What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9: Willie Tonga could move to Parramatta

Stagger eel

Staff member
True but his point was to sign a halfback, my question is who is currently available?

Orford is not yet available and there is no one else, so if we sign Tonga are we still in the market for Orford if this so called sure thing happens?

Remember Stagger your PM to me laughing at my post about Orford not coming and you saying that the contracts were being signed as we speak, like you had inside information. Maybe your confidence in that has disappeared.

well the contracts need be drawn up to make the offer, the offer has been there for a while and I'm lead to believe that they won't be ammending it ;-)

True EEL

Bench
Stagger,

do u have any concrete knowledge of the situation with Orford and our club?
is it just now a matter of time in terms of him: (a) getting the much talked about release, and (b) then just deciding if its Parra or Canberra or team x?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Stagger,

do u ahve any concrete knowledge of the situation with Orford?
is it just now a matter of time of him: (a) getting the much talked about release, and (b) then just deciding if its Parra or Canberra or team x?

there's been constant contact between George Mimis and the club for quite some time however SK has made it clear that whilst we would like Ox at the club to a stop gap 1 season contract, we shouldn't be paying him overs..

another thing that that ER needs to understand is there's no point signing a contract if Bradford continue to own the rights to his services and they still seek compensation for his release which I believe Mimis and Bradford are in dispute of.

it's no surprise that Canberra have now firmed into the market since Monday when Monaghans cap space was freed up. I'm actually expecting him to go to Canberra.

the latest I'm hearing is the offer is still on the table.

True EEL

Bench
there's been constant contact between George Mimis and the club for quite some time however SK has made it clear that whilst we would like Ox at the club to a stop gap 1 season contract, we shouldn't be paying him overs..

another thing that that ER needs to understand is there's no point signing a contract if Bradford continue to own the rights to his services and they still seek compensation for his release which I believe Mimis and Bradford are in dispute of.

it's no surprise that Canberra have now firmed into the market since Monday when Monaghans cap space was freed up. I'm actually expecting him to go to Canberra.

thanks for the heads up.....much appreciated

tbh, i initially didn't want Orford, as I have never really ever rated him - which i have openly said on here - but after i while i came to my senses and realised he is a good, reliable, true halfback that could actually do wonders in just guiding the team around, so it would be ok if he signed. however, i totally agree about paying overs for him.....i have read in dispatches that Bradford want in the order of $200 k JUST for the transfer fee, which is ridiculous

if he doesn't come i still have faith in Robson, or maybe McGuire could play in the halves and we also have 2 exciting young halves prospects in Murray and Bruest, so its not all doom and gloom

Stagger eel

Staff member
thanks for the heads up.....much appreciated

tbh, i initially didn't want Orford, as I have never really ever rated him - which i have openly said on here - but after i while i came to my senses and realised he is a good, reliable, true halfback that could actually do wonders in just guiding the team around, so it would be ok if he signed. however, i totally agree about paying overs for him.....i have read in dispatches that Bradford want in the order of $200 k JUST for the transfer fee, which is ridiculous

if he doesn't come i still have faith in Robson, or maybe McGuire could play in the halves and we also have 2 exciting young halves prospects in Murray and Bruest, so its not all doom and gloom

don't be surprised if we start the year with Maguire at 7..

I spoke to a coach from another club a few weeks back who was convinced we'd make the top 4 if Orford was there.

True EEL

Bench
don't be surprised if we start the year with Maguire at 7..

I spoke to a coach from another club a few weeks back who was convinced we'd make the top 4 if Orford was there.

yeah that wouldn't surprise me either about McGuire at 7, or 6, he's probably a little more robust than Morts, so maybe 6, even though Morts should probably go back to 6 really...??

and yeah i could see that about us if Orford was there to direct things

carson

Juniors
Well SK would have played with Orford for quite a few years at the storm, maybe he knows something that we don't!!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
yeah maybe, it is 1 coach's opinion over another but I would bite the bullet and pay him premium rate for a year to do a job..

Yep I agree, if we have $700k to spend and there is no-one else, I would be happy to pay him $500k for a year.

lingard

Coach
If we did sign Tonga in the trials i would try

1. Hayne
2. Burt
3. Reddy
4. Tonga
5. Grothe

13. Tahu

Now before you call me a genius think about it, the way we play Hindmarsh is technically playing Lock cause he plays up the middle with. Smith on one side. and 13 on the other. and i think Tahu could play that role he would only be one more player in from the sideline. and his defence is upto, If i was SK and Tonga was at the club i would give it a go.

If we were going to play Tahu right out of position, I`d prefer to trial him at 6. But I`ve lost a lot of faith in Tahu`s ability this year.

mrpwnd

Bench
What is this centre on the bench nonsense?
Surely the last 2 years of origins have been examples that they don't work.

The Engineers Room

First Grade

What you need to read is your PM to me where you ridiculed my source then stated that the contracts were being signed. It is you who is claiming contracts were being signed not me.

I am not stupid enough to think you can sign a player to a contract when he under a current one, that is what you were claiming was happening to me. You are allowed to be wrong just don't be an a$$ to me about it and send me private messages titles "lol", which is directed at me.

Even when you are 100% wrong you still come off as a condesending tool.

The sooner people realise that you know as little as everyone else the better.

Bazal

Post Whore
I haven't got the sources of some on here, just some chuckleheads I used to play footy with. But for what it's worth, I have heard from another ex-Eels player that Tonga will only leave the Cows for Parramatta....thus, I expect him to sign for Brisbane within three minutes of me posting this.

bartman

Immortal
popcorn.jpg

Latest posts