What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congrats SK

mickdo

Coach
Frankly, who knows how SK will fare at the helm of Parra, as club footy is a totally different ballgame to the 4N. However it does show that he isn't some nuffy, and should put the 'is he qualified enough for the job or not' argument to one side for a while till we can see how he goes next year in the NRL.

mrpwnd

Bench
If Hayne was in the team NZ wouldn't have won.
If Hayne was in the NZ team, it would've been a thrashing.

Stagger eel

Staff member
SK will potentially have the poorest Parramatta roster in 15 years, I'd be happy to get within 2 to 3 wins of the 8.

I will however reasses my opinion if Ox signs which at the moment looks unlikely.

We don't need a Benji strider, we already have a game-breaker in Hayne. We just need a whole team performing well to see Hayne go to another level like Benji does at the Tigers and with the Kiwis.
we just need kearney to come up with a game plan to give hayne some time and space to work with he can do the rest

boxhead

First Grade
I think our current roster has one of the best forward packs in a long time, and great outside backs. Our hookers are fine - I think we will have to use Anthony Mitchell off the bench though, something I think Kearney has proved he knows what to do concerning Issac Luke with New Zealand - it's just our halves that have big question marks.

boxhead

First Grade
I think our current roster has one of the best forward packs in a long time, and great outside backs. Our hookers are fine - I think we will have to use Anthony Mitchell off the bench though, something I think Kearney has proved he knows what to do concerning Issac Luke with New Zealand - it's just our halves that have big question marks.

I think though that if we get Orford, we are all set.

Last edited:

jk13

First Grade
i thought nightingale again proved he is pound for pound the best winger in the comp at the moment.
its a pretty simple ingredient to win, have the players want to win for the coach and emblem. i'd luv to see this at the eels next year. bring on the big head!

Stagger eel

Staff member

please tell which clubs we over shadow in the forwards boxy, I'd be very interested to know.

Ollie Webb

Juniors
SK seems to be able to instill belief in his team and more importantly the ability to have his team dig deep and get dirty when they have to, this is something we have lacked in the past 2 years. Last night there were things going against NZ but they were able to hang in, that's what we need!

boxhead

First Grade
please tell which clubs we over shadow in the forwards boxy, I'd be very interested to know.

Well, in 2010 the stats told that we were one of the best defensive forward packs and also really high for metres gained. Our bench contributed a lot to that.

The only forward packs I think are better than ours at present would be Souths, Dragons, Raiders and that's about it. Sharks have always had a great forward pack the past few years as well.

When I said one of our best forward packs in a long time I meant for the Eels, not in general compared to other clubs. I know forwards have been a problem for us since the 90's.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Well, in 2010 the stats told that we were one of the best defensive forward packs and also really high for metres gained. Our bench contributed a lot to that.

The only forward packs I think are better than ours at present would be Souths, Dragons, Raiders and that's about it. Sharks have always had a great forward pack the past few years as well.

When I said one of our best forward packs in a long time I meant for the Eels, not in general compared to other clubs. I know forwards have been a problem for us since the 90's.

what?

Gold Coast, Manly the Warriors, the tigers, the roosters, the dogs and even the Cowboys have it over us atm.

Jodeci

Bench
We have in Hayne, its up to Jarryd to be that devastating attacking 6. Maybe Jarryd needs to get even fitter and considering his body is still growing, and if necessary, take off a few kilos. If he can get his fitness to perform for 80 minutes and not go through those wondering off in la la land walk-a-bouts he does from time to time, particularly when he gets a bit tired from too much attack etc, and particularly in hot and humid weather, he could be something like the next Wally Lewis. He is tough enough to be one, its only if he wants it enough to be one.
Who to be the 1 and 7???
or does Hayne stay at 1 for years to come and a Quade Cooper or a Cooper Cronk take on the 7 & 6 roll unless someone coming through the ranks or just purchased breaks through big-time.

It is important that we sign a quality 7 but Saints won the comp this year and their 7 is best at average.

Soward did all the kicking in general play and gave good ball to Cooper, Creagh and Gasiner in the back end of the season.

Boyd gave good service to Morris

Hornby if anything runs the ball to the line and is a great support player.

Dragons had structure and discipline, SK will bring this to our club.

big boppa eel

Juniors

I think though that if we get Orford, we are all set.
Boxhead your enthusiasm is refreshing though misguided and therefore your assessment of our team and its potential is that far off ,that at times it appears you are a little clueless, sorry mate, Im sure that the odd person as much as they may hate it will agree with me?

^b0ss^

Juniors
I think boxhead has mermit.
Just because we had a crap yr doesnt mean that every game that we lost it was lost in the forwards.
the forwards pack for new yr is a mean machine.
We bet manly at there home ground last yr with a forwards battle.(bet them twice)

Joely01

Bench
Perhaps those blinkers are still on.

I won't bother replying cause we should be praising SK efforts, board talk is old news.

I was surprised Issaac Luke came off as he started to look dangerous but he brought him back on just in time.

I thought SK (and i thought this as it happend) played his move to bring luke off then brilliantly, i always knew luke wouldnt be playing the rest of the game so SK had to think did he want him off with the last 15 mins of the game still left to play or take him off just after halftime and bring him back with 10 to go with the aussie forwards getting tired, and i think we all know which would be more dangerous. Again little things like that from SK makes me alot more confident then i was when we first signed him of how much he knows about the game. Well done SK.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
Now please weave your magic for Parra ;-)

Well done to the Kiwis. In all fairness, I think you will find it was Marshall "weaving the magic" out there but it was SK who managed to instill some belief in the whole team - which in turn flamed their passion to not give in. I commended him for that. It was Marshall though (& a few others) who were skillful enough to bring it home. I think you will find SK will be humble and say exactly that (if he has not already done so, I have not seen any press conference) - he seems to be a very fair & decent bloke.

As far as the Eels in 2011 go, we must not go off too early. There are a lot of you getting caught up in the emotion of the Kiwi's win. From what we have heard so far, Kearney wants Hayne to play a more typical fullback role. That means there will be much more pressure on the halves and Parramatta has no one near the ability of Marshall in those roles.

WOE

mrpwnd

Bench
what?

Gold Coast, Manly the Warriors, the tigers, the roosters, the dogs and even the Cowboys have it over us atm.
Is it wrong that I personally think we have a better pack on paper than those teams mentioned?
Of course performance, attitude and discipline as a team is suspect, just saying.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Is it wrong that I personally think we have a better pack on paper than those teams mentioned?
Of course performance, attitude and discipline as a team is suspect, just saying.

you can carry whatver opinion you want, I just think our ageing side will struggle and we may have some fine frontrowers, I still think we're suspect in our backrow.

lingard

Coach
SK will potentially have the poorest Parramatta roster in 15 years, I'd be happy to get within 2 to 3 wins of the 8.

I will however reasses my opinion if Ox signs which at the moment looks unlikely.

I completely agree with you Stagger. I think if supporters lower their sights a bit, they`ll enjoy 2011 a whole lot better. Our roster is very ordinary apart from one or two very good players. We`ve got Hayne, Mannah, maybe Shackleton, maybe Poore, maybe Smith, maybe Horo, maybe Tahu, maybe Reddy, of course, Hindmarsh. Burt and Grothe may or may not have good seasons. Apart from those, it`s pretty ordinary-looking. Maitua might prove a great addition, but more likely for 2012. Humble might be given a go and might excel.
I don`t mind, it`s kind of fun cheering on Parramatta when our stocks are low. Might be a fun year with no expectations.
I just hope we don`t hear any of this: "with all the stars Parramatta have, they should be doing better" nonsense. At least next year we shouldn`t have to put up with that stuff. (Just for the record, we haven`t had a 'star-studded' team for years. That`s all just media talk - and we fall for it.)

Last edited: