What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Calling

Smiley

Bench
Just got a phone call from someone saying they worked for Microsoft and that my computer is infected and sending them messages. She wouldn't tell me who the windows was registered under and it was quite odd that the first step was to open internet explorer. Told her I don't believe your from Microsoft and hung up. Pretty sure she was just trying to scam me.

Anyone else had this happen??

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
so how does the scam work? Is it remote assistance to try and dig through your temp internet files or cookies or some sh*t?

the1

Juniors
so how does the scam work? Is it remote assistance to try and dig through your temp internet files or cookies or some sh*t?

Basically they get you to install some sort of Remote Assistance app making you think they they have solved a problem for you, but after you hang up the phone is when it gets ugly.

Had the same phone call myself, they wanted me to go to a website (given by them) which was supposed to allow them to remove the so called problem. I asked them how they got my phone number and they quickly hung up so no doubt it was a scam as microsoft do not have anyones personal phone numbers for starters.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
what would happen if you went along with it and claimed to have installed it, but actually not even attempt to do so.

If they tried to hack into your pc, would you be able to get any of their info?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Im gonna pretend to be the feds. Or ill try and keep them on the phone and with my mobile, ill call the cops.

innsaneink

Referee
I used to love playing with telemarketers when I was unemployed.....would let them go thru their 3 minute spiel then reply with "...what?"

Twigg

Juniors
Just got a phone call from someone saying they worked for Microsoft and that my computer is infected and sending them messages. She wouldn't tell me who the windows was registered under and it was quite odd that the first step was to open internet explorer. Told her I don't believe your from Microsoft and hung up. Pretty sure she was just trying to scam me.

Anyone else had this happen??

I just got the phone call lol. They are from Fiji. Definitely a scammer.

Big Mick

Referee
I got a call yesterday as well.

I knew about this and said...wow I had your mate Bill call yesterday and he took my details.

The guy kept pressing...and then I just told him to F-Off.

Ausguy

Coach
Hey all

this scam is back up... just got a call kept him on phone for 5 mins talking to me... then i asked him some questions and he handed me to his supervisor.

I asked him where he was calling from and he told me it was nth sydney, then they said they wanted me to use windows key and R to run something, thats when i said what scam is this, they then said if they dont believe me its my bad luck i said oh really that is helpful they said bye byeeeeeeee and hung up

Ausguy

Coach
yep 2 indians i spoke to as well.... i asked for their number to call them back

i also asked if they were from microsoft they told me no they support their software

i want to strangle the pricks