What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easts BNE NRL bid

mightybears

Bench
Langlands or Davies would be the 2 ideal places to base a team.

Langlands probably a better option due to the decent leagues club.

Langlands is the obvious choice-best culture/infrastructure, any bid whether the B2 bid, or an Easts Tigers bid should be based there

I don't think this bid will ever get off the ground, similar to Wellington IMO.

Even the Easts Tiger support said something along the lines of getting over the name and colour issue and working on the other more important stuff.

They know they can't use 'Tigers' or the colours, they'll go generic, use Diehards/run a comp and use the Easts Tigers Q Cup team as reserve grade as is, colours and symbol.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Rediculous bid. If they were serious maybe, but they only want to have the same opportunities as "NSW clubs" - why single out only 10 clubs?

What is certain is that there is no unity in Brisbane for whoever will represent them. That needs to happen. Perth and CC have it.

lturner

Juniors
So Norths and Redcliffe hey?

The North Brisbane Dolphins?

Two teams north of the river.

I suppose they Dolphins would stretch up to the Sunny Coast.

I don't really think Broncos supporters are concentrated north of the river. They are all over. The fact that their leagues club is in Red Hill is pretty much irrelevant, because it's so close to the city anyway. Plus Red Hill is not really part of the north-side, it's more inner west. But whatever the case, Broncos aren't a North Brisbane team, they are a Brisbane team.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Their feasibility study will probably tell them that their is a huge market for a second Brisbane side but whether that means Easts act on that is another matter. The mere fact that they will have to change their name will mean that they would have to pursue a similar path to the B2 bid and I'm not sure they are capable of that. And knowing they will be in competition with a more well financed operation should stop them in their tracks.

I love Easts but their place is in the QCup, and at the moment they are struggling to handle their place in that (not in terms of money, but rather in the football department).

The opportunity for them is to offer support to the B2 bid as a potential base. In fact, the more I think about it Langlands is superbly situated as a base for the second Brisbane side.

Von

Juniors
Would prefer it if any new NRL sides came from the joint efforts of two or more QLD cup sides as it would at least provide them with a fanbase greater than just everyone who hates the broncos in brisbane.
Agree.

This is getting crazy. NRL surely won't say no to expansion with this many bids knocking down the door.

Crazy indeed. Like the old movie, "It's a mad mad mad mad world"....starts off with a few....ends up with a couple of dozen.

The "Tigers" issue can be got around by East Brisbane in the same way Port Adelaide Magpies got around it when joining the AFL. They couldn't use Magpies as Collingwood has it, nor could they keep their black & white colours, so they added a token colour and called themselves a token name (not an animal). Port Power in black white & teal.

Why not East Brisbane Rebels (i.e. Rebels = all Brisbane RL fans who don't like the Broncos) wearing simply black & gold. (Wests Tigers are black, white & gold.)

BDGS

Bench
Why not East Brisbane Rebels (i.e. Rebels = all Brisbane RL fans who don't like the Broncos) wearing simply black & gold. (Wests Tigers are black, white & gold.)

The problem with that is, Every team uses white as a colour of their jerseys.

They would have to go with something like Black, gold and silver or just copy the GWS giants. :lol:

dimitri

First Grade
perhaps to get around the 'tigers' issue they could call themselves "Brisbane Roar"..................oh hang on....:crazy::crazy:

dogslife

Coach
Would prefer it if any new NRL sides came from the joint efforts of two or more QLD cup sides as it would at least provide them with a fanbase greater than just everyone who hates the broncos in brisbane.

I honestly think there are more people in Brisbane who hate the broncos than like them

Fui!!!

Juniors
I still think a team called Sth Qld is the way to go.

Cover everywhere from Sunshine Coast to Tawoomba. And all Ipswich, Logan / Sth Brisbane.

applesauce

Bench
For those of us proBrisbane2 in whatever form it takes.... Is anyone else concerned all these competing bids may effect sponsorship pledges and in turn the business cases?

Wish they would all get together and work on ONE combined Brisbane2 bid

There is the possible scenario that all bids get decent sponsorship with one or 2 with significant sponsorship. That would show the NRL how much money in the game is being wasted not having a 2nd team in BNE.

Or it could cannibalise the bids sponsors (although Battle for Brisbane is launching offically monday with $10mill+ worth of sponsors and they are the bid here against others in the area, imagine if they got a guarantee for the team).

BDGS

Bench
There is the possible scenario that all bids get decent sponsorship with one or 2 with significant sponsorship. That would show the NRL how much money in the game is being wasted not having a 2nd team in BNE.

Or it could cannibalise the bids sponsors (although Battle for Brisbane is launching offically monday with $10mill+ worth of sponsors and they are the bid here against others in the area, imagine if they got a guarantee for the team).

Would be the darkest day in rugby league since the storm salary cap dramas.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Would be the darkest day in rugby league since the storm salary cap dramas.
images