What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could this be the new NRL theme song?

docbrown

Coach
The melody is alright. I think the singer might have some key and stagefright issues, I can't understand him at times, but it could be the recording.

But I can tell you now how to immediately improve this song - double the tempo. You're playing it far too slow.

It's a 4 x 8 pattern. Although I hate them, listen to the drumbeat on 'Clocks' by Coldplay. That's the rhythm the drummer should be hitting - double the pace on your count-in and you'll see a big difference (this coming from an ex-drummer)

Eels Dude

Coach
As a song it's quite good so well done, though I cannot hear the lyrics properly due to the homemade clip and the singer himself. He looks like a stand who's just reading off notes. Overall though, sorry to say, it doesn't have the energy required to be a theme song for the NRL, it's just far too slow and doesn't scream excitement like an NRL theme song should. But well done on the good melody though, you should be able to pick up some gigs with songs like that.

MatthewA

Juniors
Definitely needs to be faster, as docbrown said. Song is nice, though. Could definitely be a theme.

Well done :)

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Well you get on youtube and have a dig you whinging twat. FFs the talentless f*ckwit would would struggle with Smoke On The Water on the bottom E string. F*ck off and go and overpay for something!

beave

Coach
It is pretty ordinary but LS, you have to admit that..........................

BunniesMan

Immortal
Song itself is decent, singer isn't very good, or maybe that's just the quality of the recording.

Offtopic, druid25 you posted 21 times in your first day. That gives you an average of....21 posts per day. BunniesMan average is approximetley 18. BunniesMan doesn't like someone having a higher posts per day average than BunniesMan. BunniesMan worked hard for that average with a lot of insightful commentary on this great game of ours. That average is like Bradman's batting average.

simostorm

Bench
Well you get on youtube and have a dig you whinging twat. FFs the talentless f*ckwit would would struggle with Smoke On The Water on the bottom E string. F*ck off and go and overpay for something!

abit upset arnt you.. you the guy singing the song right? :lol::lol:

carcharias

Immortal
Get the fat dude sucking piss on the lounge to sing.

Then it will be a hit!!

IMO......( and I have 20 years of playing in bands to form an opinion from )
It's too slow.
and yeah that drum thing ..what is that ...swing?
does't really get the blood pumping.

but hey .......enjoy it.
I was doing the exact same thing when I first started playing in bands.
Best time fo my life.

TheRam

Coach
Hey that could actually work if it was polished up at bit. "To be the best, you need a heart of gold". I like it. Great work fellas.

Now the trick is to get really lucky and fluke someone that has some influence in the corridors of League power to watch it and who can see the potential and the marketing value to make this happen.

Headlines could read something like this -

"Teenage fan/fans write leagues sensational new song to honour their love of the greatest game of all".

Get the general public behind it. Something like this would show that the fans that support the game can contribute in significant ways and be part of it no matter who you are. After all we the fans do own the game don't we?

Magpies

Juniors
Hi All,

My friends and I have been working on a new song. When we start playing a few gigs we hope that it is picked up by the new NRL commission and used as the new NRL theme song. We like to think it is inspirational

Please give us some feedback...

I found it hard to hear the singer at the start.. But he got into it and had a go.. It wasnt the worst I've heard

druid25

Juniors
Hey that could actually work if it was polished up at bit. "To be the best, you need a heart of gold". I like it. Great work fellas.

Now the trick is to get really lucky and fluke someone that has some influence in the corridors of League power to watch it and who can see the potential and the marketing value to make this happen.

Headlines could read something like this -

"Teenage fan/fans write leagues sensational new song to honour their love of the greatest game of all".

Get the general public behind it. Something like this would show that the fans that support the game can contribute in significant ways and be part of it no matter who you are. After all we the fans do own the game don't we?

Thanks TheRam,

That is the kind of useful comment we were expecting when the song was first posted. Although, I must disagree that it requires polishing, we like it raw. Our aim is most definately to have the song heard by a powerful man who may happen to be on these forums. Someone like Russell Crowe would be ideal.

Now, I must have my say to many of the other posters who have not provided any constructive comments whatsoever. Infact TheRams post was one of the only intelligent posts. To say the singer is crap is offensive. I myself am the singer and it was very difficult to put this up for the world to see. To say such things about me is hurtfull (not only to me but also my friends and family who are on this site) and to be honest wrong. I have had many music teachers tell me that I am a good singer.

Also the fat guy on the couch, as you put it so coldly, well he is my friend. He had major learning difficulties as a child so he would not be able to sing it like me, leave your cheap shots outside please.

For those who are supporting us in this quest to have this song as a background tune for next years SOO adds I have attached chords and lyrics for you to sing along with.

To be the Best
Chords: C, F, Am, G
I lived a dream
I was a cat amongst the pigeons
The reflex of a snake, the eye of a hawk
I broke the shackles
What does it take?
I'll tell you what it takes.
To be the best, you need courage
To be the best, you need strength
To be the best, you need a heart of gold
Yeah, I’ve had my struggles
My head’s been down
I followed the bad path
But I’m back at the top
What does it take?
I'll tell you what it takes.
(Solo)
I lived a dream
I was a cat amongst the pigeons
The reflex of a snake, the eye of a hawk
I broke the shackles
What does it take?
I'll tell you what it takes!
(Clap bridge)
I am the best (You are the best)
I am the best (You are the best)
I am the best (No, you are the best)
We are all the best.

mightyboy

Juniors
Wow. That's some top quality trolling from Druid25 above, or he's really made a mistake posting his song on here. Either way, this thread is about to get even better.

Druid25, you will never improve if you're only interested in hearing positive feedback. If you thought so song was perfect already, why bother asking what people think?

You may well be a good singer, but that recording doesn't show off your talent too well. You do seem to lack confidence with your voice in the clip. You're not singing very strongly and you don't seem passionate about the lyrics.

Have you considered recording the vocals separately and laying them over the top? Play the recording whilst wearing headphones so you can keep in time, and record the vocals to a separate track.

I agree, it's probably a little too slow. Ramp it up a bit... up the tempo, increase the passion.

Also, I'm not sure about the line "I followed the bad path", I don't think that's the sort of image the NRL wants to portray. I would suggest changing it to something along the lines of "but I never gave up", then changing the start of the the following line to "and" instead of "but".

I'd be prepared for a bit of an onslaught though. You're setting yourself up for a bit of trouble unless you're prepared to take some constructive criticism as well as positive.

People aren't nice to start with.

Good luck. Keep working at it.