What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW = no salary cap in 2012

Galeforce

Bench
could this be true? possible only if new NRL leadership discards the current restrictive salary caps , which is possible once new TV rights are closed.

Do we need a SBW?well yes for an All Star team , however not sure we need another backrower in the current team.

Crowe sets his sights on Sonny Bill

Adrian Proszenko

January 16, 2011
EXCLUSIVE
Sonny-Bill-Williams-420x0.jpg
An All Black for now ... Sonny Bill Williams. Photo: Getty Images

RUSSELL CROWE has made an audacious attempt to lure Sonny Bill Williams to South Sydney.
Not content with snaring the prized signatures of superstars Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis, Crowe has spoken to Williams about the possibility of shifting to Redfern after the Rugby World Cup this year.
It's understood that Crowe proposed the move after being introduced to Williams by mutual friend Anthony Mundine.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Crusaders and All Blacks star Williams will become one of the most sought-after stars in either rugby code when he becomes a free agent at the end of the year. There will be no shortage of offers from NRL clubs - Williams was recently spotted dining with Parramatta coach Stephen Kearney, prompting speculation the cashed-up Eels are a contender for his services.
However, Crowe has displayed an uncanny ability to snare his man since taking over as co-owner of the Rabbitohs. Internationals Roy Asotasi, Burgess and Inglis have all joined the club after being wined and dined by the Oscar-winning actor.
Mundine was an influential figure in the Inglis deal and is also close friends with Williams. When Williams controversially walked out on the Bulldogs in 2008, Mundine offered to pay the compensation money demanded by the NRL club.
Mundine has also been helping the dual international prepare for his boxing bout against Scott Lewis on the Gold Coast on January 29.
The salary cap will again be one of the biggest stumbling blocks in Williams's potential return to league. The Inglis deal was initially knocked back by NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert and the Rabbitohs were forced to release local junior Beau Champion before it was ratified.
Williams, 25, could command upwards of $1 million a season following his selection for the All Blacks last year.

The Clan

Juniors
Williams is a predominantly left sided runner meaning he would compliment Burgess who plays down the right. If SBW were to forge a strong partnership with Inglis in the left centre it would spell all sorts of trouble for the opposition. In turn the focus would shift from Burgess somewhat, meaning he would probably get more freedom to do what he does to much greater effect.

Defensively can you imagine running down the left and getting smashed by SBW and then trying out the right and getting destroyed by Sam, ouch!!

Rexxy

Coach
here's an idea. why dont you generate some juniors instead of trying to buy a comp. All arguments aside, Rusty is not doing the Souths name any favours. Just some sad rich dude forking out cash on whoever he sees while other clubs do the best they can within the constraints they have.

StMick

Bench
Surprise, surprise, surprise, another South Sydney headline in the off-season. Well, I guess the off-season is South Sydney season. The real contenders just lay low and get on with the job where the Rabbitohs whore themselves around to the media in the off-season - probably because they know they won't be around at the business end of the season when the big boys come out to play.

PS I'm still looking for a copy of Rusty's epic literary works "the book of feuds" - what a read!

Big Sam

First Grade
here's an idea. why dont you generate some juniors instead of trying to buy a comp. All arguments aside, Rusty is not doing the Souths name any favours. Just some sad rich dude forking out cash on whoever he sees while other clubs do the best they can within the constraints they have.

What, aren't Merritt, Talanoa, Sutton, Pettybourne, MacPherson, and Clark enough juniors for you? What about all our U20s coming through? And Crowe's not done us any favours? We've gone from perennial wooden spooners before his taking over to now being second favourite to win the premiership. You are a moron.

In all seriousness though, this story's BS. No NRL club will come close to matching Toulon's offer for SBW post World Cup.

BranVan3000

Coach
lol how about you get an idea and pay attention? Our U20s team just won the minor premiership and they are coming through to the NRL team now. Just because we have the ability to sign talent doesn't mean we don't foster talent at the same time ;-)

hindyrabbit

Juniors
in this article there is not one quote from anyone to do with souths. it is a rumour the onlycontact souths have had with SBW is crowe meeting him through mundine. parramatta have had more contact as kearney had a feed with him. the big question here is will the NRL allow him to be registered again as they have the right to refuse any contract they wish due he's walking out on the bulldogs

JetRider

Juniors
Surprise, surprise, surprise, another South Sydney headline in the off-season. Well, I guess the off-season is South Sydney season. The real contenders just lay low and get on with the job where the Rabbitohs whore themselves around to the media in the off-season - probably because they know they won't be around at the business end of the season when the big boys come out to play.

PS I'm still looking for a copy of Rusty's epic literary works "the book of feuds" - what a read!

Since when is any RL club responsible for the crap that is printed? just because the press love to use our brand in their article does not mean we are responsible.

The book of feuds should be read and taken for what it is, a marketing concept that draws together some fact and fiction but makes for an entertaing read (especially for the supporters). Don't worry to much at the lack of press about your team the season is only a few weeks away and the press will have plenty of league then.

jackb

Juniors
My team doesn't need too much press. My team does its talking on the field.

What an absolute wanker - win their first title and they think they are special. You are a dropkick mick and certainly no saint - go play with the dapto dogs!

StMick

Bench
Now come on Jackb, your club does bring it on itself. Every off-season's the same, nothing but talk about South Sydney (and let's not kid ourselves, it all stems from the club). As for winning a title and thinking we're special . . . we're very special!

Anyway, I'm only on here for a bit of 'sh*ts-and-giggles" and the amount of flack us Dragons supporters have copped over the years, we've probably earnt the right to throw a bit back.

Just back on SBW, mayby Rusty can get Oprah on the case.

JetRider

Juniors
Now come on Jackb, your club does bring it on itself. Every off-season's the same, nothing but talk about South Sydney (and let's not kid ourselves, it all stems from the club). As for winning a title and thinking we're special . . . we're very special!

Anyway, I'm only on here for a bit of 'sh*ts-and-giggles" and the amount of flack us Dragons supporters have copped over the years, we've probably earnt the right to throw a bit back.

Just back on SBW, mayby Rusty can get Oprah on the case.

StMick, noone is denying your right to have your say but do not assume that Souths in all cases are responsible for the press dribble. Souths are newsworthy which is the marketing power of the club, whilst saints may have achieved well onfield it is a matter of time for Souths to do so and then you will not only be reading about Souths in the off season but you will also be reading about our onfield achievements.

I prefer to comment constructively and you will note that in neither of my posts referring to your quotes have I denigrated you or your team. feel free to comment if you have something of value to add.

StMick

Bench
Look JetRider, I'm only stirring a bit (since we've won the PREMIERSHIP it's become a bit of a love-in over on the Dragons site - you can't even get a good argument started).

But again, directly or indirectly, there is plenty of amunition for opposition supporters to give it to Souths supporters and I, like many other Dragons supporters, haven't forgotten one little smart-arse halfback giving us the choke sign one night at Kogarah (ironic isn't it - the choke sign didn't come from a Broncos, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles etc, etc, etc player but from a club who haven't won a premiership in 40 years and have only made the finals once in 20 years - go figure!). Pretty low act I thought and I thought the Souths club may have addressed the issue. Anyway, I guess we all had the last laugh didn't we.

liquor box

Juniors
The real contenders just lay low and get on with the job where the Rabbitohs whore themselves around to the media in the off-season - probably because they know they won't be around at the business end of the season when the big boys come out to play.

QUOTE]
Its called marketing, being in peoples minds is how you sell memberships

JetRider

Juniors
Look JetRider, I'm only stirring a bit (since we've won the PREMIERSHIP it's become a bit of a love-in over on the Dragons site - you can't even get a good argument started).

But again, directly or indirectly, there is plenty of amunition for opposition supporters to give it to Souths supporters and I, like many other Dragons supporters, haven't forgotten one little smart-arse halfback giving us the choke sign one night at Kogarah (ironic isn't it - the choke sign didn't come from a Broncos, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles etc, etc, etc player but from a club who haven't won a premiership in 40 years and have only made the finals once in 20 years - go figure!). Pretty low act I thought and I thought the Souths club may have addressed the issue. Anyway, I guess we all had the last laugh didn't we.

Fair enough as I did not see that match and if as you say our halfback did as you say then you did have the last laugh. I now look forward to having quite a few last laughs as we have been the target of many worse taunts that most Saint supporters will experience in a life time.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Gibberish troll post. Look at some of our juniors coming through. One bloke scored a hattrick on debut for us. Take a look at our toyota cup team, heaps of players with NRL talent. Next time before you comment on something at least try to know what you're talking about.

As for Sonny Bill, like I said on the main forum. I hate him now but if he chooses to put on the red and green one day then he's a Rabbitoh and I'll cheer for him. The practicalities of actually getting him and fitting him? Well if we get the tv deal we deserve it should translate into a big increase in the cup. Also I've heard rumours of the 3rd party rules being relaxed significantly.

Crowe has a history of getting his man, if he really does want SBW and if the cap space does open up I'm confident we would get him.

Bluebag

Juniors
firstly how do you fit him in, secondly he you will have to pay the Dogs compensation as it is the last year of his contract and so they want money as well.

According to the 2010 guide of the 20's players listed 12 were from Souths Juniors clubs most though were 20 and so ineligible this year. The anomaly with the whole 20's is that if you have a team who are mainly in the lastyear against teams with players for example the Warriors with 8 of there 20 listed are still elligible this year makes a difference.

Dont confuse good 20's with being NRL especially straight away for some it wil be never for others it will be a few years and the few it can be straight away. Did Souths play many of their 20's for Norths at all during the year as well.

cleary89

Coach
What an absolute wanker - win their first title and they think they are special. You are a dropkick mick and certainly no saint - go play with the dapto dogs!

Newtown has been in a grandfinal since the vietnam war, have souths?

Latest posts