What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The TV rights thread

Who would you like to see get the rights providing the price is right?

• Seven

Votes: 57 20.5%
  • Nine

Votes: 49 17.6%
  • Ten

Votes: 110 39.6%
  • Rights split between FTA channels

Votes: 147 52.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
Kerry Stokes said:
''We're going for rugby league,'' the network boss said. ''We've got so much money now.''

I've been saying that since day one.

This whole issue is personal for Stokes and he's got the resources to get revenge.

The 7-10 management salvo is just going to escalate the fight and the battleground is Rugby League.

Nevertheless, industry sources believe the AFL will go close to its $1bn target, but only with income from Telstra for IPTV and mobile phone rights included.

No matter what happens, the AFL will make sure it manipulates the numbers to get the mythical billion.

Quidgybo

Bench
With the heat at the moment in Perth I've been watching some games played in 20min 1/4's with 5min drinks breaks at the 20 and 60min mark. Works fine and doesn;t interupt the flow too much, in fact gives chance to quickly run to the bar or loo wi'hout missing any action.

I would prefer this to the constant 30sec ads Ch9 squeeze in at every opportunity.
Obviously being based in the US for the last four years I've had a lot of exposure to the NFL and a lot of opportunities to ponder how that league works and why it does certain things. One of the big differences with four quarter football in the NFL with how it has been done at various times in Rugby League is that the end of the quarter in American football does not reset the game.

If you have the ball on second down 20 yards out from the goal line at quarter time or three quarter time then after the break you still have the ball on second down 20 yards out. Contrast this with the All Stars game where the new quarter started with a kick off and any existing position was lost. The former is much more analogous to the drinks breaks we have in early rounds of the premiership proper.

Personally, I'd have no problem with extending the concept of mid half drinks from just the hot early rounds to every game through the entire season. At the first convenient break in play after the 19 minute mark, the ref calls time off for two and a quarter minutes, the players get a drink and a huddle, television gets an ad break, and then play resumes from where it left off. If that makes us significantly more valuable for television then I don't think it's that big a compromise. We already do it in the early rounds.

Likewise, I would have no problem with having two and a quarter minute breaks after conversion attempts and successful penalty goals or field goals. Rather than squeezing ads in between the try and the conversion the natural place is before the start of the new segment of play with a kickoff. What's important for me is that the game between kickoff and score is allowed to flow and parts of it are not missed while they squeeze in ads where they don't fit. Again if that would make us significantly more valuable to television then I don't think it's an unacceptable compromise. It's a natural break in play.

Of course I'd rather the game without these television breaks but I'm pragmatic about this sort of thing. A big part of what makes the NFL so valuable to television is that it allows a lot of ads to be shown during a live telecast. I think Rugby League is the much better game because it is so fast and flows but I recognise that it doesn't allow many ads in a live telecast. If we are to make any concessions to allow more ads and extract significantly more money for our game then I'd be prepared to do it on the terms I've outlined above.

Leigh

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
The Big Faggy mob will love this lol

There was also an eddy Mcdoofus quote in the Herald Sun today saying he expects the AFL will be extended to a 24 round home and away season next year and the NAB cup will be dropped. Season to start earlier.

This probably has a lot to do with the "$1b" figure they want.

Also, the one thing the AFL seems not to want to compromise on is Live Friday night coverage.

It looks like the AFL have been offered something around $900m for the tv rights, and are now looking for extra dosh from pay TV, longer season, scrapping the NAB cup, and increasing their internet/new media rights to scrape over the "$1b" number.

EDIT: Heres the article

EDDIE McGuire says the AFL will scrap the NAB Cup next year and extend the home-and-away season.

The home-and-away season is 24 rounds this season including two byes. The byes will disappear next year when Greater Western Sydney enters the competition, but the season format is yet to be decided.

Speaking on Triple M today, the Collingwood president was confident of the outcome. He said NAB would be compensated for losing naming rights to the pre-season competition.

“The season will go to 24 games and they (NAB) will sponsor the finals series, that way they’ll get the money ... Probably the NAB Cup will die off,” McGuire told Triple M's Hot Breakfast.

“What they’ll do is, they’ll start focusing on the sponsorship of the finals series so that the money stays in the competition and you might have a few practice games but it will be a 24-game season.”

McGuire’s comments came after Collingwood midfielder Luke Ball said players didn't like the NAB Cup.

“The first- to third-year (players) coming in are keen as mustard and can’t wait to go and play,” Ball said on Triple M.

“The guys in the latter part of their career are probably on the other side of that.”

“I think what brought it to a head were the crowds on the weekend, they were a bit disappointing weren’t they?”

“I know ours (10,773 against Sydney) was a little bit disappointing for a Collingwood game.”
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...death-of-nab-cup/story-e6frf9jf-1226014788988

I think RL is on track to get more than $850m at this point. How much more is dependent on:

* if and where we expand, and how that extra game is broadcast (Perth and Brisbane would be worth quite a bit to broadcasters. Unsure if Pay TV or free to air would generate the most revenue)
* new media and internet components,
* sponsorship influences on aspects of the deal (particularily Telstra's role)
* back room dealing between Murdoch, Telstra, Packer, Stokes and PBL
* wether or not the rights can be split
* et cetra.

We can potentially crack $1b, but we need everything to go our way for it to happen. I think we may end up with something between $850-950m.

That would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
Money vs mid week origin or having dedicated weekends for origin with the premiership suspended. not sure...how is one more profitable than the other?
The networks have made it abundantly clear they don't want weekends without premiership matches. They do not see Origin plus a few add on matches like a New Zealand vs Pacific Islands game or whatever as acceptable subsititute. They believe it would cost them ratings for all the games outside of the Origin match. That equals less value for them and less money for us if we hold out for it.

Leigh.

Slackboy72

Coach
There was also an eddy Mcdoofus quote in the Herald Sun today saying he expects the AFL will be extended to a 24 round home and away season next year and the NAB cup will be dropped. Season to start earlier.

This probably has a lot to do with the "$1b" figure they want.

Also, the one thing the AFL seems not to want to compromise on is Live Friday night coverage.

It looks like the AFL have been offered something around $900m for the tv rights, and are now looking for extra dosh from pay TV, longer season, scrapping the NAB cup, and increasing their internet/new media rights to scrape over the "$1b" number.

EDIT: Heres the article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...death-of-nab-cup/story-e6frf9jf-1226014788988

I think RL is on track to get more than $850m at this point. How much more is dependent on:

* if and where we expand, and how that extra game is broadcast (Perth and Brisbane would be worth quite a bit to broadcasters. Unsure if Pay TV or free to air would generate the most revenue)
* new media and internet components,
* sponsorship influences on aspects of the deal (particularily Telstra's role)
* back room dealing between Murdoch, Telstra, Packer, Stokes and PBL
* wether or not the rights can be split
* et cetra.

We can potentially crack $1b, but we need everything to go our way for it to happen. I think we may end up with something between $850-950m.

That would be pretty awesome.

I personally don't think expansion is a major concern for the bidders right now.
They want their slice of the NSW-QLD action that 9 has kept to itself for so long now.

The major points to take from the article are:
  • more than one network is allowed to bid now;
  • 7 is all cashed up and ready to fight;
  • 10 and 7 network executives having power breakfast together (wonder what they could be discussing :roll:);
  • L Murdoch hates AFL (a man after El D's heart no less); and
  • GWS and GC Suns have failed to bring Demetriou his magic billion dollar contract.

The AFL created white elephants are looking to already be a dud for NSW and QLD viewers. The NRL is about to cash in big time and if you want proof ask yourself this: Why do we have seven bids for teams to join the NRL and AFL had none?

El Diablo

Post Whore
the AFL did have Tasmania

they instead put in two teams from areas that never wanted them

madness really

taipan

Referee
The Big Faggy mob will love this lol

The usual fumbler suspects,are going off a treat on the Roar/Rah with Roy's latest writings.Such as he "writes crap,he rambles,on all the time about AFL.
"
They hate him with a passion.Keep it up Roy,it makes my day.;-)
Two things I want to happen ,the NRL get close or actually a$1b deal all up,and expand into Perth and CC/Brisbane.the thought of Perth getting in gives them the sh*ts.

Obviously being based in the US for the last four years I've had a lot of exposure to the NFL and a lot of opportunities to ponder how that league works and why it does certain things. One of the big differences with four quarter football in the NFL with how it has been done at various times in Rugby League is that the end of the quarter in American football does not reset the game.

If you have the ball on second down 20 yards out from the goal line at quarter time or three quarter time then after the break you still have the ball on second down 20 yards out. Contrast this with the All Stars game where the new quarter started with a kick off and any existing position was lost. The former is much more analogous to the drinks breaks we have in early rounds of the premiership proper.

Personally, I'd have no problem with extending the concept of mid half drinks from just the hot early rounds to every game through the entire season. At the first convenient break in play after the 19 minute mark, the ref calls time off for two and a quarter minutes, the players get a drink and a huddle, television gets an ad break, and then play resumes from where it left off. If that makes us significantly more valuable for television then I don't think it's that big a compromise. We already do it in the early rounds.

Likewise, I would have no problem with having two and a quarter minute breaks after conversion attempts and successful penalty goals or field goals. Rather than squeezing ads in between the try and the conversion the natural place is before the start of the new segment of play with a kickoff. What's important for me is that the game between kickoff and score is allowed to flow and parts of it are not missed while they squeeze in ads where they don't fit. Again if that would make us significantly more valuable to television then I don't think it's an unacceptable compromise. It's a natural break in play.

Of course I'd rather the game without these television breaks but I'm pragmatic about this sort of thing. A big part of what makes the NFL so valuable to television is that it allows a lot of ads to be shown during a live telecast. I think Rugby League is the much better game because it is so fast and flows but I recognise that it doesn't allow many ads in a live telecast. If we are to make any concessions to allow more ads and extract significantly more money for our game then I'd be prepared to do it on the terms I've outlined above.

Leigh

Could totally go for that. To me its how I think and would not be a problem. I have long said and thought that we have good ad opportunities going unused that would not break up play very much at all.

The usual fumbler suspects,are going off a treat on the Roar/Rah with Roy's latest writings.Such as he "writes crap,he rambles,on all the time about AFL.
"
They hate him with a passion.Keep it up Roy,it makes my day.;-)
Two things I want to happen ,the NRL get close or actually a$1b deal all up,and expand into Perth and CC/Brisbane.the thought of Perth getting in gives them the sh*ts.

Go Roy!!

I think perth would be sweet, stick it up afl, moved into 2 afl markets. i hear work in melbourne is paying off.

bobmar28

Bench
I've been saying that since day one.

This whole issue is personal for Stokes and he's got the resources to get revenge.

The 7-10 management salvo is just going to escalate the fight and the battleground is Rugby League.

No matter what happens, the AFL will make sure it manipulates the numbers to get the mythical billion.

Revenge for the C7 fiasco?

bobmar28

Bench

Leigh

I'm ok with that. Start the game where it was after each quarter break/drinks break.

2 minute breaks after scoring would work fine as well, gives some time for some replays, the tv gets say 90 seconds of ad time then we cut back to the ref blowin his whistle and the conversion getting taken. wouldnt slow the game down at all. Tv time out around the 20 min mark would work also

BDGS

Bench
I'm ok with that. Start the game where it was after each quarter break/drinks break.

We already have some games played under these rules. It's called the Heat rule, i think it's most games played in above 30 Degrees.

Although the quarter time breaks aren't as long as the NFL's.

Making all games into quarters similar to the NFL will take away from the game imo, the main reason why our game is so great is because its so fast and hard. Let's not slow it down.

Dogs Of War

Coach
We already have some games played under these rules. It's called the Heat rule, i think it's most games played in above 30 Degrees.

Although the quarter time breaks aren't as long as the NFL's.

Making all games into quarters similar to the NFL will take away from the game imo, the main reason why our game is so great is because its so fast and hard. Let's not slow it down.

If it means getting a lot more cash into the game, then the NRL really needs to think about it. It may mean that given there are a few more breaks in play, that interchanges are reduced to 8 per side or something like that. After a try I do think 90 seconds to take the kick should be a given, with time OFF when a try is scored, and the kick is taking place, thus we get more game time. 2minute breaks at the 20min mark should be a given. Typically given 5 scores per match, you could probably see 10 extra ads from kicks (30secs each), plus another 8 extra ads from quarter time breaks. Thats got to see a whole lot more money for the TV stations, and in turn a lot more money going to the NRL. It's something the AFL has done pretty well with, and the NRL needs to see how it can implement similar things without detracting from the game as a whole.

If it means getting a lot more cash into the game, then the NRL really needs to think about it. It may mean that given there are a few more breaks in play, that interchanges are reduced to 8 per side or something like that. After a try I do think 90 seconds to take the kick should be a given, with time OFF when a try is scored, and the kick is taking place, thus we get more game time. 2minute breaks at the 20min mark should be a given. Typically given 5 scores per match, you could probably see 10 extra ads from kicks (30secs each), plus another 8 extra ads from quarter time breaks. Thats got to see a whole lot more money for the TV stations, and in turn a lot more money going to the NRL. It's something the AFL has done pretty well with, and the NRL needs to see how it can implement similar things without detracting from the game as a whole.

How would this affect live scheduling, then? We're talking about maybe an extra 15 minutes per game, which would mean a 7:00pm or 7:15pm kick-off in order to get the 9:30pm game on early enough (Friday nights)?

Super Saturday would move to a 5:00pm start?

Dogs Of War

Coach
How would this affect live scheduling, then? We're talking about maybe an extra 15 minutes per game, which would mean a 7:00pm or 7:15pm kick-off in order to get the 9:30pm game on early enough (Friday nights)?

Super Saturday would move to a 5:00pm start?

The second game starts at 10pm then on a Friday night (7:30pm is when the game has to start on a Friday night to maximise crowds). And like you said, Super Saturday starts a touch earlier. These aren't make or break situations, just ones that mean the NRL has to look at how the games are scheduled a little more to ensure the least cross over of starting times. It's a small price to pay to get more money into the game. Especially with the clubs having the new legislation hanging over them which would affect Leagues clubs grants.

Quidgybo

Bench
2 minute breaks after scoring would work fine as well, gives some time for some replays, the tv gets say 90 seconds of ad time then we cut back to the ref blowin his whistle and the conversion getting taken. wouldnt slow the game down at all.
That's not quiet what I'm suggesting. I'm saying I would find a two minute (really two and a quarter minute given lead out and lead in) break *after* the conversion an acceptable compromise for television dollars. The time between try and conversion is the natural spot to show replays and relive the moment immediately after it occurs (at least from our point of view). The conversion completes the current segment of play and the kick off starts a new segment of play. It's a natural break in the game. Ads jammed in the moment a try is scored really ruin the moment. I'd happily give television a full two minute break after the conversion if they were commited (contractually) to not break into the euphoria following a try.

Leigh.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
Id be happy with a game starting live but finishing on a 20 minute delay. That way it would allow the network to get some more ads in at natural intervals, making the broadcasting rights worth more to them.

E.T.D

Juniors
After reading the last dozen posts, you'd be mistaken for thinking 'How do we become more like the AFL?'

Status
Not open for further replies.