What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 NSWRL Junior Reps - Harold Matts and SG Ball

Tucantango

Juniors
Penrith played Bulldogs on Saturday, Penrith Matts look very good this early in the season. They rested 10 players against a full strength Dogs team and only lost by one try after conceding 3 late with their fringe players on the field.

The ball on the other hand showed that the Dogs will be tough to beat this year. Completely outplayed the Penrith squad.

With the greatest respect 'Half_Back' I would would have to strongly disagree with your assessment of the HM game. I too was there and it seemed to be the opposite to what you are saying.

You are correct when you say that the HM Doggies had there full outfit of 32 players there, however they were not putting the best team on the field together at anyone time. When they put half of what could be their best team on the field they romped away with it. No sooner did this occur and and changes en masse were implemented.

In fact it was Penrith who scored 2-3 late tries in the last quarter after the above changes were made!

half_back

Juniors
With the greatest respect 'Half_Back' I would would have to strongly disagree with your assessment of the HM game. I too was there and it seemed to be the opposite to what you are saying.

You are correct when you say that the HM Doggies had there full outfit of 32 players there, however they were not putting the best team on the field together at anyone time. When they put half of what could be their best team on the field they romped away with it. No sooner did this occur and and changes en masse were implemented.

In fact it was Penrith who scored 2-3 late tries in the last quarter after the above changes were made!

I'm interested in when you thought they had their best team on. Their best pack was out first. Also the majority of their best backline, only exception was probably the halves. In that third it was 1-0 to the dogs again regardless of which team they sent out at any point Penrith were without their top 10 players so Dogs should have dominated all match. They didn't. Dogs appeared slow and cumbersome and struggled ( yes it was hot) far more than penrith who appeared quite mobile. Dogs will still feature near the top of the comp due to the lack of depth in HM overall but on this performance won't challenge penrith and probably parra.

Tucantango

Juniors
I'm interested in when you thought they had their best team on. Their best pack was out first. Also the majority of their best backline, only exception was probably the halves. In that third it was 1-0 to the dogs again regardless of which team they sent out at any point Penrith were without their top 10 players so Dogs should have dominated all match. They didn't. Dogs appeared slow and cumbersome and struggled ( yes it was hot) far more than penrith who appeared quite mobile. Dogs will still feature near the top of the comp due to the lack of depth in HM overall but on this performance won't challenge penrith and probably parra.

Half_Back their best pack was definately not out first! As stated in my initial post, 'the Bulldogs best players were always mixed with fringe players during each quarter'. You might remember two rampaging front rowers and second rower playing in the second quarter (and part of the third quarter) before they were all pulled off!

With respect to your comment about the majority of the best back-line being on in the first-quarter you couldn't be more wrong here as well! From my understanding there were halves (which you rightly noted), however there were also a winger and centre missing too! You might recall these two from the second quarter (and part of the third quarter) where the centre bagged 4 tries and the winger set up one and played a hand in another.

It is also my understanding that the coach of the Bulldogs HM side used his best players sparingly as this trial was more about finalising the squad to 25 (i.e. cutting more fringe players). In deciding which one of us is the more correct I suggest we defer until the two sides meet on the 5th March. Bragging right to the winner! Until then take care!

Tuc.

Manlys Harolds Matts and S.G.Ball squads are full of Central Coast juniors, the Matts had a good win over Newcastle last weekend by 2 to 3 tries.
The Central Coast Centurians Matts went down 6 tries to 4 against the Newcastle Chargers (their development U15's side).
The Central Coast Centurians play the North Sydney Bears this Saturday at T.G.Milner Oval.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Penrith squads announced:

http://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/de...eams-announced

2011 Harold Matthews Team
1. Albert Boney - Blacktown City
2. Bradley Burns - St Marys
3. Tom Cettolin - Brothers
4. Oliver Clark - Quakers Hill
5. Naya Freeman
6. Jaye Fuimaono - St Marys
7. Logan Geyer - Brothers
8. Aiden Glanville - St Marys
9. Joshua Grant - Brothers
10. Robert Jennings - Minchinbury
11. Lachlan Jackson - St Marys
12. Joshua Jaye - St Clair
13. Dwayne Lemafa - St Clair
14. Matthew Lodge - St Patricks
15. Matthew Lupi - St Clair
16. Jordan Muna - St Marys
17. Julian Pecora - Quakers Hill
18. Jarred Redmond - St Clair
19. Jayden Tavae - St Clair
20. Akeripa Tia Kilifi - Minchinbury
21. Amos Viiga - St Clair
22. Zane Walford - St Marys
23. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak - St Clair
24. Dennis Williams - St Marys

2011 SG Ball Team
1. Jake Attard - St Clair
2. Regan Campbell-Gillard - Windsor
3. Bryce Cartwright - St Marys
4. Jakiel Fuimaono - St Marys
5. Todd Graham
6. James Greber
7. Benjamin Heterick - Brothers
8. Samuel Hickey - Emu Plains
9. Patrick Hollis - Windsor
10. George Jennings - Windsor
11. Jake Maklouf - St Marys
12. Keiran Moss - Windsor
13. Fred Pule
14. Reece Regan - Brothers
15. Ian Riccardi
16. Clay Robinson - Brothers
17. Tony Satini - Glenmore Park
18. Aaron Taavale - Glenmore Park
19. Wiki Tuavao - St Marys
20. Tekina Vailea - St Clair
21. Joe Lee Vaimasenuu - St Marys
22. David Vave - St Marys
23. Joel Waddell - St Marys
24. Joshua Walker - Emu Plains
25. Ryan Wilson - St Clair

Broncos93

Juniors
Yesterdays trial with North Sydney taking on Central Coast at TG Milner
Harold Matthews: Central Coast def North Sydney 28-16
SG Ball: North Sydney def Central Coast 24-12

Central coast seemed a lot stronger than recent years. I heard they've brought in quite a few boys from Penrith and Newcastle to strengthen their teams this year.

North Sydney SG Ball Team:
1. Rhys Abboud
2. Jermain Cavanagh
3. Ryan Clarke
4. Adam Clarke
5. Mark Cowled
6. John Dillon
7. Derek Golding
8. Matthew Hardes
9. Jaiden Hawkes
10. Daniel Haywood
11. Nick Headley
12. Brad Lawrence
13. Tom Leatherby
14. Tyrone Lui
15. Joe Nakhoul
16. Michael Pearsall
17. Karauna Ripia
18. Lars Roy
19. Jordan Russel
20. Blake Spencer
21. Charlie Toamotu
22. Charmoon Tumupu
23. John Tusa
24. Brad Wall
25. Tom Watkins

stormy77

Juniors
North Sydney must of been bad for the central coast to win..... because they do struggle.... going to be a long year for both sides i feel.

BDGS

Bench
Canberra added to Junior Rep draw
NSWRL Media
10/02/2011 4:49:15 PM
The Board of the New South Wales Rugby League has today extended an invitation to the Canberra Club and has also reaffirmed the places of both St George and Illawarra in the 2011 Harold Matthews and SG Ball Competitions after receiving assurances all three Clubs will participate in the 2012 NSW Cup.

“The Canberra Raiders were given a significant amount of time to make arrangements to participate in the 2011 NSW Cup as either a joint-venture or as a standalone entity,” NSWRL General Manager, Geoff Carr, said today.

“When this did not happen, as a member club, their junior representative sides became ineligible to participate in both the Harold Matthews and SG Ball, hence their original exclusion from the draw released in December 2010.

“However, after weeks of negotiations, Canberra Raiders CEO, Don Furner, and Canberra Raiders head coach, David Furner, addressed the NSW Cup Management Committee to emphasize their long term commitment to the NSW Cup.

“Following the meeting, a recommendation was taken to the NSWRL Board that upon receiving written and signed documentation guaranteeing their support and participation in the 2012 NSW Cup that their junior representative sides would be eligible to play in 2011.”

The NSWRL Board has also reinforced that as a member club, it is compulsory to field teams in the Harold Matthews, SG Ball and NSW Cup’s and this will be communicated to all Clubs in due course.

An updated draw can be downloaded for you convenience hereHERE.

The official draws on this website are currently being ammended.

http://nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=33395&title=canberra-added-to-junior-rep-draw

BDGS

Bench
North Sydney must of been bad for the central coast to win..... because they do struggle.... going to be a long year for both sides i feel.

I don't think i have seen North Sydney lose one SG ball trial yet.

junior fan

Juniors
any results from trials today, do we have any predications for round 1 next week........

Manly dominated Parra in both grades. Parra Matts were lucky to score there first points with 10 sec left on the clock. Parra Ball could not score a point.

Broncos93

Juniors
WSAS beat Norths in both grades last night at Western Weekender.

Not sure of scores exactly but I think Harold Matthews was a hiding.

Ball there was only 2 points in it, WSAS scored in the last 30 seconds to get ahead in a sloppy game where there refs were awarding more penalties against the attacking team than the defence, apparently as a result of Harrigan's instant clean up of the play the ball when he was made the boss of refs.

ranga

Juniors
WSAS beat Norths in both grades last night at Western Weekender.

Not sure of scores exactly but I think Harold Matthews was a hiding.

Ball there was only 2 points in it, WSAS scored in the last 30 seconds to get ahead in a sloppy game where there refs were awarding more penalties against the attacking team than the defence, apparently as a result of Harrigan's instant clean up of the play the ball when he was made the boss of refs.
same at the balmain /penrith trial ,there must have been 35 penalties in the ball game and most for playing the ball wrong

blackandwhite

Juniors
same at the balmain /penrith trial ,there must have been 35 penalties in the ball game and most for playing the ball wrong

Ditto Wests and Cronulla 300 penalties for play the ball the ref wasn't interested in the 10 metres just as long as the play the ball was good.

That's great all they need to do now is get instructions on what is a knock on and a knock back....and if their intelligence can handle it...Why defending players standing in front of the Ref ruins the game !

Broncos93

Juniors
Read a report of the Roosters v Bulldogs NRL trial on nrl.com and apparently that was filled with play the ball penalties too. Looks like this year is gonna be very tight on the play the ball throughout the grades.

stormy77

Juniors
About time they fixed it up, it is a rule of the game and players have just been poor at playing the ball over the last few years, I agree not to hard to do,,,,,,,