What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons crisis talks

I think we should explore the option of a QLD feeder team, I mean Melbourne did it for years and it produced all their stars!

Isn't this one of the problems the independent commission is going to address?

RL Tragic

Juniors
It would be good to see all clubs not just St george get behind the NSW Cup (change the name if needed - Is there a naming rights sponsor?) A proper 2nd tier all age competition is essential for development of NRL players. Surely if Shellharbour (where the facilities are sub standard) want more money then that money would be better off going towards strengthening the St George Illawarra brand by running their own team playing at OKI and Steelers Stadium or resurrecting the Illawarra Steelers with local sponsors from down there IMB, Port Kembla Coal terminal etc and it may just open up other sponsors as well for the NRL Dragons as it strengthens ties with the Illawarra region.

Benny

First Grade
I think we should explore the option of a QLD feeder team, I mean Melbourne did it for years and it produced all their stars!

Isn't this one of the problems the independent commission is going to address?

Canberra Raiders do that option and as a result the NSWRL have taken their Harold Matthews and SG Ball teams out of those competitions.

Manly also did this option until this season after being threatened with the same thing as has happened to the Raiders.

Canberra Raiders do that option and as a result the NSWRL have taken their Harold Matthews and SG Ball teams out of those competitions.

Manly also did this option until this season after being threatened with the same thing as has happened to the Raiders.

Hmm I knew there would be a catch..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I was thinking you would :sarcasm:
I'll explain my point in detail.

Surely if the JV bankrolled a NSW Cup side, it should be called the St George Illawarra Dragons (that being the JV).

If the Steelers Club was able to bankroll it, that would be an entirely different scenario. But I'm not aware of anything like that in the pipeline.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Funnily enough Benny - one of the major reasons three grades in one day is so rare is that many grounds (ones that aren't owned by clubs, which is most of them) actually don't want more than two games played on the ground in one day. Which is even more amazing if you consider the ground quality is much better than it was say, 20 years ago, when three grades was the norm.

I wish they played three grades though, great day out.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
That would be great but also impossible as Willow said. 28 years and the poor ol' Steelers still doing it tough financially.

The dead beats have got the whole of the Illawarra behind them and they can't bank roll a second division rugby league team. What a f**king joke they are. They don't deserve the name Illlawarra on the Dragons jumper. With a bit of luck after 2013 it will not be there and the Dragons will still own the junior base in the area. It's time for Illawarra to sink or swim.:lol:

Fingerbang

Bench
Big business pulled the plug on the Illawarra Steelers when the JV came together. BHP and Cleary Bros both said if the JV went ahead, they would not provide any monetary support to the Steelers side of the JV. The only way Steelers could have kept afloat, if at all, was with support of the larger companies in the Illawarra.

RedVee

First Grade
Who would finance it?

Arh, that is the problem.

I'll explain my point in detail.

Surely if the JV bankrolled a NSW Cup side, it should be called the St George Illawarra Dragons (that being the JV).

If the Steelers Club was able to bankroll it, that would be an entirely different scenario. But I'm not aware of anything like that in the pipeline.

The reason we went to SGI in the lower grades in 2000(?) was that the Steelers could not fund their teams.

My best option would be for the Steelers to live at the NSW Cup level, however you are correct in questioning whethwer they could, or would be prepared to, fund it.

The dead beats have got the whole of the Illawarra behind them and they can't bank roll a second division rugby league team. What a f**king joke they are. They don't deserve the name Illlawarra on the Dragons jumper. With a bit of luck after 2013 it will not be there and the Dragons will still own the junior base in the area. It's time for Illawarra to sink or swim.:lol:

I love it

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Big business pulled the plug on the Illawarra Steelers when the JV came together. BHP and Cleary Bros both said if the JV went ahead, they would not provide any monetary support to the Steelers side of the JV. The only way Steelers could have kept afloat, if at all, was with support of the larger companies in the Illawarra.

Stuff BHP and Cleary sisters....

Why is Illawarra not out there now sounding out all of these big companies in the Illawarra Area so they can bank roll a rugby league team in the NSW Cup. It's about time the Illawarra Steelers put more into this puppet joint venture other than juniors that half of are related to St George Dragons legends anyway.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Hell at the end of the day If the Illawarra Steelers can not stand tall and field a team in the NSW Cup. The St George Dragons should and don't tell me they can't afford it, because they can. Then they should use the juniors of both the St George district and the Illawarra region and players that don't make the NRL side to field a team.

END OF f**kING STORY

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
Arh, that is the problem.

The reason we went to SGI in the lower grades in 2000(?) was that the Steelers could not fund their teams.

My best option would be for the Steelers to live at the NSW Cup level, however you are correct in questioning whethwer they could, or would be prepared to, fund it.

The Illawarra Steelers should of smelt the roses back then and pulled their fingers out of their arses and made sure they had the finances in place to keep all their other junior and senior teams afloat then we would not have this f**king mess we have today.

Fingerbang

Bench
I just thank Christ that you are not involved in the JV in any way, Biker. It is obvious you have no idea of what was involved in the initial talks before the merger, as in marketing, sponsorship etc, outside company involvement or non involvement.

There is quite a bit more to it than what you are whinging about....and don't under sell the importance of the junior nursery the Illawarra region provides to the Dragons. Would be a shame to lose that to another club.

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors
I just thank Christ that you are not involved in the JV in any way, Biker. It is obvious you have no idea of what was involved in the initial talks before the merger, as in marketing, sponsorship etc, outside company involvement or non involvement.

There is quite a bit more to it than what you are whinging about....and don't under sell the importance of the junior nursery the Illawarra region provides to the Dragons. Would be a shame to lose that to another club.

Whinging!!....get a grip on reality, softy, it's stating what has to be stated. It's a disgrace and a joke that it has come to this, the premiers, with no feeder team. Yes I'm glad I was not part of the JV either, because if I was, it would have been a take over of the weak, not a helping hand, to end up until this stage....10 years of bullsh*t. Things started to get back on track at the Dragons after Bennett took over as coach. There is still a f**king long way to go till it's perfect and first cab off the rank is fixing this feeder team problem. To go thru a season without a real feeder team is f**king stupid dumbsh*t stuff and anybody that thinks otherwise is a f**king idiot without a clue.

NOW THAT'S MY RANT FOR THE DAY

GET f**kED AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL:lol:

Fingerbang

Bench
The so called feeder club for 2010, Shellharbour Dragons, never fielded more than 6 or 7 Dragons players in any week. The comp is the farce. Can you ever remember any Dragons 2nd grade team fielding non Dragons players? I can't.