What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

Bretttheref

Juniors
Ive only joined this forum to show my disgust at the comments from Stumpyone and Brett the Ref.

I keep an eye on this forum because I want the youngsters at Penrith to do well. I take huge offence when 14 and 15 year old boys are referred to in a derogatory way, as part of what seems to be an agenda by stumpy and brett if indeed they are different people.

I agree with the previous comments made against Stumpy one. For someone to be at training and look for faults to paste on an internet forum in the hope that this might influence a selection panel or coaches is about as low as it gets in my opinion. and also, about as stupid as it gets. From what I know, it is more likely to alienate the coaches and selectors and this can only impact negatively on your son or whoever's nest it is you are trying to feather.

Stumpy and Brett, please remember you are talking about YOUNG BOYS. Comments you make could really do damage to a kids confidence and take his mind off what is important at his age....developing as a good ryoung rugby league player and learning from mistakes. With kids, if it aint constructuve, dont put it on.

I must have missed something, with all due repect, again I must state I have no relative in this squad. Derogative terms? Read it again. As a coach which I am, I would be remiss if I did not correct players faults. I did not name any player, I stated fact. Yes, praise is good for confidence when it is deserved. It also is good to let them know they need to improve. Players know when they are not doing well. I would expect a player to go and work his backside off to improve. The ball is in the players hands no one else can do it for them.

This forum is a feedback to all those interested in how squads are going and who and what to watch for. If selectors or officials made decisions based on comments on this forum, they are not doing the job correctly. I would be surprised if coaches or selectors took any serious notice.

fathertime

Juniors
Watched the Matts train the other day. Drama around the ruck. The halves and hooker used in the "A" team were a worry, terrible passess slow service, lot of dropped ball.

The above is hardly a constructive comment about young blokes who are going through puberty. They are not NRL players. they are YOUNG KIDS and should not be subjected to this kind of scrutiny on a very public forum

You used the word "Drama" what, was someone killed????

fathertime

Juniors
What are you on about. I dont have a son in the team. If 5 dropped balls by the 5/8 on the same move, because of rushed pasess by the half because of terrible passes by the dummy half is not good u are on drugs. Als the coach tried 3 different dummy halves in short progression seems he is stuggling for combination. Seems u have an agenda against a player. What is your problem.

Have you asked the coach if he is struggling for combinations? As I know you only deal in fact, it's just that the quote "seems he is struggling for combination" seems like speculation to me!!!

murraymob

Coach
Anyone attending the trials please post your summary of game and players who impressed.But leave out any bagging of kids who did not impress

half_back

Juniors
Daz who won the trials? And who were the standouts?

The matts was a close affair with the dogs getting up by a try. That being said penrith conceded 3 tries late when it seemed their weekest combination was on the field. Added to that was the fact the coach rested about 10 of his best players. From what I heard dogs only rested one. This team definitely looks the goods and should be in for a strong year. as mentioned previously Lodge was very strong.

The ball was a different story. It is always hard to tell with essentially a different team running out each third. But the dogs won easily. Especially in the second third where our defence was paper thin. Good to see Jakiel out there and playing strong. I'll reserve my judgement of the ball team until the next 2 trials as each team will be down to it's top 24 after tomorrow. Hopefully with just their best players they will be competitive.

cmtf

Juniors
harold matts trial was a close one. the last third was a mix of players i think are on the border line of selection. i think the bulldogs were not as fit as the panther boys & with 10 or so players sitting out penrith will give it a good shake this year.

fathertime

Juniors
harold matts trial was a close one. the last third was a mix of players i think are on the border line of selection. i think the bulldogs were not as fit as the panther boys & with 10 or so players sitting out penrith will give it a good shake this year.

Matts did look good considering so many players rested. One of the staff said it was 11 of the top 13 rested.. No comp was ever won in January though and Parra looked very ominous this time last year before falling atthe final hurdle. I hope Penrith arent peaking too soon but they did look fit and sharp and moved the ball pretty well

Dont worry about the Ball. Brett Atkins won a premiership at Matts level last year and is very well respected atthe club by players and officials. They will know what they are doing. His team looked average in the Matts trial last year against the Dogs at the same time of the pre season and went on to win it. Have faith!

sweet-as

Juniors
Harold matts were very impressive, sharp, fit and despite resting their top players still looked strong.
SG Ball was very dissappointing. We looked very slow, Our forwards were dominated around the ruck and our backs other then Tony Satini looked fairly ordinary. I have also heard that Bulldogs were resting 10+ players including klemmer and minute.
Who do we have round one?

Art Vandalay

Juniors
i believe we have manly round 1 sweet-as, any reports on how halves combinations went, i heard coach Addison rested his two main halves including Glanville ?

fathertime

Juniors
i believe we have manly round 1 sweet-as, any reports on how halves combinations went, i heard coach Addison rested his two main halves including Glanville ?

The players that I know were rested were glanville, "A" team 5/8 redmond(A team half) josh grant lachlan jackson, jordan muna im not too sure of the others

they were not exactly rested though, i saw them getting smashed by the trainers on the fields behind the sheds while the rest of the team were warmingup for the game!!!

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I had to go early and missed most of the Ball game. How did Mitch Manson go? Is he a chance of making tomorrows cut?

sweet-as

Juniors
The players that I know were rested were glanville, "A" team 5/8 redmond(A team half) josh grant lachlan jackson, jordan muna im not too sure of the others

they were not exactly rested though, i saw them getting smashed by the trainers on the fields behind the sheds while the rest of the team were warmingup for the game!!!

Seriously do not understand why coaches "rest" 15 year olds?
they are not NRL superstars, they do not need a "rest".
Surely with the competition approaching so quickly the coaches would want their top players to get as much match fitness as possible???

half_back

Juniors
Seriously do not understand why coaches "rest" 15 year olds?
they are not NRL superstars, they do not need a "rest".
Surely with the competition approaching so quickly the coaches would want their top players to get as much match fitness as possible???

As already mentioned they weren't exactly "rested". They were flogged by the trainers in their own training session to keep up fitness levels while giving maximum opportunity to see how the other boys would go. Don't forget the squad has to be trimmed back today to it's actual team and with only 1 trial to see how all the "non-certanties" would go the coach obviously wanted to give them as much game time as possible to impress. Not much good playing your key players that you know will be in the team when you have to cull so many.

Last edited: