What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra reach out anew to Tahu

lucablight

First Grade
TIMANA TAHU could make a shock return for Parramatta this season. The Sun-Herald can reveal that Eels officials have spoken about the possibility of offering a lifeline to the NSW and Australian centre.

Tahu's tenure at the club appeared over when he requested additional time off over the pre-season. The 30-year-old was affected by two racial vilification controversies and wasn't ready to rejoin his teammates. The Eels have been sympathetic in their dealings with Tahu but it was thought the parties amicably parted company in December.
Advertisement: Story continues below

However, Eels officials contacted Tahu's management during the week to gauge whether the dual international would consider a return. The club has recruited outside backs Chris Walker, Paul Whatuira, Chris Hicks and Jordan Atkins. And while young Jacob Loko is viewed as a potential first-grader this year, there are still concerns about the depth in the backline following the retirement of Eric Grothe and the absence of Tahu.

It is understood that Tahu could be given a second chance if he proves that he is physically and mentally ready to rejoin the Eels. However, it's a sensitive situation for club officials. They would like to see a popular member of the club return and fulfil his potential.

Incoming coach Stephen Kearney is determined to instil discipline - and the players have been put through their most gruelling pre-season in years - so officials want him to be totally committed if he returns to the fold.

The former Waratah and Wallaby is considering the opportunity.

''It would be good to see him play again; it would be a shame if his career ended this way,'' a source close to Tahu said.

It has been a turbulent year for Tahu. He gave up his treasured Blues jersey over comments from former Knights teammate Andrew Johns in a brave stance against racism. Tahu then had to contend with allegations of racism levelled against him - which he vehemently denied - during an Aboriginal knockout tournament.

He then missed out on All Stars selection as his rugby league career appeared over.

At his best, Tahu is one of the most damaging centres in the game. His strike rate of 107 tries from 160 NRL appearances for Newcastle and Parramatta remains one of the best in the competition. And while the Eels have plenty of money - more than $500,000 under the salary cap - there are few remaining three-quarter options on the market so close to season kick-off. When relations with Parramatta seemingly broke down, Tahu was linked with his former club. However, the Knights have no intention of pursuing him.

The situation leaves Tahu at the crossroads and he is yet to comment publicly on whether he intends to play again.

Given he has now had the time off he initially requested, the possibility of rejoining the Eels remains.
source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/parra-reach-out-anew-to-tahu-20110205-1ahkl.html

Thoughts?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
We all suspected this was going to happen. So long as he leaves his baggage at home. I like the man but if he isn't focused on football, please, do what's best for the team and stay away.

If he's focused, welcome back. At a smaller contract.

eels_fan

First Grade
You'd rather an unfit and mental wreck on $400k over a solid, experienced campaigner on $100k incentive deal??

Geez I know Walker has made some mistakes, but he's done more good for Parra by way of morale and teamwork in one off season as Tahu did in all of 2010

Eels Dude

Coach
You'd rather an unfit and mental wreck on $400k over a solid, experienced campaigner on $100k incentive deal??

Geez I know Walker has made some mistakes, but he's done more good for Parra by way of morale and teamwork in one off season as Tahu did in all of 2010

if Tahu wants to play, he won't be on anywhere near 400k. If he's sorted his off field issues out then he's a much better option than Walker. Not that I agree he should come back, I have extreme doubts. Also have doubts over Walker like Webb and such. Just because the media reports a player is killing it at training doesn't mean it's true, and even if it does, it doesn't always lead to on field success.

I doubt it would happen - if he came back, he should only be on a small contract. If he really wants to play, he should prove himself before rewarding him.

Personally I would rather we keep the money to sign someone else.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
interresting........................

I'm sure SK will only have him back if he is fully committed

dazeely

First Grade

Totally agree.

Tahu and his associates have a History of saying one thing and doing something completely different. Just to put people off the scent of what they are really doing.

Don't believe this crap. It's not true

hineyrulz

Post Whore
No from me, i was wrapped last year when i heard he was coming back. But he has been nothing but trouble since his return, Not all of it has been his fault but he is more trouble than he is worth. And how would his team mates feel while they were flogging there guts out he was resting with his feet up???? I'd be pissed off.

Gordy

Juniors

x3

He will only come back if there is some money. If he is keen, start on match payments so we can sign someone with our spare cap money.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
A team with a mix of skilled, tough, mature players out to prove a point could land them a grand final. Tahu in the mix is not a bad thing. Get all their heads switched on to a group bond with a common resolve and they end up with a mental edge just that bit better than their opponents. Throw in a superstar and a mix of workers disciplined to an 80 minute game plan, all playing for each other and a coach they respect and will do anything he wants, bingo.... a bullet rising fast up the charts to the top of the ladder is unrestricted.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Tahu and his associates have a History of saying one thing and doing something completely different. Just to put people off the scent of what they are really doing.

Don't believe this crap. It's not true

This is true. He has told some bullsh*t in the past. He isn't a trustworthy type of bloke.

I think it would be a cop out by the club if he ends up playing this season.

It is all very well to talk tough two months ago, and say if you take leave, you are not showing the commitment we require, and that all other players have been prepared to show.

It would be insulting to the rest of the team if they reneg on that ultimatum.

At least Grothe was 100% up front about not having the commitment and motivation for Kearneys new pre-season regime.

Suitman

Post Whore
I think it would be a cop out by the club if he ends up playing this season.

It is all very well to talk tough two months ago, and say if you take leave, you are not showing the commitment we require, and that all other players have been prepared to show.

It would be insulting to the rest of the team if they reneg on that ultimatum.

At least Grothe was 100% up front about not having the commitment and motivation for Kearneys new pre-season regime.

You're assuming that the players wouldn't want him back.
I'm not so sure.

Suity

Latest posts