What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arthur Beetson tipping Greg Inglis will end up playing in the forwards

DC_fan

Coach
Arthur Beetson tipping Greg Inglis will end up playing in the forwards
  • Steve Ricketts and Tyson Otto
106517-greg-inglis.jpg

Pack to the future ... Arthur Beetson is tipping a ballooning Greg Inglis will end up in the forwards. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

413881-greg-inglis.jpg

Source: The Courier-Mail

LEGENDARY rugby league prop Arthur Beetson has backed Test centre Greg Inglis to make the switch to the forwards if his weight continues to balloon.

Beetson, who started his career as a centre, said Inglis could have little choice but to switch to the pack if he gets any bigger, with the former Melbourne Storm star reporting for training with Souths at 120kg.
Inglis, who has signed a three-year deal with the Rabbitohs, had an injury-disrupted 2010, culminating in shoulder and hip surgery.

"It's taking him six to eight weeks to get into condition, and that's what used to happen in the old days with front-rowers," Beetson said.

"He's a big unit and he's probably tough enough for the forwards.

"He's got a bit more pace than I had and I can't see the switch happening for a while. But it's not out of the question."

Beetson said forward battles were not as fiery as in his day and the transition from the backs was not as difficult.

"The other codes used to look at league players as the elite of the gladiators, but I think we have lost some of that aura," he said.

When Beetson moved from Roma to play under Test forward Henry Holloway at Redcliffe in 1964, he was a bustling centre.

But the next year Holloway switched Beetson to the pack and he won the club's best player award, and on top of that a contract with Balmain.

Queensland and Australian selector Des Morris said he did not envisage Inglis, 23, making a switch to the forwards any time soon. "He's a big man, there's no denying that," Morris said. "But he's not the same sort of build as Artie.

"He could play in the forwards, but I don't think it will be necessary because he is one of those freaks of nature who is able to run fast, despite being so big."

Souths have no intention of playing Inglis in the forwards - at least this season.

The Rabbitohs are already top-heavy in the forwards and went after Inglis because he is the No. 1 centre in the game.

Even though they have been forced to shed Beau Champion to make way for Inglis, Souths expect their new buy to form a dynamic centre pairing with one of the club's emerging backline stars, headed by Junior Vaivai and Dylan Farrell.

Souths coach John Lang said prior to Christmas that Inglis had indicated he was happy to also play five-eighth if required.

Inglis has been ruled out of the Indigenous All Stars side to play the NRL All Stars at Skilled Park on February 12 as he recovers from shoulder surgery.

Souths' other new recruit, George Burgess, 18, will arrive in Sydney tomorrow before starting training on January 4.

The Rabbitohs hope to develop young Burgess into an NRL front-rower but he will join the NYC squad this season.

At 194cm and 120kg, George is even bigger than older brother Sam.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-in-the-forwards/story-e6frexnr-1225978109861

DC_fan

Coach
Souths signed Inglis to play centre. But at 120kgs he is too big for that position or any position in the backline. Hence the suggestion by Artie that he could end up in the forwards.

The start of the premiership is just 10 weeks away. A lot of work needs to be done by Inglis and Souths conditioning team to get Inglis to a his best playing weight. Which in my opinion is around 105kgs.

As for him playing five-eight, well he performance at #6 when playing for the star studded Storm team left a lot to be desired. His best position, when fit and at the right weight, is centre.

Souths signing of Inglis was always going to be a boom or bust situation.

rabbitoh vince

Juniors
I'm really getting sick of reading about inglis overweight situation,when you read the remarks made by people on this forum (mostly souths haters) you can laugh at them very easily as it is mostly just jealousy and fear,
Jealous that now souths are an attractive club to go to and genuine fear that some of there favourite players could end up here.
Fear that souths are soon going to become the dominant force again that we were for the first 60 years of rugby league in australia and jealous that there clubs are starting to look very amateur in comparison.
I for one am not the slightest bit worried about inglis weight situation as he is a professional athelete and as soon as he is able to return back to full training it wont take him too long to get back to his best,and all you losers out there who want to keep bagging him thats fine all your doing is giving him greater motivation to prove most of you are idiots that have no idea.
BRING ON 2011

lol

2009-
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/giant-inglis-not-weighed-down/story-e6frfgbo-1225697170608

2010-
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-season-at-110kg/story-e6frepaf-1225829138829

and now 2011....

It happens every year. Just like the yearly Carl Webb fluff piece, the yearly piece tipping Canberra to win the spoon and the yearly article linking Thurston with the Dogs.

Inglis has 3 months to lose 10 - 12 kgs. If you forget about all the training that he will be doing between here and there, a bloke like Inglis could lose 12 kilo's in that time just by joining Jenny Craig. Once his injuries have healed to the point where they can get him running, I'll give him a month to be back at 110kgs.

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
Beetson is a dribbller.

Nothing sadder than some of these legends of the game who just hang around saying " I was [so & so] once.... "

Appin Rabbit

Juniors
What would you know you pie eater you were the most overated footballer that ever got made an immortal.

Fingerbang

Bench
And how many of you bagging the Great Artie actually saw him play? In his prime, not many forwards come close to him. And he didn't say Inglis will be playing in the forwards this year....just that if he doesn't control his weight issues, he could end up in the forwards some time down the track....sheesh!

I bet Artie isn't the only one thinking that, either.

hindyrabbit

Juniors
meninga never played in the forwards and i'm sure he was big enough too. inglis hasn't played for a while and injuries hold him back from training but if he trains hard he can do anything. we now have a quality side that if they stay fit can beat most teams in this comp. get off inglis back

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Coaches will use players where they are most effective ... I doubt Inglis will be a tackling machine backrower any day soon. Could he be a wide-running type second rower ... like Taylor who is derided by some for being more of a centre than most centres? Sure, but then he might as well play centre. Hahaha.

Fingerbang

Bench
we now have a quality side that if they stay fit can beat most teams in this comp. get off inglis back
Can beat most teams.....or you think they can beat most teams? Big difference. You add one fat out of condition Inglis to last year's team, who struggled to beat most teams, and suddenly you have them beating most teams. I guess we will see in a few months.

Robbie 12

Juniors
look greg hasn't done any training at all... he has had two operations, and his still a kid his only 23, when he starts training again he will end up losing 3 to 4 kgs in the first week, for sure, the fitness trainers at souths would have him on fitness program his will lose that weight, if he was older maybe 28 or 30 then yeah the body has to work harder to lose the weight

DC_fan

Coach
meninga never played in the forwards and i'm sure he was big enough too. inglis hasn't played for a while and injuries hold him back from training but if he trains hard he can do anything. we now have a quality side that if they stay fit can beat most teams in this comp. get off inglis back

Meninga in fact did play in the forwards and for Australia

BranVan3000

Coach
Can beat most teams.....or you think they can beat most teams? Big difference. You add one fat out of condition Inglis to last year's team, who struggled to beat most teams, and suddenly you have them beating most teams. I guess we will see in a few months.
Pretty sure the only teams we didn't win a game against last year were the Dragons and Easts?

Bluebag

Juniors
Arthur is one of thebest blokes you could meet and smart football brain as well, he was an outstanding player who had more skills than any forward running around today and a deserved immortal. He didnt say it would happen next year but given he is only 23 blows up to 120kg he will only get bigger, he would be a damaging secondrower but would have to be a project though it wont just happen.
Would you be saying the same things about Arthur if Greg wasnt a Souths player now!

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Pretty sure the only teams we didn't win a game against last year were the Dragons and Easts?

Sorry, dude ...

Titans (by a point in round 2)
Manly (by eight points in round 8 and a point in round 15)
Broncos (caned Bunnies 50-22 in round 14)

That said, it's worth noting that Souths led both the Roosters and Dragons until the dying stages in one of the two games they played against each of them. They showed they were capable ... they just needed more mental toughness and a bit more luck.

So Brisbane is the only team Souths got nowhere near beating in 2010.

Dave Q

Coach
Big Artie is a real gentleman. The real deal. Hes almost red and green.

But I can report that hes not very well at all.

I hope hes around, with or without his opinions, this time next year.

liquor box

Juniors
How is weight relevant?

Why is there a weight limit on a back?

Surely if a player is faster and fitter than his opponent but carries some fat he is still going to be better.

I realise it is difficult to be fit and fast when carrying extra weight but it is possible. I would love to see Inglis at 130kg if he is still as fast and fit (I dont think you can be too big), he would just run over his opposition.