What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clubs, Fans Crying Out For Set Schedule, Says Richo

http://www.rabbitohs.com/showthread.php?12663-Clubs-Fans-Crying-Out-For-Set-Schedule-Says-Richo

Daniel Lane
February 6, 2011

th_Shane%20Richardson-140x93.jpg

South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson believes it is crucial in the coming television rights negotiations that rugby league seizes control of match scheduling, saying the current practice in which Channel Nine picks who plays when during the season has an adverse effect on promoting the game.

Richardson said one clear message he has received from Rabbitohs members is they want a draw at the start of the season. He added not only did the current system make it hard for clubs to sell tickets, corporate boxes and even plan match-day promotions, there was also a sense of professional embarrassment by not being able to tell sponsors when his team would be playing.

''The most requested thing we get from members is that they want to have a season draw at the start of the year,'' Richardson said. ''You want to tell people at the beginning of the year when you're going to play matches so they can organise their holidays, weddings or weekends around games.

''Corporates also find it very hard to commit to taking a [hospitality] box when they don't know whether the team is playing on the Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. They want to know when Souths play St George Illawarra later in the season and all you can do is look at them and say, 'I don't know'. It is very difficult, and I can't think of any other sport in the world, English Premier League, NFL or the NBA, where the television tells teams when they're going to play. The Waratahs have a season draw.''

Richardson said the AFL draw gave that code a major advantage over rugby league. ''It is the one thing the AFL have over us. They concentrate on building crowds and building an atmosphere, they don't concentrate on positioning television cameras.

''We have to give clubs an opportunity to promote their games. If we knew we had a Monday night game, we can organise a promotion around it, we can work with the RTA and those who run public transport to ensure people have an opportunity to get to the game.

''They talk about Monday night football in America, but people know all year when their team will play. We wait with baited breath here to find out when we are scheduled one, the Americans turn it into an event … we don't get that opportunity.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r-set-schedule-says-richo-20110205-1ahkw.html

Souffs speaking on behalf of the league again, thanks but no thanks it's not that big of a deal the draw has been made and you know what weekend the game will be on and with 5 weeks notice it isn't that hard to make plans.

ABSOLUTELY!!

I could make at least 3 extra games if I could plan ahead!!!

You need more than 5 weeks to plan to go to a game, where are you coming from the moon?

Quigs

Immortal
I booked my flight tickets for the wife and I last October to fly down from Rockhampton to Sydney in March to watch 'my' sharkies play Stain George at Shark Park.

I am not the richest man in the world by a long long shot and Virgin had a deal going.

I covered Friday through to Sunday and was flying home Monday Morning. I thought no way in the world would the League be stupid enough to allow the big local derby to be played on a Monday night.

Its the Sharks biggest home crowd drawing game and is always a spirited clash.

Yeah guess what .... Its scheduled for Monday Night .... why? Dont ask me, I'm just an idiot.

But bottom line is that it ended up costing me an extra $200.00 to get the cheap flight seats rebooked to cover the Monday.

Its time that the league realised that not all the clubs supporters live and breath in Sydney and Brisbane.

A season draw would allow me to travel to two or three more games a year.

And yes a lot of people do need more then five weeks notice to organise trips.

Honkiest_Honky

Juniors
Richardson makes some valid points but the system we have is better. Fans get to see the best games on friday night more often. The ability to have the power to cherry pick the best games for broadcast must significantly increase the value of the broadcast rights.

coombsy

Juniors
Souffs speaking on behalf of the league again, thanks but no thanks it's not that big of a deal the draw has been made and you know what weekend the game will be on and with 5 weeks notice it isn't that hard to make plans.

You need more than 5 weeks to plan to go to a game, where are you coming from the moon?

What about people that live in the country who have to organise people to take care of things while they are away, milking of cattle etc. It must be wonderful to be so ignorant you fool. Typical comment from someone who must be only thinking of his own circumstances. Stuff the country people who put bread and milk and practically everything else on your table.

Galeforce

Bench

You need more than 5 weeks to plan to go to a g ame, where are you coming from the moon?

pee off Troll , you are not adding any value , when your first word has no meaning .learn to spell dope.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
pee off Troll , you are not adding any value , when your first word has no meaning .learn to spell dope.

Why do you even bother?

Our board is not moderated, the main board is full of Souths bashing threads, we have a moron posting crap in every thread followed by the same morons putting sh*t on him and the club.

I am that close to deleting this account, and I know some of the other boys are too, because this site has turned to sh*t.

Big Sam

First Grade
Leaving aside the issue of sponsors and supporters, a complete draw done at the beginning of the season would keep the 5-day turnarounds (Monday>Saturday, Sunday>Friday) some teams have to a minimum. Btw Richo's wrong on the Premier League scheduling, in fact all European leagues finalise a round's scheduling only 2 weeks in advance.

What about people that live in the country who have to organise people to take care of things while they are away, milking of cattle etc. It must be wonderful to be so ignorant you fool. Typical comment from someone who must be only thinking of his own circumstances. Stuff the country people who put bread and milk and practically everything else on your table.

To be honest it's a small price pay. I've never, ever said stuff the country so don't put words in my mouth but at the end of the day scheduling every match at the start of the year with fixed dates is silly and the 5 weeks notice ensures we try to get better games on free to air which results in more viewers at home that's just how it is.

Leaving aside the issue of sponsors and supporters, a complete draw done at the beginning of the season would keep the 5-day turnarounds (Monday>Saturday, Sunday>Friday) some teams have to a minimum. Btw Richo's wrong on the Premier League scheduling, in fact all European leagues finalise a round's scheduling only 2 weeks in advance.

No, he is right it is a fixed schedule for the major European leagues but in England there are that many cups and European competitions to contest they end up having to change the schedule around on the fly so nothing clashes and teams get adequate rest/preparation.

Galeforce

Bench
Why do you even bother?

Our board is not moderated, the main board is full of Souths bashing threads, we have a moron posting crap in every thread followed by the same morons putting sh*t on him and the club.

I am that close to deleting this account, and I know some of the other boys are too, because this site has turned to sh*t.

you are correct . however some relief, like rubbing a rash.

MattJ

Juniors
Why do you even bother?

Your dead right Ziggy, theres one or two complete wankers who i assume are masquerading as souths fans continually posting crap daily in the main forums. You can't open a thread without it just turning into 4 or 5 pages of souths bashing.
Its really turned this whole forum to sh*t, same pricks repeating same lame insults day after day.
Im hoping once the footy starts things might get a bit better, but im pretty over this place at the moment.

liquor box

Juniors
Richardson makes some valid points but the system we have is better. Fans get to see the best games on friday night more often. The ability to have the power to cherry pick the best games for broadcast must significantly increase the value of the broadcast rights.
wouldn't it even out? Ch9 would pay a little less as they would not have all of the good games and FOX would pay a little more as they would now get better games?

I would like the draw for the season realeased together

rabbitohs

Juniors

Almost....Adelaide and yes, booking flights, work time, someone to watch the kids and trying to make a weekend of it so the missus is happy doing something as well takes some planning. I also like to time a game to go with a Port Adelaide game. Each game costs me at least $500 so early flights etc makes a difference as well...any more questions???