What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2011 Season Preview - Penrith Panthers

Big Mick

Referee
Twelve months ago we saw history made in the USA with the New Orleans Saints winning the Super Bowl, we still knew of Lebron James as that good guy from Cleveland and the NRL was still in the midst of Hayne-mania. But like most years, once again, the critics were writing off the Penrith Panthers team as perennial underachievers and one of the favourites for the wooden spoon.

2010, however, was a banner year for the maligned Panthers performing well above expectations while carrying the unwanted and undeserved tag of pretenders throughout their successful second placed regular season. While many will point to the Panthers exit from the finals as justification for that moniker, the mounting injury toll was just too much for the young Panthers.

That finals experience in particular will fuel the fire for 2011. The players are notably hungry to improve on their 2010 season and the young players now have a successful campaign under their belt and know what it takes to be successful. The Panthers season will be contingent on the young core of Lachlan Coote, Michael Jennings, Michael Gordon, Tim Grant and Sam McKendry to improve even further on their 2010 season to elevate the team to greater heights.

Despite the optimism of the 2011 season there are some negatives that go with a successful 2010 season and that is dealing with the salary cap. For much of the 2010 season the majority of the Panthers squad was off-contract and while the likes of Grant, McKendry, Kingston, Gordon and Jennings were successfully retained, the Panthers lost game-winning backrower Frank Pritchard to the Bulldogs and talented young five-eight Wade Graham to the Sharks.

In order to replace outgoing players the Panthers are hoping a couple of journeyman will step up to the plate and realise their potential at their new clubs, along with a few exciting young prospects. The Panthers signed Arana Tuamata from the Cowboys to ensure he sets a record for most clubs by one player along with signing maligned backrower Yileen Gordon. The Panthers also secured the services of two exciting young players in Backrower Brendon Gibb (Qld Cup) and livewire hooker Nafe Seluini (Warriors Under 20's player of the year). The Panthers will be hoping these players will contribute on a regular basis to negate the loss of Pritchard and Graham.

The Panthers will go into 2011 with the majority of their team in place. The backs will remain unchanged from the back end of the year with the electric Lachlan Coote back from his Oesteo Pubis injury while gamebreakers Michael Jennings and Michael Gordon will again add their flair and excitement to the game.

In the halves there is stability with the kicking wizard Luke Walsh who led the league in assists last season, while Travis Burns will again provide the spark in defense and niggle at opposition players. The halves will have the duty in 2011 to provide an additional dimension to the Panthers attack other than reliance on kicks. While this fact was overblown last year, the Panthers must incorporate their exciting backline more in order to add unpredictability and promote an attacking brand of rugby league that they are more than capable of producing.

The Panthers strength, like in previous seasons, lies in their forward pack led by stalwarts Petero Civoniceva, Trent Waterhouse and Dally M Lock of the Year Luke Lewis. The Panthers pack incorporates a mix of youth and experience that will match any in the NRL. While the loss of Frank Pritchard reduces the impact of the Panthers pack, young guns like Grant and McKendry lifted another level last year and indications are they have once again in preparation for 2011. Alongside dependable players in Matthew Bell and Nathan Smith the Panthers pack will once again be a force.

2011 is a year where the Panthers once again go in with the labels of pretenders. Many pundits have put the Panthers 2010 season down to a fluke, once again predicting the Panthers to fall out of top 8 and be in contention for the Wooden Spoon. If the Panthers are to prove that 2010 was not a fluke, then Matthew Elliott and his mountain men must step up and deliver again.

Player To Watch – Sam McKendry
Much has been made of the loss of the Panthers Kiwi International Frank Pritchard. While that loss is felt at the foot of the mountains, it is one Kiwi International who emerged in 2010 who is the player to watch for 2011. In 2010 Sam McKendry put the word realised next to the word potential which had been following him for many years. It was a benchmark year for McKendry and he'll be looking to secure his place as one of the best young props in the game and most of all his spot in the Kiwi International team. A bulldozing prop with great footwork and a great offload, while McKendry has realised some of his potential in 2010, he is just scratching the surface of what he is capable of.

Rookie To Watch – Jesse Sene Lefao
Jesse Sene Lefao has risen through the ranks at the Panthers to emerge as the rookie to watch for the 2011 season. Last year he was moulding his craft in the NSW Cup after being a dominant player in the Toyota Cup in the 2008 and 2009 seasons. Jesse is a versatile player capable of player centre or backrow with a silky set of skills along with bone-crushing defense. In 2011 Jesse will be looking to take the opportunity to emerge into the First Grade squad as a dynamic playmaking backrow replacement for Frank Pritchard. His trial form for the Panthers has shown that Jesse is maturing as a football player and his opportunity may not be too far away to play in the NRL for the Penrith Panthers.

Signings/Losses

Gains: Yileen Gordon (Canterbury-Bankstown), Arana Taumata (North Queensland Cowboys), Coedi Towney (The Entrance - Bundaberg Red Cup), Dayne Weston (North Queensland Cowboys), Michael Worrincy (Bradford Bulls - Super League), Nafe Seluini (Warriors), Brendon Gibb (Norths Devils - Queensland Cup), Junior Paulo (St George Illawarra), Tim Winitana (Canterbury-Bankstown

Losses: Wade Graham (Cronulla), Frank Pritchard (Canterbury-Bankstown), Gavin Cooper (North Queensland Cowboys), Josh Bateman (North Queensland Cowboys), Maurice Blair (Melbourne Storm), Daniel Penese (St George Illawarra)

Best Line-up
1. Lachlan Coote, 2. Sandor Earl, 3. Michael Jennings, 4. Brad Tighe, 5. Michael Gordon, 6. Travis Burns, 7. Luke Walsh, 8. Petero Civoniceva, 9. Kevin Kingston, 10. Tim Grant, 11. Nathan Smith, 12. Trent Waterhouse, 13. Luke Lewis
Interchange: 14. Sam McKendry, 15. Matthew Bell, 16. Yileen Gordon, 17. Nafe Seluini

What you reckon?

bigfoot

Juniors
Really great preview, IMO. Agree with it completely.

I hope though to see Gordon and Tighe swap positions to see how Gordon goes at centre. And that's not just based on his form last year either, I wanted to see him at centre in 2008 & 2009 too because I think he'd be great there.

Seluini is a great pick for the bench... dead set carved up on the weekend for Windsor. I'd also like to see Sene-Lefao get a shot from the bench at some stage, however maybe Yileen is a safer choice for Round 1.

Not sure what to do with Taumata... I'd like him to be in the Top 17, however I don't want to see Burns left out, I don't really want to see Walsh left out (at least for now), I don't want to see Lewis moved from lock for Burns to play there (so Taumata moves to #6), and I really want to see Seluini get a chance from the bench. So yeah, I really don't know what to do with him? Maybe play him at centre and drop Tighe or Earl? No idea.

Purtell will probably be there in Round 1, unfortunately. Probably in the 2nd row or on the bench, since Elliott seems to have given up on him in the backs. So that means we can really only pick 16 other players... so who gets left out of the above side? Seluini? Smith? Y. Gordon?

Definitely looking forward to this season. It wouldn't surprise me to see us drop down the table a little bit, but I still feel we'll comfortably make the Top 8 and push for a Top 4 spot.
As mentioned we'll be relying a lot on the younger guys to keep up their form and possibly improve, but we'll also definitely be relying on our halves & Lewis for plenty of try assists like last year. I don't think we're going to be noted for our defence, so we'll have to rely on attack.

franklin2323

Immortal
Great work Big Mick hard to argue with that preview. Great best 17 after watching both trials that's our best 17. The only bolter could be Sene-Lafeo coming in. Although it prob won't be until injuries or Origin hit. Only 1 minor thing Winitana has gone to Newtown. However he did start training so it's not the end of the world. Still a great article

franklin2323

Immortal
So called 'professionals' list Elford as retired. So thats minor. The main thing is it's well written, lists positives & negatives of the team. Is written without personal opinions

Fibroman

First Grade
A good read Big Mick.

My concerns about the year are Petero and Waterhouse being another year older and perhaps past their peak, a lack of impact in the backrow and the Elliott game plan.

On the up-swing, Grant and McKendry another year closer to their peak, Jennings, Coote and Gordon to improve, some fresh new faces with some attacking ability.

Fingers crossed for a good season regardless.

mxlegend99

Referee
Great work Big Mick. It seems the only way we'll ever get decent write ups when it comes to these things is when a Panthers fan does it. The amount of people predicting us to finish toward the bottom of the ladder this season is ridiculous.

We'll finish between 6th and 10th IMO. I can't see us finishing lower then 12th though... we have too many young guns in our side who will only improve. Something people seem to forget and they only ever look at gains and losses. Almost every year we lose more talent then we gain... so that's nothing new.

Kilkenny

Coach
Excellent preview Mick, well done.

Only thing missing was your predicted finishing position?

Kilkenny

Coach
Despite the obvious disappointing showing in the 'Battle of West' I am prepared to write off that performance and remain optimistic we can be competitive in 2011.

Unlike last season when we played above our weight I cannot see a second placed finishing position after 26 rounds.

At our best I think a realistic finished position will be 5th -8th.

If we lose key players to injury/suspension or simply don't perform at our best then I suspect it may be another less than satisfactory season finishing outside the top eight.

It is a 'motherhood' statement I know but our start is crucial, the first half a dozen rounds, will determine our season. We need to be say 4 and 2 or no worse and 3 & 3. Anything less and I suspect it will be lean pickings. We need to hit the ground running and register a convincing victory at home against the knights. Get the fans involved from the start and perform particularly well throughout the season at CUA/Centrebet Stadium.

I have no doubt we have the nucleus of a reasonable side, whether we have the class in key positions will surely remain our achilles heel.

My prediction for 2012: Eight position.

Kilkenny

Coach
I actually think Timina Tahu even at age 31 could be worth a risk. Would surely only come on a back loaded two year deal where he would earn decent dollars in 2012. At his age he has limited time left, whether is be in league or going back to Union in France/UK/Japan and surely he would be looking for a final payday. Who wouldn't your a long time retired and he's hardly likely to get a TV deal. Still unlikely and if he is to play NRL this season I suspect the Sharks are a more likely destination.

mxlegend99

Referee
He would be worth $500k a season if it meant that Adrian Purtell wasn't picked. I'd have him at wing, centre and second row ahead of Purts.

Kilkenny

Coach
He would be worth $500k a season if it meant that Adrian Purtell wasn't picked. I'd have him at wing, centre and second row ahead of Purts.

It's great that we have even been talking to Tahu I suppose but my gut feeling is he will surely try and secure one last big payday. That big payday can surely only be delivered in Rugby Union in saw France or Japan. The absolute maximum deal he could secure in the NRL would be a two year deal worth say $400K in total. $100K in 2011 and $300 in 2012 and frankly no CEO is going to take that sort of gamble on a troubled 31 year old.

maple_69

Bench
Good review Mick.

I'm really intrigued by all the reviews we're getting.
nrl.com has us finishing 13th, Gould 14th (not surprised), Laurie Daley has us 15th, Alpha Magazine has us 15th.

I know a lot of these reviewers are very biased/clowns but it is interesting to see that we've seemingly been written off completely for this year. Maybe I'm too close to the club but given we've lost one key player and have had a year together and a year for all our youngsters to grow, get experience (in big games also), I just can't see us dropping below 10th really. I see 6-10 with 4/5 being best case scenario, just missing the finals being worst.

typicalfan

Coach
It just seemed Penrith were on the way down before the end of last year, although Micky G was storming the house down, I thought the team ran out of petrol and 2011 will be tough unless there are changes to the game plan.

Remember the Roosters went from top 4 to wooden spoon in a season.