What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowe / Souths - Jon bon Jovi is a supporter

legend

Coach
A lot of what they got up to is documented in the bio called Star Man, by Michael Francis. Great read on a guy who was head of security for Bon Jovi, KISS, Cher and a few others.

When they were in Australia in 1989 for the Jersey Syndicate tour, they spent a week in Port Douglas hosting the ultimate party at the Sheraton Mirage.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Good promo for the sport in Oz, but it'll take a lot more than that to try to replace Souffs' dole-bludger/pensioner image with a glamorous one.

And Souffs are part of the reason the NRL will never be big in markets like the US. How f***ing tough a sport does it sound with teams using bunny-wabbits, chickens and slimy long fish as their mascots???

BuffaloRules

Coach
And Souffs are part of the reason the NRL will never be big in markets like the US. How f***ing tough a sport does it sound with teams using bunny-wabbits, chickens and slimy long fish as their mascots???

Two famous US sports teams have pretty tough names... the Boston Red Sox and New York Knicks (named after Knickerbockers - a pair of cut off trousers)

I'm not a Souths fan but I rate the name and logo... its called tradition...

LazyDreamer

Bench
Two famous US sports teams have pretty tough names... the Boston Red Sox and New York Knicks (named after Knickerbockers - a pair of cut off trousers)

No argument re the tradition - the rabbit logo is synonymous with league...for those brought up with the game. But potential new fans aren't necessarily attracted by tradition.

And I assume the Knicks are, like the Red Sox (and the Chicago White Sox) a baseball team? I think a more accurate comparison would be with the NFL teams.

bobmar28

Bench

You want to talk about tradition? A couple of years ago I watched the 1970 grand final and was interested to see the Bunnies cheerleaders. That's 40 years ago. that is tradition.

carcharias

Immortal
Are all seppo's gonna run out and buy VB now?

bwhahahaa

not fuggen likely

Crowe is trying hard to promote the NRL .....but it will not make any difference.
They like their own sports that they are used to.

You may get a few that are keen on it .

I watch the winter Olympics every 4 years for the bob sled.
not much of a market for it here in Sydney though...like footy over there.

847564-oprah.jpg

LRC

A lot of what they got up to is documented in the bio called Star Man, by Michael Francis. Great read on a guy who was head of security for Bon Jovi, KISS, Cher and a few others.

When they were in Australia in 1989 for the Jersey Syndicate tour, they spent a week in Port Douglas hosting the ultimate party at the Sheraton Mirage.

Yes.. The infamous lost weekend... My mate went!! I was so jealous... Had to play a gig that night.

And mo I don't have photos from that era... No digital cams back then.

drake

First Grade
Rusty may be a wanker, but he uses his connections and celebrity status to push his club and it's profile.

I'd love to have a high profile wanker like Russell getting people talking about the Dragons. Luckily, we won the premiership to achieve the same end.

Russell is living the dream of most of us... can't play the game, so he does the next best thing.

Good luck to him.

I will still lol @ 50uffs and their deluded fans, but credit where it's due.

flamin

Juniors
Eight Rabbitohs, including Burgess, captain Roy Asotasi, Queensland Origin forward Dave Taylor and halfback Chris Sandow, attended the filming of The Oprah Winfrey Show at Sydney Opera House on Tuesday, and will feature on the program when it airs to an estimated television audience of more than 50 million in the United States next month.

That is HUGE exposure. It doesn't matter if not one person follows the game because of it - if you were a sponsor with the decision to sponsor a team that will be watched by a million people on the east coast of Australia or sponsor a team that will be watched by a million people on the east coast of Australia and every so often gets international exposure (whether its 50 million people watching or a few thousand) which would you choose?

Hutty1986

Immortal
Are all seppo's gonna run out and buy VB now?

bwhahahaa

not fuggen likely

Crowe is trying hard to promote the NRL .....but it will not make any difference.
They like their own sports that they are used to.

You may get a few that are keen on it .

I watch the winter Olympics every 4 years for the bob sled.
not much of a market for it here in Sydney though...like footy over there.

847564-oprah.jpg

You can just tell she loves the stuff with a passion

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Rusty may be a wanker, but he uses his connections and celebrity status to push his club and it's profile.

I'd love to have a high profile wanker like Russell getting people talking about the Dragons. Luckily, we won the premiership to achieve the same end.

Russell is living the dream of most of us... can't play the game, so he does the next best thing.

Good luck to him.

I will still lol @ 50uffs and their deluded fans, but credit where it's due.
Agree, Rusty is a wanker and boring as batsh*t but his enthuasism and passion for souths and the way he helps to promote the game is laudable.

My problem is that some souths fans make him out to be God's second son who can do no wrong and worship his every move, good and bad, as he attempts to take Souths to his promised land. And souths players seem equally star struck - Roy Asotasi's comments at the start of this year that the players wanted to win the comp for Russ were embarrasing. You win for yourself, your teammates and the club not for the boss' gratification.

Anyway, good on Russ for loving his club and wanting it to do well.
The same can be said of his singing.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Good promo for the sport in Oz, but it'll take a lot more than that to try to replace Souffs' dole-bludger/pensioner image with a glamorous one.
At our best we were the highest scoring team in the NRL regularly, when we put 40 on the Roosters in round 1 it'll be the start of another one of those eras.

They're used to names like the Dolphins, that's not a problem.

Agree, Rusty is a wanker and boring as batsh*t but his enthuasism and passion for souths and the way he helps to promote the game is laudable.

My problem is that some souths fans make him out to be God's second son who can do no wrong and worship his every move, good and bad, as he attempts to take Souths to his promised land. And souths players seem equally star struck - Roy Asotasi's comments at the start of this year that the players wanted to win the comp for Russ were embarrasing. You win for yourself, your teammates and the club not for the boss' gratification.
Considering he basically saved the club what's wrong with doing it for him? It doesn't mean they're doing it solely for him, it would be one motivator among many.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Considering he basically saved the club what's wrong with doing it for him? It doesn't mean they're doing it solely for him, it would be one motivator among many.
Here's the article:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-premiership-for/story-e6frexnr-1225836722974
You''ll probably dismiss it because its only 90% pro souths.

You win it for yourself and your team mates and the glory of your club, not to please your owner. If, not when, souths do win a premiership is it Russells or Souths? And is it about money for Russ or passion?

Your captain's message is not a great one. Hopefully for your club's sake he has changed this viewpoint since the article was written.

You are obviously one of those souths fans star struck by Russell.

Hutty1986

Immortal
You could say that Souths have been living on a prayer for 40 years. Conversely, you could face facts and admit they've been sh*t for 40 years

Latest posts