What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths tightening their defence

Souths tightening their defence

By Nathan Ryan
20 January 2011 03:05PM EST
Vote on this
SOUTH Sydney skipper Roy Asotasi says the Rabbitohs' main objective this season is to tighten up their defence, after ending last season in ninth place.

• Roy Asotasi says the Rabbitohs are working on tightening up their defence
    Getty Images

“D” being the key word at Rabbitohs training since missing out on a finals berth, Asotasi says that has been the clubs main focus throughout the pre-season.
“It felt at times last year we didn’t work well together too many teams were breaking our line and that’s probably one of the most important aspects of the game,” he told nospam11.com.au.
“As a team we need to work harder and help each other out.”
The Rabbitohs chief missed tacklers last season were Chris Sandow (151), Isaac Luke (97), Sam Burgess (72), Dave Taylor (66) and Ben Lowe (54).
Four of the five players defend in the centre of the field; however three of the five make the list for most tackles made.
The statistics don’t lie - Asotasi believes his side needs to play more as a group opposed to as individuals in order to lower the numbers.
“That’s what Langy (coach John Lang) pointed out that everyone was probably tackling as individuals rather than as a team,” Asotasi explained.
“We had guys shooting out probably not making tackles.
“It’s a good trait of aggression but it obviously hurts the team more if you don’t actually make that tackle.”
Asotasi, who averaged 20.2 tackles a game last season, said the coaching staff has taken the side back to square one, working on fundamentals of defence.
With the club combining game simulation and sand dune work, one aspect the Kiwi says does not need work is the communication.
Asotasi said the key for defending well is talking.
“As professional footballers that should be second nature,” he said.
“We don’t have to work on talk.
“Whether you’re in the middle or out wide you need to relay messages - it’s pretty much like a phone line right across the team, everyone’s connected.
“If there’s somebody who’s not talking there’s a bit of a disconnection there and can really affect the way you defend and attack.”
The main problem for the Bunnies is the players, including Burgess and new buy Greg Inglis, who remain in the rehab ward unable to participate in the game simulations.
“It’s just part of the game, you can’t really tell Johnny Lang to jump in and make up the numbers,” Asotasi laughed.

http://www.nospam11.com.au/articles/2011/01/20/souths-tightening-their-defence/

JetRider

Juniors
Well no surprises there but good to hear the work they are doing. I will be keen to see if the effort translates to games.

Ttime

Juniors
Yep. Defence makes me excited. We now have the guys to score tries and make busts up the middle. Bring on 2011. YEOW!

Honkiest_Honky

Juniors
When the club made the finals in 2007 we had awesome defence only conceding on avg 3 tries per game, but we had the worse attack only avg 2.9 tries per game. I guess JT was told to fix the defence. There was some pride in the defensive line that year. I noticed a few players last year going for the big hit rather than wrapping the player up. Hopefully it will be sorted before round 1.

BunniesMan

Immortal
This is really good to hear. Last year it felt like defence was the missing piece we needed to be successful. We still had a fantastic attack even with many significant injuries to key players, it should be even better this year with less injuries and the addition of Inglis. If we do improve our defence we should do great.

BranVan3000

Coach
When the club made the finals in 2007 we had awesome defence only conceding on avg 3 tries per game, but we had the worse attack only avg 2.9 tries per game. I guess JT was told to fix the defence. There was some pride in the defensive line that year. I noticed a few players last year going for the big hit rather than wrapping the player up. Hopefully it will be sorted before round 1.

Our defence was so impressive though, I remember some truly inspirational saves. These days I'm nervous when any team is within our 20, back in 2007 it didn't phase me at all, I knew our boys could handle it

Our defence was so impressive though, I remember some truly inspirational saves. These days I'm nervous when any team is within our 20, back in 2007 it didn't phase me at all, I knew our boys could handle it

Yep our goal line defence last season was woeful.Eddy Pettybourne was one of the prime offenders.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Tightening your defence? With Sandow off to the NSW cup who's going to be your 7?

He clearly needs more cover.

That said, he is a tough bugger, and without mocking him, he played 24 games last year and 23 games in 2009.

Compare that to an overated crock like Mullen who has played 22 games over the past two years.

No point being overated if you are not even able to make it on the park.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
If Sandow cut out the stupid "big hit" attempts, his missed tackle stat would immediately improve and by a big margin.

I think I've read four or five stories, with quotes, how he's going to cut it out of his game, but then he's immediately at it again.

Little things like that increase the pressure on everybody else.

Souths needs to play, and especially defend, more as a team. Hopefully Sandow will benefit from a bit more maturity this year and the whole team gels more effectively as a unit.

NGR

Juniors
Tightening your defence? With Sandow off to the NSW cup who's going to be your 7?

He doesnt cause that many line breaks, he misses tackles but stops the player making a clean break. So his defence for a bloke as small as him is pretty good considering he didnt have someone watching his back like soward...

themacemaceman

Juniors
I cant remember the opposition making too any huge breaks as the result of sandow charging out of the line and attempting one of his big hits, but I would prefer if they sit him down and show him some Michael Speechly footage this summer

BunniesMan

Immortal
Considering defence is being made a priority this offseason, we'll be devoting a lot of training to it, I'm sure a part of that training will be teaching Sandow how to be effective in defence.