What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strongest 2011 team

boo_boo

Juniors
I still believe there are question marks over the positions 1,5,6,7,13 & we really need to settle those if we are to have a good year.

liquor box

Juniors
I would select a serious team but wont as I will be attacked for not selecting favourite players of many posters here or for selecting them out of position.

I would look at selecting a few of our U20 team from last year

Honkiest_Honky

Juniors
1. Wesser - atm best option under the high ball otherwise days are numbered as a NRL player.
2. Merritt - Overatted, kidding he goes ok just wish he was more involved and less lazy.
3. Farrell - Showed some good things last year but like all rookies needs to learn a lot.
4. Inglis - Our Saviour? He needs to look good or there will be a lot of disapointed bunny fans.
5. Tabouli - For a reasonably big winger he plays like he's much smaller.
6. Sutton - Sometimes he plays well other times plays sh*t. Appears lazy.
7. Sandow - Needs to be more consistant as well, improved later part of last season. Diabolical in defence.
8 Stuart - Keeps on keeping on, the years are catching up on this road warrior.
9 Luke - Awesome in attack but much less awesome in defence.
10 Asotasi - Former wolrds best prop former NZ international and some say should be former Souths captain. How can something so good turn so bad?
11 Burgess - Awesome player made the team of the year, needs to defend better not go for the big hit all the time.
12 Taylor - Less awesome than Burges but still pretty awesome, has same defensive problems as Burgess.
13 Lowe plays well when others are firing needs to stamp his authority more, good worker.

14 Geddes - This guy is NRL standard but sadly too injury prone.
15 Crocker - IF he's fit he goes good but thats a big IF.
16 Tyrell - I reckon for someone with limited talent he's ok.
17 Ross - Not sure if he will make the field or how long his neck will last.
18 Mcpherson - Awesome trainer but ordinary footballer.
19 Clarke - Unremarkable in everyway.
20 Vai Vai - Never seen him play could be a myth.
21 Reynolds - As above.

Until we see how trial form is like it has to be the default team with Farrell replacing Champion and Inglis replacing best. Clark on the bench with Geddes, Ross and Michael Crocker.

Galeforce

Bench
By year end looking to at least two of the young players to step and place pressure on Wesser , either directly for fullback or centre ( by pushing Inglis into fullback).

Fullback -- either Mcqueen/Roberts/mansour /vai vai

I do assume Dylan Farrel to claim one centre spot.

Pivot -- Mundine needs to place pressure on Sutton

Forwards --
Ross will pressure Stuarts position
Eddy P will be there

If starters are Stuart, luke , Asotasi , taylor , Burgess, Lowe
first bench choices Eddy , crocker, clarke , ross , geddes ( who misses?)
backup bench - tyrell , mcpherson , peats , Falloon , reynolds

If we have no major early season expect Crocker and Falloon ( or peats) to be traded by end of June. Stuart will have to prove he is an iron man to hold his spot.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
1. Wesser - If Champion had stayed, I'd have no hesitation to move Merritt to the back and cut Wesser, but now I worry that Souths need more experience - and more importantly a talker - in the backline. I think Wesser is more likely to be the required talker/leader than the likes of Merritt, Inglis and Talanoa, who all strike me as being very quiet.

2. Merritt - He needs to search out the ball a bit more often, like he was doing at the end of 2010 when Sutton was injured. He really is probably the club's best fullback option (maybe Inglis), but he also seems to be wary of responsibility and pressure. That last part is more of a feeling on my part - he looked really uncomfortable when he used to kick for goals.

3. Inglis - He typically plays on the left and would make a nice combination with Merritt. But, with the loss of Champion, it'll also make the right side look a touch vulnerable. In the end, I think the Bunnies need to play to their strengths, though, and if the centre/wing pairing on the other side can't hold their own defensively, then they should make way for someone who can do the job.

4. Vaivai - I haven't gotten to see enough of him, but apparently he's very highly regarded. It was hard not to be impressed with Farrell last year. Vaivai is more nuggety at 5ft 10in, compared to Farrell's 6ft 2in, and both weigh in around 100kg. If one was to end up on the wing, you'd think it'd be the taller (and I think faster) Farrell. EDIT - As per my Inglis explanation, if the right side is defensively vulnerable, then I see no harm in repurposing Lowe as a centre and bringing in another forward (where the Bunnies are strongest).

5. Talanoa/Farrell - Fetuli has just about exhasuted my patience with him. He's good at carting it out of the Bunnies' 20m zone and he knows how to get over the line in close range, but his hands and defensive lapses give fans the jitters. Meanwhile, Farrell really does look the goods. Talanoa needs a good 2011 to save his first grade career, for mine.

6. Sutton - Yes, he can be patchy. But he's due a good year (about every second season) and 2011 coudl be a blinder. I think Sandow improved a bit in Sutton's absence towards the end of 2010 and that will hopefully take some pressure off John. If Sandow has matured a little and doesn't backslide in his form, then I think they will be a lot more effective - can consistent - than they have in recent years.

7. Sandow - I think the kid gets more knocks than he deserves. He needs to grow up a little and play more for the team and less as an individual. He also needs to cut out those stupid defensive charges - they are mostly responsible for his dismal missed tackles stats. I honestly think 2011 will be his best season so far.

8. Stuart - Ironman.

9. Luke - Any lengthy injuries and the Bunnies are shot. He is the Rabbitohs.

10. Asotasi - I saw glimpses at the end of 2010. I think he has maybe shaken the injuries that have plagued him over the past two seasons. He NEEDS a good season to reestablish his career. He's only 29, so still has some good years as a frontrower, but his earning capacity will take a hit if he doesn't assert himself on the field. Hopefully his NZ snub will fill his belly with fire.

11. Burgess - Along with Luke, Sam brings passion and competitiveness to the Bunnies. He will lead the way and drag others along with him. Along with Isaac, he carries the hopes of the team and hopefully can stay injury free.

12. Taylor - A bit like Sandow, Big Dave needs to play a bit less selfishly ... but he adds an extra attacking dimension to the team. With Inglis in the team, the Bunnies will present attacking threats on multiple fronts, and guys like Taylor (and Sutton and Sandow) might benefit from slightly less opposition attention. Like the Storm, shutting down one Bunny won't be good enough in 2011.

13. Lowe - Ben made this position his own in 2010. If he tackles his bum off, then no one will unseat him.

14. Clark - Hopefully the young man will be better for his 2010 experience. While I'm sure there are better options, there needs to be some kind of coverage for a potential injury to Luke. Falloon would be a better hooker, but Clark is the better backrower ... and ideally you won't have to replace Luke.

15. Pettybourne - A great runner, but I'd like to see some improved defence from him (and most of the whole team, really).

16. Crocker/Ross - I wary to just say Ross until he actually gets some game time ... but to be fair, Crocker hasn't played many games during Ross' time away either. I see a lot of squandered resources in Mick, so he needs to really step up or be remembered in the same vein as Heggarty.

17. Geddes - Prior to injury 2010 was probably his best season ever. I hope he kicks on.

18. McPherson - He's a toiler, but he gets the job done. He used to drive me crazy, but in 2010 he cut out a lot of his errors.

Last edited:

Rabbit toes

First Grade
I'm looking forward to the start of the season, but my gut says we still wont be fielding our strongest possible side
What I think we'll begin with

1. Wesser
2. Merritt
3. Farrell
4. Inglis
5. Talanoa
6. Sutton
7. Sandow
8. Stuart
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Burgess
12. Taylor
13. Lowe

14. Crocker
15. Geddes
16. Mcpherson
17. Ross

What I would like to see

1. Webster
2. Merritt
3. Farrell
4. Inglis
5. Vai Vai
6. Sutton
7. Reynolds
8. Stuart
9. Luke
10. Asotasi
11. Burgess
12. Taylor
13. Lowe

14. Crocker
15. Ross
16. Pettybourne
17. Falloon

As the year goes on Obviously the side and the bench will change (origin etc) so G, Burgess, Tyrell, Corrigan etc would rotate thru the squad and press for a start.

African Monkey

First Grade
I don't know why people want to get rid of Talanoa. He's very good at getting us out of our half and is also a proven finisher. Yes he can get found wanting in defence at times, but it's not as if he gets caught out of position on a regular basis.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
For me, I think Talanoa is about as good as he's going to get, whereas someone like Farrell could be anything. Shrug.

BranVan3000

Coach
For me, I think Talanoa is about as good as he's going to get, whereas someone like Farrell could be anything. Shrug.

Lets see if he grows outside of the worlds best centre before assuming that

He had some horrible games in 2010, but then he'd be on fire the next week. If he played like he did when he was on fire consistently then he would be our best player

Alas he doesn't

cleary89

Coach
1. Zydrunas Savickas
2. Brian Shaw
3. Terry Hollands
4. Travis Ortmayer
5. Hennie Jordan
6. Derek Poundstone
7. Stefan Solvi Petursson
8. Johannes Arsjo
9. Robert Szczepanski
10. Laurence Shahlaei
11. Dave Ostlund
12. Misca Koklyaev
13. Louis-Philippe Jean
14. Mark Felix
15. Sergey Romanchuk
16. Mark Westaby
17. Darren Sadler

Would easily be the strongest team.

1. Zydrunas Savickas
2. Brian Shaw
3. Terry Hollands
4. Travis Ortmayer
5. Hennie Jordan
6. Derek Poundstone
7. Stefan Solvi Petursson
8. Johannes Arsjo
9. Robert Szczepanski
10. Laurence Shahlaei
11. Dave Ostlund
12. Misca Koklyaev
13. Louis-Philippe Jean
14. Mark Felix
15. Sergey Romanchuk
16. Mark Westaby
17. Darren Sadler

Would easily be the strongest team.

You left the coach out,idiot.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Souths bench and Depth looks pretty iffy IMO

Also I don't care what anyone says, burgess is a better prop then back rower

boo_boo

Juniors
I think Sam has more impact playing back-row but i'd love to see Keith Galloway in a Souths jersey.
Should have signed him before he signed with West's & i think we nearly did.
I dont know how anyone could dismiss Keith as a genuine front rower.

Latest posts