What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dump the NBN and fund sport!

BigBadWilly

Juniors
What other technologies will be developed in the future is anyone's guess cloud computing is in its infancy but what I can say is the future is bright with the NBN its very dim without it.

One last note do you realise that the copper network is failing its been around a long time Telstra have been doing a good job of patching it up over the years but they wont outlay any more $$ that's why the government needs to take the lead.

seaeagle sam

What other technologies will be developed in the future is anyone's guess cloud computing is in its infancy but what I can say is the future is bright with the NBN its very dim without it.

One last note do you realise that the copper network is failing its been around a long time Telstra have been doing a good job of patching it up over the years but they wont outlay any more $$ that's why the government needs to take the lead.

Yes i did realise the copper network was bleeding like a bastard and that's why Mr Abbott wants to spend $6 billion in band-aids on it. Thanks for remind me BBW.

LRC

The only issue with fibr eis that we wont have just foxtel coming into our homes and Murdoch doesnt keep the monpoly he has now on TV content into homes.
The elague could almost finance its own TV content and sell it online to subscribers.
Hence the anti labor sentiment (just like he rail roaded KKeating for not breaking down the cross media laws for his benefit)

As far as the cost goes...it will be an national asset which wil draw income, hence the cost is virtually zero.

Its like 10 billion dollars a year for 4 years to build...we spend a hell of a alot more than this a year in defence or helath etc...

We cna afford it...

We just need to get our fair share of the mining bonanza.... unfortunat;ey the fear mongers have stripped that.

bileduct

Coach
No NBN is fine but considering the US is not going 'cable' nor are many other 1st world nations and the speed of wireless technology is basically closing fast, then why spend $45 billion when the boss of Telstra and other leadiong experts says you can do that for 10.
You have no f**king idea what you are talking about.

Angry_eel

First Grade
I'd still go for fast internet(doesn't have to be NBN specifically). I like sport but I work in the IT industry and working on the internet pays my bills.

bileduct

Coach
Well upgrade to ADSL2.
Yeah, tell that to those living in homes that were built in the 90s and connected to a pair gain or RIM service that aren't capable of carrying a high speed internet such as ADSL2.

You have no f**king idea, just like the other clown.

kbw

Bench
the NBN in its current form is a huge waste of resources.
No home needs fibre optic connections (although plenty want it)
Most situations that need fibre optic cables or super speeds already have it, that is corporates and medical etc.

No technologically advanced country, apart from Australia, is attempting to do the foolish things the Australian government is.

The places that need improvements in their internet connections are those remote places and in reality they will not get anything under the current NBN plan.

Substandard internet, you are kidding, you want better, then go and live in a country with 100 million people instead of the 20 we have

kbw

Bench
Yeah, tell that to those living in homes that were built in the 90s and connected to a pair gain or RIM service that aren't capable of carrying a high speed internet such as ADSL2.

You have no f**king idea, just like the other clown.

Maybe its you, a small amount of knowledge and you are dangerous,

Fibre optic cable to the home is a complete wastee of money.

Yes lots of homes can't get ADSL but they have oither, more cost efficient options aside from the options the government is trying to thrust down our throats

Perth Red

Post Whore
it's called future proofing. I voted for the Govt on this one issue alone. Information transfer will be the number one priority for 1st world countries in years to come, getting in early whilst it is still affordable to do so is a rare proactive approach for a Govt, good on them, I look forward to when we are the envy of the rest of the world the way Sth Korea is now.