What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Standards Hasler on Gallop

t-ba

Post Whore
Stewart was suspended because he was up for sexual offences. Everything else was cover.

We should probably move on however...but Hasler makes a perfectly valid point. But we should probably move on...

Merdy33

Juniors
Hasler clearly doesn't have a grasp on things and has an axe to grind if thats the case.

And if your issue is for the few that think Stewart deserved his punishment, your taking it up with a small minority. Get used to it, this is going to happen again and again. Are you going to take offence the next player that doesn't get suspended or will you just let it go that the NRL made a mistake with Stewart?

My advice, get over it now because situations like this will happen again.

I think you're pretty much right on this. However I'm just saying that while Hasler should probably move on as well, he was close to Stewart during a hellish 18 months and this has influenced his comments.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think you're pretty much right on this. However I'm just saying that while Hasler should probably move on as well, he was close to Stewart during a hellish 18 months and this has influenced his comments.

Which IMO is poor form on Hasler's part as all he is doing here is saying "what about Bret?".

All Des is doing is reminding the public of what Stewart was accused of.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
THE chief executive of the NRL, David Gallop, hit back yesterday at criticism of his handling of wayward Rooster Todd Carney, saying the league had acted impartially and had been even-handed in its decision not to suspend the young player.

The Roosters fined Carney $10,000 on Thursday and ordered the troubled star to attend counselling after he was charged with low-range drink driving last weekend.

Gallop angrily hit out at a column in yesterday's The Daily Telegraph by Sports Editor-at-large Phil Rothfield, which questioned the NRL boss's handling of the Carney affair and compared it to Brett Stewart's four-week suspension by the league the previous year.

"The two cases are very different." Gallop said. "[The] Carney [incident] involved a largely inadvertent act last Saturday morning.

"Stewart's conduct was at a season launch which the club itself admitted to handling badly. Despite this, no action was taken by Manly.

"We look at each case on its merits and in its own context. In other words, we make our decisions impartially, with even handedness, across all clubs, as a primary motivation.

"Any suggestion that these decisions are infected by a desire to please someone else is incorrect, malicious and defamatory. We have maintained that position over many years and while we are not immune from criticism, we totally reject any suggestion of bias."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-club-bias-claim/story-e6frexnr-1226016146880

SoftSydney

Juniors
I think what helped contribute to Stewarts suspension was the fact that it was the clubs season launch.

I'm sure (not really) that if it wasnt an official function he wouldnt have been banned if that was the real reason.

Got it in one mate, and Watmough got a 10k fine for calling a sponsors daughter a mole lol then trying to punch her old man out. I thought that was pretty cool

Didnt T rex blow .1 last year too... des your a goose mate move on

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...dd-carney-affair/story-fn2mcuj6-1226016087266

Totally agree with Hasler here and Gallop is a soft c***k not suspending him even though its low range this tool has been de registered, pisses on people literally,runs from the cops while driving suspended,jumps on peoples cars and probably done a hell of a lot more we dont know about and cops a 10k fine.
Well as for Stewart id be pisses myself as he got a rort deal being suspended when he wasnt even guilty of doing anything to a women so they make up cos he was drunk at a season launch.
I know players who are Dally M get a get of jail card they can use through their career like Hayne,Johns just to name a few on onfield incidents which should of been suspensions but they was Dally M players so they do get the better deal.
Also I bet Hasler will get phone calls that its not appropriate to be saying these things as its not right to be fair dinkum about who has balls and who hasnt.

pffft. all things considered, what can you do to make it better. more punishment?

I just do not see a direct correlation with making things right as to the punishment society can offer.

Even back in the day when someone did something to annoy you or much worse, and you killed him with your sword or firearm, what true good comes of it?

I'd like to highlight to you the deeper levels happening here. I am not saying he deserves to continue like he is: someone needs to stop him. But how can you save a man from himself?

He plays football and honestly, I don't agree that the world should (or will) spare him consequences, but all he is guilty of is lifting his glass to his mouth one too many times. Sure, he was over, and he could have hurt or injured someone (being more likely is all as anytime you drive is a danger potentially).

BUT in this case, from an NRL point of view....all things considered, best to let it publicly slip and fade away, and have a quiet word in his ear.

For instance the ramifications of this: will make me surprised if we see him in the spotlight too much more than is worthy considering his past. I.e They will be hoping he fades into obscurity [if he cant pull it together]. So its like walking a tightrope

Which brings us back to, just what do you do? Its either rub him out forever, or hope he comes good. I believe the best option was made. Its probably prudent to not waste any more time on this man. U wont save him from himself as only he can. And to prolong the matter seems an unjust taint.

Personally I called it a slip on his behalf. He was a terrible alcoholic and now he has kinda changed his ways I guess mistakes are bound to happen. Good luck Mr Carney.

Its his right to have a whinge (of hassler), but what good will it do, and who knows by what tone Hassler used when he whinged. Newspapers are iffy to me. :) Only so much can be done. And in life there are sometimes no solutions, only management. And no wrong has been done in managing this.

Lets compare apples to apples. Gallop has repeatedly claimed that Stewart was not suspended because of the sexual assault allegations. He was suspended for being drunk and bringing the game into disrepute. The facts are that he was accused of drinking too much. He was asked to leave, and did so without incident. He left in a cab. It was for these actions that Gallop claimed he was suspended. What happened after that (according to Gallop) had nothing to do with his punishment.
Now, do you all understand that? I'll repeat it for those who are slow on the uptake. Stewart (a cleanskin at the time) was suspended for being asked to leave a pub, which he did, and getting into a cab.
Now repeat offender Carney (who I actually don't mind) received a far lesser punishment for DUI. And people think this doesn't deserve to be challenged?

While this may be true to some extent, consider the wider effects each has on the image of the game. AND I SEEM to remember him doing a LITTLE BIT more than just getting drunk and hoping in a cab. He was clearly out of line, mate. Making a fool of himself to girls and guys alike. IN your version, apparently he was getting drunk at a table all by himself, and they walked up to him and asked him to leave. I can tell you right now, mate, that did not happen :) It was way different.

Thats also what a suspension is about. I believe that Stewart was suspended for being drunk AND getting involved in all of that, even though he was acquitted, but his innocence was not known at the time. Even I said the girl was crazy after one newspaper report. I can read between the lines with the best of them. But hey, the guy still brought the game into disrepute. Thats what changed the intensity of his bad behavior - its effect on the game.

The fact is, overall, decisions are made with the games integrity in mind. If you want to get drunk a lot and be an idiot in public, de-register yourself!

Thats why I have no problem with these suspensions and non-suspensions ultimately. One eye had a good point as well.

Same thing as one eye, actually.....like guys, dont go head hunting. As administrators they are custodians of the entity of rugby league. IF you are a player in this competition, you owe it to the competition to behave as best you can. Of course in these days of less responsibility its hard to make everyone realize that THEY themselves are apart of the entity that is the NRL. Society is in a state of unbalance, and newspaper reporting has become to nosy its soaked in everywhere. I bet years ago players got up to muck as well. But its not on anymore. Sport has penetrated so many levels of society. The sooner they realize the privilege they have nowadays the better.

Its really a case now of the things that you own end up owning you. Such as top level sport. The game that you play ends up making you play an even bigger game. There is no legal ownus on behaving and making the nrl seem like a better place, but to most levels of morality, this would seem like a required thing to do. Am I expecting too much? Maybe, but the ideal is nice. At least we still have a situation whereby those who really tarnish the nrls image are punished. And ffs, nothing wrong has happened in this case.

Also the status quo of jumping on these guys back is a bit rough. This is coming from the other direction. Sometimes you gotta cut them some slack. Dictators and over-eager executioners play a losing game in the long run.

Good luck Todd. If I were an administrator looking at this thread, I'd be saying "You can't please everyone."

And I do not think people demonise alcoholics unless they are consistently violent and dangerous. Its not like this is super urgent in that regard. As far as we know, he has it under control and its a slip. last thing he needs is a bucketload of pressure sending him right back to the bottle. Because as I understand it, they drink to escape reality and negative feelings unlike most people who drink to lift their mood once in a while in measured and controlled doses.

I will add that this understanding of things does not mean I am going soft or whatever word you like to put to it. Its no excuse. I firmly believe that if he makes another mistake of any large nature, he should be gone forever. He needs to grow up if thats the case, but he won't do it in the NRL. Once more and he should be gone forever.

We need to go through a period where we will sacrifice a potentially really good player for the image of the game and our high standards, and drive a generational message home.

Mark

p.s the reality is tho, he didnt drive home drunk, he got a lift home and woke up, showered then went out in the morning. unlucky. and a media beat up of sorts. still, the nrl has a reputation to uphold and he is a past offender.

good luck todd......p- plater, too, eh..... hahahaha. u idiot.

Rub this dude out ffs.

YES....i write to show you double standards. NOW WHICH STANDARD WOULD U LIKE TO UPHOLD? THERE ARE SO MANY HERE.

----> HOW about we just keep people like todd out of the game if they cant handle not acting like they own the world and think they can do what they like? screw todd, we love the nrl too much. let another youngster take his disrespected place.

dont be a P.O.S todd, smarten up. You will be forgotten in a few short months should you leave, or would you prefer to make your place in history? As the hill gets harder to climb, todd, make your choice wisely. The fall sux even more after a tough climb, lad. The wolves will circle and bite you in the ass until you are obscure once more. Then what will you have? Thats right, todd, you will have the bottom of a bunch of freaking empty liquor bottles and shattered dreams. A hollow shell and a wasted life.

But you know, in saying that, it highlights that its really his chance to shine now. And many people believe in him and know he can do it. Personally I think he can too. Would not want any young man to tread that dark path.

Last edited:

CanadianEagle

Juniors
Des Hasler, Manly fans who agree with him.... SHUT THE f**k UP.

This is seriously sad. Every time an incident happens, someone out Brookvale way is having a cry about the punishment and referring back to Stewart. Seriously... he's free, move on.

Raiders fans, Carney had numerous chances at your club - this is his first major stuff up with the tricolours and it's still very minor by comparison to his indiscretions in Canberra. Bitter doesn't even begin to cover it.

I don't like the Roosters and I think Carney's a wanker, but I'm sick of the stupid reactions that come out of some parts.

I'm sick of the stupid reactions that come out of some parts of the moderators here... why don't you SHUT THE F**K UP! :p

skeepe

Immortal
:lol: at Gallop calling it "inadvertent". So he didn't mean to get plastered the night before, is that what you're trying to say David?

:lol: at Gallop calling it "inadvertent". So he didn't mean to get plastered the night before, is that what you're trying to say David?

low range drink driving isn't 'getting plastered'

its not like he was jumping on cars or anything..

sydraider

First Grade
Des Hasler, Manly fans who agree with him.... SHUT THE f**k UP.

This is seriously sad. Every time an incident happens, someone out Brookvale way is having a cry about the punishment and referring back to Stewart. Seriously... he's free, move on.

Raiders fans, Carney had numerous chances at your club - this is his first major stuff up with the tricolours and it's still very minor by comparison to his indiscretions in Canberra. Bitter doesn't even begin to cover it.

I don't like the Roosters and I think Carney's a wanker, but I'm sick of the stupid reactions that come out of some parts.

Like your stupid reaction to saints winning the WCC?

MSIH

Bench
The NRL should've apologised to Brett Stewart a long time ago. They didn't and clearly never will, it's definitely time to move on.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
pffft. all things considered, what can you do to make it better. more punishment?

I just do not see a direct correlation with making things right as to the punishment society can offer.

Even back in the day when someone did something to annoy you or much worse, and you killed him with your sword or firearm, what true good comes of it?

I'd like to highlight to you the deeper levels happening here. I am not saying he deserves to continue like he is: someone needs to stop him. But how can you save a man from himself?

He plays football and honestly, I don't agree that the world should (or will) spare him consequences, but all he is guilty of is lifting his glass to his mouth one too many times. Sure, he was over, and he could have hurt or injured someone (being more likely is all as anytime you drive is a danger potentially).

BUT in this case, from an NRL point of view....all things considered, best to let it publicly slip and fade away, and have a quiet word in his ear.

For instance the ramifications of this: will make me surprised if we see him in the spotlight too much more than is worthy considering his past. I.e They will be hoping he fades into obscurity [if he cant pull it together]. So its like walking a tightrope

Which brings us back to, just what do you do? Its either rub him out forever, or hope he comes good. I believe the best option was made. Its probably prudent to not waste any more time on this man. U wont save him from himself as only he can. And to prolong the matter seems an unjust taint.

Personally I called it a slip on his behalf. He was a terrible alcoholic and now he has kinda changed his ways I guess mistakes are bound to happen. Good luck Mr Carney.

Its his right to have a whinge (of hassler), but what good will it do, and who knows by what tone Hassler used when he whinged. Newspapers are iffy to me. :) Only so much can be done. And in life there are sometimes no solutions, only management. And no wrong has been done in managing this.

While this may be true to some extent, consider the wider effects each has on the image of the game. AND I SEEM to remember him doing a LITTLE BIT more than just getting drunk and hoping in a cab. He was clearly out of line, mate. Making a fool of himself to girls and guys alike. IN your version, apparently he was getting drunk at a table all by himself, and they walked up to him and asked him to leave. I can tell you right now, mate, that did not happen :) It was way different.

Thats also what a suspension is about. I believe that Stewart was suspended for being drunk AND getting involved in all of that, even though he was acquitted, but his innocence was not known at the time. Even I said the girl was crazy after one newspaper report. I can read between the lines with the best of them. But hey, the guy still brought the game into disrepute. Thats what changed the intensity of his bad behavior - its effect on the game.

The fact is, overall, decisions are made with the games integrity in mind. If you want to get drunk a lot and be an idiot in public, de-register yourself!

Thats why I have no problem with these suspensions and non-suspensions ultimately. One eye had a good point as well.

Same thing as one eye, actually.....like guys, dont go head hunting. As administrators they are custodians of the entity of rugby league. IF you are a player in this competition, you owe it to the competition to behave as best you can. Of course in these days of less responsibility its hard to make everyone realize that THEY themselves are apart of the entity that is the NRL. Society is in a state of unbalance, and newspaper reporting has become to nosy its soaked in everywhere. I bet years ago players got up to muck as well. But its not on anymore. Sport has penetrated so many levels of society. The sooner they realize the privilege they have nowadays the better.

Its really a case now of the things that you own end up owning you. Such as top level sport. The game that you play ends up making you play an even bigger game. There is no legal ownus on behaving and making the nrl seem like a better place, but to most levels of morality, this would seem like a required thing to do. Am I expecting too much? Maybe, but the ideal is nice. At least we still have a situation whereby those who really tarnish the nrls image are punished. And ffs, nothing wrong has happened in this case.

Also the status quo of jumping on these guys back is a bit rough. This is coming from the other direction. Sometimes you gotta cut them some slack. Dictators and over-eager executioners play a losing game in the long run.

Good luck Todd. If I were an administrator looking at this thread, I'd be saying "You can't please everyone."

And I do not think people demonise alcoholics unless they are consistently violent and dangerous. Its not like this is super urgent in that regard. As far as we know, he has it under control and its a slip. last thing he needs is a bucketload of pressure sending him right back to the bottle. Because as I understand it, they drink to escape reality and negative feelings unlike most people who drink to lift their mood once in a while in measured and controlled doses.

I will add that this understanding of things does not mean I am going soft or whatever word you like to put to it. Its no excuse. I firmly believe that if he makes another mistake of any large nature, he should be gone forever. He needs to grow up if thats the case, but he won't do it in the NRL. Once more and he should be gone forever.

We need to go through a period where we will sacrifice a potentially really good player for the image of the game and our high standards, and drive a generational message home.

Mark

p.s the reality is tho, he didnt drive home drunk, he got a lift home and woke up, showered then went out in the morning. unlucky. and a media beat up of sorts. still, the nrl has a reputation to uphold and he is a past offender.

good luck todd......p- plater, too, eh..... hahahaha. u idiot.

Rub this dude out ffs.

YES....i write to show you double standards. NOW WHICH STANDARD WOULD U LIKE TO UPHOLD? THERE ARE SO MANY HERE.

----> HOW about we just keep people like todd out of the game if they cant handle not acting like they own the world and think they can do what they like? screw todd, we love the nrl too much. let another youngster take his disrespected place.

dont be a P.O.S todd, smarten up. You will be forgotten in a few short months should you leave, or would you prefer to make your place in history? As the hill gets harder to climb, todd, make your choice wisely. The fall sux even more after a tough climb, lad. The wolves will circle and bite you in the ass until you are obscure once more. Then what will you have? Thats right, todd, you will have the bottom of a bunch of freaking empty liquor bottles and shattered dreams. A hollow shell and a wasted life.

But you know, in saying that, it highlights that its really his chance to shine now. And many people believe in him and know he can do it. Personally I think he can too. Would not want any young man to tread that dark path.

images

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Because there is a double standard there, push bias aside dude, you're a self confessed Manly hater to the core.

If it was Patten or Hornby who are both clean skins in Stewarts shoes I can only imagine the reaction from you. When it comes to Manly you only see things one way.
This is hilarious guys. I dislike Manly but that has nothing to do with them. The Roosters earn my ire just as much as Manly in case you forgot - and I don't much like Todd Carney.

Bottom line is that I (and I dare say plenty of other people) are sick to death of Manly fans and now officials bringing up the Stewart saga EVERY time someone does something wrong as if they're all directly comparable. They aren't, Stewart's free, he'll be back on the park in 7 days and 10 hours officially.

What needs to be kept in mind is that there is no standard punishment because each situation is different, needs to be treated differently and managed appropriately.

Stewart's redemption came in September 2010 when he was acquitted - he'll absolutely tear opposition sides apart this year. Do you think he really wants this incident bought up (even by his own coach) every time it happens? I actually feel sorry for Brett with the way Dessie and some of thefans are carrying on.

We should probably move on however...but Hasler makes a perfectly valid point. But we should probably move on...
His point would be totally valid... had the NRL or Manly punished Watmough in any way shape or form for his speeding offence. Which, for the record, was far more dangerous than what Carney did.

I'm sick of the stupid reactions that come out of some parts of the moderators here... why don't you SHUT THE F**K UP! :p
WTF does anyone being a moderator have to do with anything? We're all members first, entitled to opinions. Moderator has nothing to do with it.
Like your stupid reaction to saints winning the WCC?
What, posting a banner? :lol: You're acting as if I uploaded a video of myself in a Dragons jersey on youtube jumping around like a fruitcake. I posted a banner for their fans to use and that was that. Other people decided it was some sort of dedication to their club, not me. See the banners in my signature, the jersey in my avatar? Get a clue.