What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eric Grothe Jr announces his retirement

boxhead

First Grade
Thanks for the news :)
When they say "soon" do they mean in the next few minutes or hours? That seems to be the trend with the Eels when they announce stuff on twitter (a couple minutes or hours later).

Gronk

Staff member
Bruce Gallaher, 75, still playing full-contact rugby

448227-dtstory-bruce-gallaher.jpg

Old and tough...Bruce Gallaher, 75, in action at the World Masters games. Picture: Phil Hillyard. Source: The Daily Telegraph

BRUCE Gallaher is 75 years old but plays his rugby like a man 10 years younger. He is another of those World Masters miracles.

He walked onto TG Millner Field yesterday with his team, the Old Thistles, down by some 30 points.
They sent out Bruce, perhaps the world's oldest rugby player. Certainly the world's oldest full-contact rugby player.
"I'm out of my depth physically but not as far as handling goes. I've played a lot of football," he said.
Masters rugby is a lesson in slow pain. To qualify you must be over 45 and possess a working heartbeat. Any sense of self-preservation for longevity is clearly optional.
Most players are strapped up like Bankstown trotters by the time they hit the paddock.

It's reasonable to wonder if, stripped of all that bandaging, what's left might just crumble.
When there's a collision on the field the players untangle themselves in slow, stilted movements.
Bruce, from Ballina, didn't need to get himself in shape because he has always kept himself in shape, playing Golden Oldies rugby and weekly touch and riding his bike.
The attraction for the opposition, Mosman, was former Wallaby Peter FitzSimons. Yesterday he walked off with a confession: "Peter FitzSimons got past me."
But Masters rugby is nothing if it is not about finding the positive.
"You're the first halfback he's ever beaten, Brucey," one teammate said.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...o-heaven-quicker/story-e6frexni-1225786449221

Snoochies

First Grade
Eric Grothe Jr quits in stunning blow to Parramatta Eels

056849-eric-grothe-parramatta-eels.jpg

No longer sitting on the fence .. Eels veteran Eric Grothe has called time on his career after failing to overcome a knee injury. Source: The Daily Telegraph

PARRAMATTA winger Eric Grothe has retired from the NRL this morning.

The former Origin star told his team mates and coach Stephen Kearney of his decision last night.
The blockbusting winger has been struggling in pre-season training with the knee injury that kept him out for much of last season.
It is a massive blow for the Eels, who will also be without Timana Tahu next year.
They had already lost Kristen Inu from last season't three-quarter line.
The Eels will put out a statement later today to announce his retirement.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-parramatta-eels/story-e6frexnr-1225970059995

:crazy::crazy::crazy:

EelsFan05

Bench
Can this off season get any worse? We missed him big time last year. Good luck in retirement Grothey.

guruminga

Juniors
What next? I reckon this'll be a hard year, but then again with zero expectations, we could do ok. Only time will tell.

G

Latest posts