What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels trial

bigfoot

Juniors
*sigh* Purtell. I don't know if we should be happy that he's out of the backs and into the forwards? If Elliott tries to replace Pritchard with Purtell when the season starts I think I'll lose my mind.

The team looks good. I am a bit surprised we didn't pick a few more players, but I guess we're trying to pick a more realistic team since it's our last trial. Don't think we're allowed to say anything else until the team is released to the public?

franklin2323

Immortal
*sigh* Purtell. I don't know if we should be happy that he's out of the backs and into the forwards? If Elliott tries to replace Pritchard with Purtell when the season starts I think I'll lose my mind.

The team looks good. I am a bit surprised we didn't pick a few more players, but I guess we're trying to pick a more realistic team since it's our last trial. Don't think we're allowed to say anything else until the team is released to the public?
well it's on twitter we can talk about it. This site won't let us post it without a link to the website. He has the size to play in the pack if he can tackle I am fine with it. When House, Smith, Paulo even Laurie return he won't be near the team.

bigfoot

Juniors
well it's on twitter we can talk about it. This site won't let us post it without a link to the website. He has the size to play in the pack if he can tackle I am fine with it. When House, Smith, Paulo even Laurie return he won't be near the team.

Fair enough.
Yeah I have no problem with him playing in the pack if he earns it. I'm just worried that he'll get picked regardless like last year, except this time in the 2nd row instead of in the backs! :(

abpanther

Staff member
I can't view the site as I'm at work.

Is there any way that Burns doesn't start at #6 this season?

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah thats always a worry. Our backrow of trent. Smith. Lewis pretty much play the whole game. So maybe a bench spot. He has no impact so would be a waste in the bench. He was actually decent last wkd. Lets see if it was a fluke or not

Spitty

Juniors
Burns is suspended this week, Taumata's playing 6.

I expect a few of the Windsor players'll back up off the bench in the 2nd half of FG.

Bell and Purtell is a very manufactured backrow. A lot of yardage in them, but lateral defence is a sacrifice. Obviously one of them is marking time until Waterhouse comes back.

Not sure where Smith is, anyone else know?

Gibb, Weston and Worrincy must be coming through Windsor i guess, but as far as I know that team hasn't been announced.

abpanther

Staff member
I know Burns is suspended but is he guaranteed to start in the #6?

Gee it would be nice for Taumata to push him, Burns at #6 doesn't inspire me at all.

Also, a starting backrow of House, Lewis and Smith is solid, but Smith offers nothing that the other two don't cover, we really need Paulo to step up and crack the starting line up to offer some game breaking ability that we lose with Pritchard gone.

Is Gordon named on the wing?

Spitty

Juniors

Gee it would be nice for Taumata to push him, Burns at #6 doesn't inspire me at all.

Also, a starting backrow of House, Lewis and Smith is solid, but Smith offers nothing that the other two don't cover, we really need Paulo to step up and crack the starting line up to offer some game breaking ability that we lose with Pritchard gone.

Sorry mate, misinterpreted your post. I don't think Burns is guaranteed anything, especially if Taumata has a blinder on Saturday night.

Godon's fullback with Simmons on his wing and Coote on the bench.

age.s

First Grade
The manufactured spot for Purtell really does make me facepalm. I'm skeptical that he will defend any better in the centre of the park than he did out wide.

franklin2323

Immortal

Team: Gordon. Simmons. Jennings. Tighe. Earl. Taumata. Walsh. Grant. Kingston. Petero. Bell. Purtell. Lewis: McKendry. Plum. Gordon. Coote. Masada. Walker. Faitaki. Well I want Taumata over Burns however last game Burns played outstanding when he was on in the 1st 1/2. He was running the plays, talking well. Kicking well Taumata was abit quiet but outplayed the grub Masada. So put him on the bench. It looked like we are playing a different style wasn't much running out wide. Seemed to give the backs more space without Pritchard bludging in the centres. No starting backrower played last week so it's hard to tell. So far Bell might push Smith to the bench. I stil think we need that explosive player on the bench

mxlegend99

Referee
Adrian Purtell has to have some incriminating photos of Matt Elliott or something. He has got to be the worst player to consistently keep getting chances despite showing no signs of improvement, and rather then being dropped for better players he's just moved around to make sure he has a spot in the team.

He might weigh as much as the lighter second rowers, but he's extremely weak for his size and has no mongrel. He got dominated and shown up in the centres and on the wing. There's just no way at all he'll make it in the forwards.

Matt Elliott neads to get his head out of his ass and drop him. He's a crap player. No amount of chopping and changing positions is going to magically turn him into the star that Elliott wants him to be.

mxlegend99

Referee
i dont know why u guys pay out purts he was one of our best backs last yr
Is that a joke?

He was easily our worst back all season. Our best performing backs in 2010 were:

1. Coote
2. Earl
3. Jennings
4. Gordon (although for 2010 switch him with Tighe)
5. Tighe

Those were our top 5 backs, so that should be our full strength backline for 2011. Then we had a few others play and of those Adrian Purtell was still the worst. In order they were:

Shane Elford
David Simmons
Adrian Purtell

With how terribly he played I would also happily throw in an Under 20's or Windsor Wolves centre/winger ahead of him if it came to it.

Fibroman

First Grade
I think it's a good thing that Purts has been named in the forwards. He isn't quick enough off the mark to be a back, and this way, he eithers muscles up or finds himself at Windsor.

I wouldn't be so quick to write Burns off. Taumata is an unknown quantity at this stage. Burns lacks some imagination and skills, but makes up for it with determination and mongrel, something that our team as a whole lacks.

Paulo really needs to step up this year or we are in big trouble. Aside from McKendry and Lewis, we don't really have any forwards that can break the defensive line. Even Waterhouse bases his attack on running holes and popping passes rather than busting tackles.

Pritchard was hot and cold, but I think we are really going to miss his impact this year.

soc123_au

Staff member
I think Elliott thinks Purts can replace Peanuts because he can spend 70 percent of the time bludging in the centers. Where it comes unstuck is the other 30 percent. Peanuts when he was on is a freak, the turtle doesnt have it in him. Hopefully Laurie fires or Worrinicy, not looking good though with neither getting a run in the trials.