7s - 4 NATIONS - 2010
AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS V PAPUA NEW GUINEA KUMULS
logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg
-v-
badge_PNG_trans_100x104.gif

Non Terminator(c)----Titanic (c)

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams (F7s 4 Nations conditions):
* 3v3 (+ 4 reserves for each team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

FULL TIME: Saturday 6 November 2010 at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: gorilla

Venue: Suncorp Stadium​

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
flag_PNG_1.gif

The Kumuls, reeling from their smashing by a rampant oops sorry I obviously meant 'rampaging' Kiwi, call in the cavalry:

1. murphyscreek
2. bartman
3. bgdc

4. Willow
5. tits&tans

Mascot: Titanic

AUSTRALIA

Starting:
Non Terminator (Roosters)
Griffo346 (Rabbitohs)
Azkatro (Panthers)

Bench:
Dubopov (Dragons)
DragonPunk (Dragons)

murphyscreek

Coach
murphyscreek%20f7s%204%20nations%202010.jpg

750 Words OWC.

__________________________________________________ __________

Death Of A Monkey

For nigh on thirty-one years we’ve endured the taunts. Some in jest, and some curmudgeonly retrieved from the insidious inner working’s of the overdeveloped id. Yes, we’ve endured your ‘oh so funny’ strangling mimes and feigned gasps for air. But no more! We are Dragons supporters, the true believers, and the monkey is off our back.

Thirty-five years ago, a ten year old boy entered the hallowed turf, that was also known to many as the Sydney Cricket Ground. The boy, accompanied by his father, uncle, and eight year old brother, staked out a minute area of grass for themselves upon the prime real estate of the SCG hill. The boy had never seen so many people in one area, as thousands of strangers jostled for their own area of turf.

He was there to watch his first ever Rugby League Grand Final. To cheer for his team, St George, and hopefully watch them beat the Eastern Suburbs Roosters on this day in 1975. The Mighty Dragons! Who wore the same big red V as the boy had worn since he was five years old, for his own club, the South Lakes ‘Swampies’.

Although still too young to formulate complex patterns of thought, he somehow instinctively knew that this day could become something special to him. The crowd and the noise, seemed to emphasise this notion.

Initially, he had difficulty in viewing the match through the crowded throng of people, until his father lifted him up onto their (Dad's and Uncle Jeff’s) KB laden esky from where he could see the playing arena more clearly. The running commentary between his father and uncle helped also. Apparently Lord Ted Goodwin had collided heavily with Ian Schubert and whilst still playing, was doing so injured. And something was clearly wrong with Graeme Langlands, the Dragon‘s Captain/Coach, who struggled for co-ordination. It was looking grim and Saints were lucky to only be down five nil by halftime. The natural optimism of a child should have kicked in, but instead a dark foreboding encompassed him.

It started as an aching knot in the pit of his stomach. And as the possibility of losing increasingly took hold of him, the knot of pain grew larger, and travelled up into his chest cavity where the aching transformed into the unleashing of a thousand fluttering butterflies. His brow furrowed so hard his eyes hurt. Whilst his brain tried to take control, chanting at his involuntary physical reaction;

“This can’t be happening, this can’t be happening” over and over and over.

What transpired will always be remembered by those present that day as in the second half the relentless Roosters team scored painful try after painful try. Eight tries altogether. A right Royal flogging that as prophesised would become significant to the boy for ever. As if such a nasty scar on the psyche could ever be anything less than “forever”.

A few short weeks ago a middle aged man sat upon his lounge, drinking beer in a forlorn attempt to quell his state of anxiety. His beloved Dragons team had not won a Premiership for thirty-one years, and today would be taking on the Sydney Roosters (formerly Easts) in the Grand Final. The flashbacks were as inevitable as breathing. The kick off finally took place and the man, who was the sum total of his past experiences, became absorbed in the match via his fifty inch plasma screen. He was old enough to know that win or lose, this day would become another defining moment of his being, a milestone pointed towards future states of mind.

The first half commenced promisingly with the Dragons scoring first. But the Roosters began to turn things around on top of some uncharacteristic Dragon’s errors. By half-time the Roosters were in front eight-six, and the man began to experience a by now familiar dark foreboding.

It started as an aching knot in the pit of his stomach…

Then salvation. The Dragons emerged in the second half and began to take control of the match, as the man began to take control of his own central nervous system. The butterflies were not unleashed and the semblance of a scowl was replaced firstly by a smile, followed by a grin of increasing proportions the further the half progressed. With an unassailable lead, viewing the last ten minutes of the match was a bliss that totally obliterated thirty-one years of pain.

…and the monkey IS off our back.

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

Azkatro for the Kangaroos.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Cat's In The Cradle

It was the phone call that turned my life upside down.

"Congratulations son," the national coach told me. "You're touring."

As I heard the words I looked across to my heavily pregnant wife, and felt a sense of excitement - and dread.

I reckon she knew as soon as I looked at her what was happening. It was about the same moment that a certain song started to play in my head, over and over.

My child arrived just the other day,
He came to the world in the usual way.

We argued over it, but we both knew I had to go. To be honest, I'd been anticipating the possibility of this happening since the middle of the season. As it started to sink in that I was going to become a father, I found myself working harder. I was drawing on a newfound source of inspiration. Before, I was doing it for the passion of playing and competing, but now I sensed I could become something for my child to really aspire to, and be proud of.

There was also the heightened sense of responsibility. When the team needed a certain something, I found myself taking control. I think my subconscious was telling me - "You have to raise a child now. You have to learn to take control of the situation. Now go do it!"

No matter how much I thought about though, that bloody song just kept playing in my head. On the long flight to London I just couldn't sleep. I was talking to seasoned internationals about what it was like to tour, feeling the disappointment of being away from my wife when she needed me most and the anticipation of playing in front of English crowds ... still, it was stuck on repeat.

But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay;
He learned to walk while I was away.

It was while we were being shuttled to the venue for our first tour game that I received word from my tour manager.

"There was a message for you at the hotel, mate. Your wife's gone into labour. Everything is fine at this stage."

Being a father himself, he delivered the message in a very matter-of-fact way. But I really wished he didn't have to add "at this stage" on the end. That got me imagining all sorts of scenarios, mostly bad ones.

I had so much going on in my head while I was being handed my first ever Kangaroos jersey - by an Australian legend, of course - that I wish I could have the moment all over again. It was just an hour or so before kick off against our first opponents. With the English supporters already in full voice, the atmosphere was incredible.

For another half-hour I alternated between sitting and pacing around the dressing room. A few of the blokes reassured me but I didn't really listen. After the coach gave us a few words to get us ready for the game, the tour manager came straight over to me and pulled me aside. Again, my heart sank. What if it was bad news? He led me to a phone which someone was holding out to me. I grabbed it and said "Hello?" My voice cracked, I was so nervous at what I was about to hear.

I can't even begin to describe the overwhelming feeling of joy I heard in my wife's voice when, in a mixture of tears and laughter, she managed to tell me "It's a boy!"

The elation I felt was unbelievable. I cried out loud enough for everybody to hear me. "Yes! YES! It's a boy! It's a boy!" All I could do was sob into the receiver as everybody within earshot applauded and congratulated me. And then I heard the most beautiful sound in the world. My newborn baby boy cried out and the sounds of his voice cut through the applause and into my ear for the first time. It was the most amazing thing I had ever felt.

And as I ran out in the English cold for the first time wearing my long-sleeved Kangaroo jumper, I couldn't have felt more invincible. And as I sang the Australian anthem, that song popped into my head again. But this time it sounded different. It sounded better.

When you comin' home Dad, I don't know when;
But we'll get together then, Son.
You know we'll have a good time then.

---------------------------------------------------------------

747 words. Liftoff!

Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

Non Terminator, in his eighth Test match for the almighty Kangaroos.
749 OWC.

THE DW FACTOR (Not The Danny Weidler Factor)

Ironically, the Wigan Warriors' home ground is called DW Stadium. The name is taken from the owner of current Premier League soccer side Wigan Athletic (who share the stadium with the Warriors), David Whelan. However, the stadium lights will be set to shine on the night of the 27th of February next year as DW will stand for nothing but Dragons-Warriors. The two clubs who are arguably currently the best in the world of the sport will face off. Red and white versus red and white, the eighty minute battle will give one of the teams the right to be named World Club Champions. Now, despite my very well-known dislike of the St George Illawarra Dragons (especially following the 2010 NRL Grand Final) and my mutual not-so-caring attitude for the Wigan Warriors, I must admit this. I am f*cking excited. Not only will Rugby League return to me for the beginning of a new year (sorry to all those who I know who fear the return of me talking about nothing but league), it will also promise to be one of the best contested World Club Challenge games for quite a few years. History will be made one way or the other. Wigan have the chance to become the first club to win four World Club Challenges (currently being the only club to win three) and St George Illawarra have the chance to grab three consecutive victories for Australian teams (something that has never been accomplished). They could also become the first ever merger/joint-venture (whatever your preference) to win the competition.

The big question remains, how can you compare the two sides? Looking at the line-ups (which I've taken a drunken guess at beneath the main section of this article), there are some genuine superstars, such as Darius Boyd and Sam Tomkins. However, you can definitely say that both sides won their respective competitions through being an extremely tight unit, putting in outstanding team efforts week-by-week. There was a reason that these seventeen man units were able to win their competitions quite convincingly. The Dragons have proven themself to be one of the best defensive sides in the history of the game, whilst the Warriors have built their own tenacious reputation. They're extremely hungry to win, even hungrier than the sides they conquered in the Sydney Roosters and St Helens Saints (as much as it hurts to say that...come to think of it those two sides have already played the best World Club Challenge ever...).

The usual World Club Challenge advantages for the English clubs will apply. There will be no bigger number for Wigan than eighteen. The jersey has been retired, dedicated to the devoted fans of the club. The loud and proud Poms have always assisted the home side, and will do so again. Not only this, Wigan will have already begun their 2011 campaign. This means they already have had some very competitive games finished under the belt, so they will most certainly be match-fit. However, if Round One of this season has taught me anything, it is that the Dragons are able to fully combat that. If you cast your minds back, you would remember the near impossible completion rate that the Dragons were able to build. A rate, I believe, that was nowhere near touched during the entire season. The usual (expected) defensive tenacity was also there, along with Bennett's usual bag of surprises.

As soon as game day hits, whether you're as passionate as some of the most well-known Dragons fans on the LeagueUnlimited forums, or a non-supporter like myself, set the alarm for an early wake-up, grab a drink (on the rare occasion, the kind that keeps you awake) and a snack, ready to enjoy one of the greatest starts to a season.

...sh*t! Can't believe I'm this excited for a game involving St George/Illawarra in four or so months. Not like me...

F*ck you off-season!

St George/Illawarra Dragons
Darius Boyd, Brett Morris, Matt Cooper, Mark Gasnier, Jason Nightingale, Jamie Soward, Ben Hornby (c), Michael Weyman, Nathan Fien, Dan Hunt, Ben Creagh, Beau Scott, Dean Young.
Kyle Stanley, Matt Prior, Trent Merrin, Jon Green.
Coach: Wayne Bennett.

Wigan Warriors
Amos Roberts, Darrell Goudling, Martin Gleeson, George Carmont, Pat Richards, Sam Tomkins, Thomas Leuluai, Stuart Fielden, Michael McIlorum, Andy Coley, Harrison Hansen, Joel Tomkins, Sean O'Loughlin (c).
Brett Finch, Ryan Hoffman, Jeff Lima, Paul Prescott.
Coach: Michael McGuire.

bgdc

Juniors
flag_PNG_1.gif

bgdc for Papua New Guinea - stand aside and let a real woman take it up. How many words? Count them your bloody self.
===============================================================
bobby%2520fulltime%25202.jpg

Look-out, readers! Life's just put up another testing bomb or three for your old Uncle Bobby to defuse, and they’re straight out of the draw marked ‘personal dilemma’ (third from the top, incidentally).

I’ve always had time to help fellow professionals with their problems – from the sterling Peter Snorky, who at one time couldn’t leave the changing rooms without doing 37 laps round the physio’s treatment table with his jock strap on his head, to the hulking Stevie “Roach” Stomper and his embarrassing inability to pronounce the word ‘taramasalata’.

Let’s see what postman Triki "Liki Stiki Diki" Riki (who’s thriving in his new line of work) has brought today...

Dear Bobby,

I’ve been with my club for a season now and our successful relationship has been built on trust and mutual respect. However, recently my coach has been asking me to go down in the ruck and I’m just not comfortable with the idea.

I know that some players are happy to sink to their knees at the mere prospect of physical contact but I’ve always played hard to tackle in any position. My old man brought me up to believe in honesty and fair play. I know he'd be ashamed to think of me throwing myself around like a cheap Yawnion import (or poofs, as Dad calls them).

Now the coach says that if I don’t start going down for him, he’ll elevate a player who will.

What should I do?

a.lotty@2query.com

Bobby says: Like your dad, I wouldn’t condone the kind of behaviour your coach is encouraging – during my playing days I was hurt many times by lithe wingers collapsing at my feet only to go running back into their cheering team-mates’ arms after the referee had given them what they wanted.

Personally, I blame the influx of ethnic European players, with their moustaches, fascination for ladies’ underarm hair and moral compasses that are dickier than my body’s capacity to absorb sugar. Just like frenetic Mario Androgynous, they are in a league of their own. Going down in the ruck is something you should only consider doing if a defender engages you in full, man-on-man congress. Even then, it’s sometimes best to stay on your feet as he whacks you with his tackle, just for your own peace of mind.

Stay strong, young man, and don’t be afraid to look for a new coach who won’t ask you to degrade yourself for a quick two points on a Sunday afternoon.

Dear Bobby,

I've been introduced to a new halves partner recently and we quickly developed an understanding. One thing led to another and before we knew it we were back at his home ground playing one-on-one.

However, when we got there we realised that neither of us had any shoulder pads. I said we'd be stupid to play without protection but he said it'd be fine and that you couldn’t pop your AC’s or even your DC’s in the thrust and bust of jab and stab.

I really wanted to play up outside of him but I just couldn’t stop myself shooting into the gap on his inside. However, the next morning after all the rough and tumble I found that I had pains in both my clavicles and I’m now worried that my career is up the spout.

I’m scared, what should I do?

son.of.wayne@pearce.net

Bobby says: Don’t worry SoW, the chances are very low that you are up the spout. Go straight to your club doctor and tell him what you did, while it is irresponsible, he will understand. You would be surprised how often this happens, even in this day and age when shoulder pads can be picked up from a vending machine in any changing room.

It is very easy to be won over by the smooth talking of an attractive six. I remember when I was young going out for a drink with the much vaunted Paul Fatboy. He said it would be fine if I didn’t bring my insulin with me, if I felt a bit groggy I could just grab a Cherry Ripe from the nearby Grope & Grind All Night Arcade Salon. Suffice to say the next day I paid the price, and it wasn’t just the $4.00 for a caramel, double malted milkshake either.

Remember, always wear protection, especially if you are playing rugby league with a complete stranger.Well readers, until next time, take it to the limit, toodle-oo.

===============================================================

Titanic

First Grade
Referee and opposing captain please note that due to unforeseen circumstances crowd favourite Bartman has been delayed in traffic on the Kokoda Trail and will be replaced by teen heart-throb Willow.

We apologise to fans, official guests and sponsors alike and assure you that Bartman will return once he repairs a faulty kafooffal valve.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
flag_PNG_1.gif
Titanic for the Kumuls
-----------------------------------
images

P
lenti No Gut

There can be no doubt that fighting is inherent in the culture of Papua New Guinea. One doesn’t have to look too hard at any portion of this volatile country’s history to find ample evidence to support this most primal of urges.

From the colonial perspective, it was once considered quaint to become immersed in the Somerset Maughan-esque lifestyle of the tropics, complete with emerald waters, jungled peaks, golden sands and dusky maidens. Add to that the allure of gold and the exotic menace of primitive headhunters, all with a backdrop of active volcanoes, hidden valleys and over seven hundred different dialects, setting the scene for an adventure novel… perhaps a paradise vanquished.

The irony of that phrase would not be lost on anyone who knows this potentially explosive Land of the Unexpected, but I digress. Whether it’s in legendary feats on the Kokoda Trail or the bar room tales of ‘in their cups’ heroes, the essence of PNG can only truly be depicted by a mosaic of battlefields and rugby league holds the pride of place.

On-field and off-field tragedies have marred the development of rugby league in PNG since those heady days when a well-intentioned but largely misguided Gough Whitlam handed the nation’s reigns over to a starry-eyed Michael Somare. Rugby league followed suit and the die was cast for the great game to disintegrate into tribalism.

Much has been written of PNG’s national obsession with the greatest game of all. Debates rage every time the Kumuls take the field, over their inability to excel given their indisputable toughness and passion for the sport. However, these very traits are what genius the country’s climb up the ladder towards professionalism.

Every village has a Marcus Bai or two or even three but how can they escape the web of nepotism that binds them?

Papua New Guineans are a people under siege, and the aggressors are themselves. In simplistic argument, the ultra-competitive nature of the PNG rugby league players is their downfall. Their need to win, their desire to compete and the inevitable disappointment for the statistical 50% who are losers, combines to defeat their enthusiasm. Rugby league is a game built around pressure and developing a controlled response to it. The average Papua New Guinean is ill-equipped to deal with that.

The pain and repercussions of defeat are as fickle as they are deadly. Today’s heroes are tomorrow’s villains… just ask Adrian Lam.

From their earliest days, they fight. They subsist yet they must fight for their existence, they fight for recognition and they fight for life. Winners reap the rewards while losers wallow in the mire envy. Tribe against tribe, clan against clan… the battle lines are often indistinct but the depth of feeling is formidable.

Rugby league fans judge success by the result of game, however, the support mechanisms cannot be ignored. No player has ever reached the heights of stardom without the requisite preparation. No team has ever won a premiership without a functioning administration. These are inarguable givens, so why should anybody expect Papua New Guinea, the land of fragmented loyalties and insular politics to excel?

In any competition there can only be one winner, leaving the majority to stare defeat in the face. In PNG this doesn’t mean ‘get off the floor and try again next season’, it means you are an abject failure and must be replaced.

The Kumuls are beaten by their internal system before they kick a ball in anger. Nepotism and the invariable "wantok" influence rear their heads and it's ‘game over’. The successful Kumul sides coached by Barry Wilson (late 1980's) and John Wagambie (early 1990's) were built around a nucleus of players who were allowed to stay together, until they lost and the ferocious local media pulled them apart.

Those teams didn't have NRL players, ESL players or returning overseas PNG players but were developed with care and due diligence by coaching staff who were able to get on with the job until their limited success irrationally inflated public expectations. Very sadly, the great names of PNG league, many of whom have gone on to successful careers, are now lost to the sport while another generation of power-hungry administrators fight over the bones in court.

Many fans would like a PNG NRL presence but the Bid Team’s longevity is precarious. Lam, Meninga, Kramer and Philemon have gone and the cynics have written them off already.

The jury awaits… a gritty fight or paradise lost?

Last edited:

gorilla

First Grade
PNG

murphyscreek
A simple story of redemption and ralisation over decades. A bit jumpy in composition.

bgdc
A cute 'double entendre' Agony Uncle style post. Could be better developed but showed nimble footwork and a deft swerve.

AUSTRALIA

Azkatro
Easy reading juxposition of momentus occasions through music lyrics, travel and distance from loved one(s).

Non Terminator
Good one-eyed summary of the next WCC and what the teams are based on, with evident passion. Team lists are a bit too easy filler.

PNG (162) def. AUSTRALIA (160)
A close match with the innovativeness of the bgdc post being the difference.

POTM: bgdc.

Note - the Titanic article was, unfortunately, not scored as the player was technically a 'mascot' and not listed as a reserve. Although four reserves are permitted, they can only be reserves if listed as so. Pedantic, but I think accurate.

Titanic

First Grade
Fair enough, Goz ... the only controversy in the 4 Nations NT is the general malaise demonstrated across the F7's community, imho.

murphyscreek

Coach
Phew....bad luck to the Roos. Was a close one. Thanks Ref and well done bgdc for getting us over the line.

bgdc

Juniors
Thank you Mr Gorilla for recognising what everybody else should know and that's that there is a place for women in rugby league.

And murphys', thanks, you're a winner on debut also don't worry about Titanic, he's just teasing them ... he has more ways than Danny Wicks to get up the nose of the opposition.

Last edited:
Fair enough, Goz ... the only controversy in the 4 Nations NT is the general malaise demonstrated across the F7's community, imho.

I hope my post didn't start any hard feelings. I do apologise wholeheartedly for Australia not having full posts in so far. It's a worry indeed. Good luck to PNG.

Titanic

First Grade
No need to apologise for your right and my error NT. The referee was correct and I was careless... the apology is from me to my team mates.

Latest posts