What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Second Brisbane team name poll

What should the area name be?

• Western

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Ipswich-Logan

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • Ipswich

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • South Brisbane

Votes: 35 43.2%

• Total voters

flippikat

Bench
You need to encompas the LARGEST area possible, not restrict it to the smallest one. Either you call them South Brisbane or West Brisbane or South Queensland. Those are the only three options that make sense.

Great point.

I think SE Queensland would be a mistake, as it's too much of an area to refer to, and anyway aren't the Broncos and Titans from SEQ too?

So it's West Brisbane or South Brisbane for mine.

There's pros and cons for either name to be honest..

If the team is based in the west of the city, then West is a natural choice, but assuming the Reds get admitted to the NRL,... in a league with WA Reds and Wests Tigers would another team with West in it's name be overkill?

So my choice would be for South Brisbane Jets. Colors to be Green and Black (a mix of the magpies and jets colors).

long run, I'd like to see 3 Brisbane-region teams. Brisbane Broncos, South Brisbane Jets, and North Brisbane Dolphins or Sharks if we're going down the relocation road (area being Redcliffe & Sunshine Coast)

Ideas for a North Brisbane Dolphins jersey I'd like to see light blue and maroon..it's a well worn color scheme in English soccer, and looked good on the centenary Australian jersey.

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
You make 2 brilliant points.

* AFL can't (or won't) accept that they have a key heartland area that's crying out for a team. Tasmania. It's all very well expanding the game, but it's a staggering move to ignore a region that loves your game. (especially for a sport that no-one outside of Australia cares about!)

* I too am worried about the lack of a New Zealand bid. With the Warriors now starting to find consistency from season to season, a case can now be made that NZ can support a second team. We even have some Kiwi-born coaches like Steve Kerney or Bluey McLennan that can coach a 2nd NZ based team.

In the long long run, I'd even love to see an NRL or UK Superleague team based in South Africa.. The real target to aim at in the long run should be Rugby Union, as AFL's expansion limits will be reached in about 5-10 years.

The Problem with SA is obviously the distance they are away from both the UK and Australia. It would be better to build their comp up into a major RL professional competition.

flippikat

Bench
The Problem with SA is obviously the distance they are away from both the UK and Australia. It would be better to build their comp up into a major RL professional competition.

Re: South Africa.

Sure, but the groundwork needs to begin now.

RL already has a MAJOR advantage over RU in that the Northern and Southern seasons are in synch with each other.

If we build the foundations now, I'd be happy to let the SARL decide what competition they want to enter. (Admittedly the UK Superleague works better for timezones & TV coverage)

Anyway, I'm getting awfully off topic.. My point is still that the long term future of RL is international, and trans-nation competitions will give us something that AFL will NEVER achieve.

some11

Referee
The Canterbury Bankstown-esque linked districts is to represent an area without a standout district centre such as Parramatta, Penrith, Newcastle etc. Of course, the three traditionally linked clubs are named after prominent localities which form an axis which is surrounded by the teams district. Logan-Ipswich doesn't have that save for a linked motorway, and because of this those that forsee rivalry/jealousy between each area have a point.

Cheers for explaining my point better.

mongoose

Coach
West Brisbane Jets or even just Brisbane Jets.

I don't think South Queensland would work, people will associate them with the disgraceful operation that was the Crushers.

Also, naming teams after suburbs is a thing of the past, plus Ipswich and Logan are a bit of a joke to the rest of Brisbane. 'Ipswich Jets' won't attract fans. Having Jets in the name is enough and the people of Ipswich will happily travel to Lang Park I would imagine, i mean who the f**k wants to hang out in Ipswich all the time anyway?

Basically it has to be a brand name that will attract the broadest range of fans and sponsorship, this is what the NRL will look at when they make a decision.

franklin2323

Immortal
The fact this discussion is proof neither team in Qld is ready IMO 3 years off. We have 2 teams ready to go. New stadiums, jerseys, names, sponsors etc. Both even have more members then some current teams

dgsfan

Juniors
But look at the Bears. Ugly as logo, sh*t jersey. Just because they're there doesn't mean they're ready. Given time the Jets will get there.

mongoose

Coach
But look at the Bears. Ugly as logo, sh*t jersey. Just because they're there doesn't mean they're ready. Given time the Jets will get there.

The only way the bears will get in is if one of the sydney clubs fold imo.

The NRL would be smarter to take advantage of the fast growing SE QLD area and also QLD's dominance in SOO over the last 5 years. Theres 3 million people in SE QLD, It can sustain a 3rd team easily.

The other option is Perth which would send a message to AFL and Union and make the competition more national.

franklin2323

Immortal
To come in 2013. They need to start signing players in 12months or so given we have no name, jersey even a stadium it will be a rush job & doomed to fail. 2015 at the earliest bring CQ & Ipswich in that time. The basics will be there just need the hiring

Fui!!!

Juniors
Has to be South Qld.

Then you would have North, Central and South Qld. Plus teams in the major cities (Brisbane and Gold Coast).

And by calling them South Qld you attract fans from all over the region. Not just Ipswich/Logan. But also Toowoomba and the Sunshine Coast. It's only about a 90 min drive from both those regions to Suncorp Stadium (according to google maps).

dgsfan

Juniors
You think it will take more than 12 months to come up with a name and jersey? It's been stated many time they will play out of Suncorp until their new stadium is built, you know, the best RL stadium in the world that only gets used by RL every second week 7 months of the year.

dgsfan

Juniors
Plus, if they are a Brisbane team I think they should play out of Suncorp full time. That stadium needs to be utilised more.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
To come in 2013. They need to start signing players in 12months or so given we have no name, jersey even a stadium it will be a rush job & doomed to fail. 2015 at the earliest bring CQ & Ipswich in that time. The basics will be there just need the hiring

The Titans were admitted to the comp before they had a jersey or a name. For the record the Jets have said that they’ll be having a public vote for the name/colours just like the Titans. The stadium is Lang Park, the premier football stadium in the nation.

Assuming that the two winning bid teams are announced midway through next season that leaves 18 months to sign players/support staff. Hardly rushed or doomed to fail.

franklin2323

Immortal
The Titans were admitted to the comp before they had a jersey or a name. For the record the Jets have said that they’ll be having a public vote for the name/colours just like the Titans. The stadium is Lang Park, the premier football stadium in the nation.

Assuming that the two winning bid teams are announced midway through next season that leaves 18 months to sign players/support staff. Hardly rushed or doomed to fail.
True but the Gold Coast were always going to be called GC & get skilled built. I don't want a team to be rushed into the comp. Will they be called Ipswich. West Brisbane? These things need to be worked out before corporate support can be sought. Then about $5-10m a year to run. Plus start up costs. I can't see that happening in 12 odd months. I want both QLD teams to come in but I don't them coming in & not being ready & either folding in the 1st few years. Or pull out in the 11th hour

dgsfan

Juniors
I don't want a team rushed as well, but just because the Jets bid isn't ready doens't mena we should invite CC. Wait until both the Reds and Jets are ready. Having said that I think they'll be plenty ready by 2013.

Reds & QLD 2010!

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't want a team rushed as well, but just because the Jets bid isn't ready doens't mena we should invite CC. Wait until both the Reds and Jets are ready. Having said that I think they'll be plenty ready by 2013.

Reds & QLD 2010!
If CC ticks all the boxes then why should they be excluded on the chance that the Jets come good. I don't think the IC would want a bye. If both business are equal Ipswich will prob get the nod. However there is a heap of work to be done before it can be considered. You guys have to realise CC is as far from Sydney as Ipswich is from Brisbane. So they are country & would be fine should they come in. Think of it this way. Yes they are 1 hour from Sydney. Go 1 hour north your north of Newcastle. 1 hour west your in 1 of the great places for Rugby League the bush. Yes both QLD teams have that. So any of the 3 is fine but Bears failed to the Titans & haven't stopped planning so are a mile down the track

dgsfan

Juniors
I don't see the need to expand in NSW is all. If we aren't going to expand outside of NSW then I'd rather keep the competition as it is. If there's no expansion in 2013 then I think we can all agree that the Bears are dead.

Reds & QLD 2013!