What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

Eels Dude

Coach
A couple of your posts it seems as though youre not aware.

I am aware. Most organisations organise seminars and conferences for their employees. Yet employees often treat them with contempt. I know I have. Not saying Benji did. I'd be surprised if he did actually. But there would be a lot of young and up and coming NRL players who WOULD treat such things as just a big joke.

Yes, as mentioned previously, hes been there, done that....that said he should be able to live his life and enjoy what it has to offer.

Exactly. Every NRL player should. But it doesn't often work that way because that's the price you pay for being a celebrity.

Exactly. Every NRL player should. But it doesn't often work that way because that's the price you pay for being a celebrity.

Not for a musician or an actor. Robert Downey jr, Charlies Sheen, Mick Jagger...the good life only enhances their reputations as superstars and has no repercussions on their career and the only reason Lindsay Lohan has no career is because she has no talent.

It's funny how only sportsman have to live this shackled life where money suddenly makes them responsible to raise peoples kids and be good little role models but lawyers, actors, musicians, CEO's who earn a sh*t load more than most athletes earn can do whatever the f**k they want to no consequence.

Eels Dude

Coach
Charlie?
Cop it from the media?
Mate, be realistic, Charlie has been f**king up since the f**king 80's and every time he has come of the rails and gone bat sh*t crazy we have simply put a hand on his shoulder, told him everything was sweet and let him keep doing his things.
Until this point nothing has really reduced his earnings capacity.

Yeah and in 2 months time Todd Carney will be talked up again if he's playing as well as he did last year. Just the way the media works mate.

Eels Dude

Coach
no one deserves to be racially taunted but at the same time no one should give a sh*t about some pack of bogans taunting them.

Benji should have just had a laugh to himself that what he earns in 3 months is more than all 8 of them put together, and if he needed to respond just quietly tossed them one of his 3 karat earrings and asked how many of their mothers that would cover for the evening.... greek included of course.

No reason to resort to violence although I completely understand it

Yeah that's what I think. Don't blame Benji either. But these guys should be used to taunts. Sledges on the field they'd cop every week multiple times. Perhaps not racist, but somewhat derogetory. Best just to laugh it off and move on.

Eels Dude

Coach
Not for a musician or an actor. Robert Downey jr, Charlies Sheen, Mick Jagger...the good life only enhances their reputations as superstars and has no repercussions on their career and the only reason Lindsay Lohan has no career is because she has no talent.

It's funny how only sportsman have to live this shackled life where money suddenly makes them responsible to raise peoples kids and be good little role models but lawyers, actors, musicians, CEO's who earn a sh*t load more than most athletes earn can do whatever the f**k they want to no consequence.

That is true. Cannot argue with anything you have said. Sportspersons are supposed to be entertainers and good role models I guess. I think it's generally expected that actors and musicians to play up. In fact it's expected that musicians play up. Who's ever heard of a nice guy rock star? But you're correct it's not fair. But it's the way it is.

applesauce

Bench
f**k I hate the merkins at the CM. Look at what they are running with on the main page:

456708-benji-marshall.jpg

Then read the article!!! Leave a clean comment that has a shot at being published!

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/benji-marshall-in-street-fight/story-e6frep5x-1226016427660

God-King Dean

Immortal
Charlie Sheen is a warlock with tigers blood running through his veins. If you step into the octogon with Charlie, you'll have to deal with his fire breathing fists.

Lambretta

First Grade
You'd think well before 3 AM. How many functions last past 11pm really?

Mate, I've never left a Jewish wedding before midnight and they all occur on a Sunday when people have to get up at 7am to go to work on a Monday.

11pm is not late - it's positively early

Big Pete

Referee
Not for a musician or an actor. Robert Downey jr, Charlies Sheen,

If anything they nearly threw it all away. If they didn't have the talent (Downey Jr.) or the right people around them (Sheen) they'd be f**ked.

Musicians definitely benefit from being tosspots though.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm fairly sure no decent song has ever been written sober :lol:

Only reason it is is because wowsers who claim to be fans give it air time

Absolutely right. Old grannies who aren't NRL fans but just are lonely and need to talk to someone so call talkback because it's the weekend and their usual cooking show isn't on. Or the dads or mums who ring up because their son has heard something about their hero Benji Marshall and have to give them a 'talk' and decide they have to have a 'talk' themselves over the radio to vent their anger.

Eels Dude

Coach
Mate, I've never left a Jewish wedding before midnight and they all occur on a Sunday when people have to get up at 7am to go to work on a Monday.

11pm is not late - it's positively early

Ok fair enough i'll take your word for that. But most privates premises don't allow such things but I guess it's normal in some situations. I think it comes down to whether you're renting say, a community hall to hold your own function, or planning a function organised by the owners.

Flapper

First Grade
Good on him. If every dirty dog racist got their head beaten in the world would be a far better place. Just because someone plays Rugby League doesn't mean they should meekly submit to racial abuse.

Vic Mackey

Referee
So because some random forummer (a Tigers fan no less) has claimed he knows the person involved and said he set Marshall up then that makes it true in this case?

Anyway since we're generalizing, shouldn't you be watching mardi gras? Or more likely are you there posting from your float?

If you read my post you will realise I am referring to last time this happened, the incident in el diablos post, not last night.

I know the bloke personally from THAT incident, and it was indeed a set up.

If you read my post you will realise I am referring to last time this happened, the incident in el diablos post, not last night.

I know the bloke personally from THAT incident, and it was indeed a set up.

This is akin to industrial or corporate espionage

I am almost positive there is something behind this from an organisation somewhere, not limiting this to the AFL.

And I do not normally believe in conspiracies, but seriously, what can one assume.

I get that its probably just an unfortunate incident. So to is the fact that a role model resorting to violence is a bad look.

You can call it violence, but you could also call it guts and balls. Standing up for yourself.

Out of two "alpha" options...punching your tormentor and allowing it to run like water off a ducks back by saying something like "haha, whatever, have a good one" and walking away....he chose the former.

I have no problems with that. But the law might. However, his physical "attack" happened after provocation and a late night (but not drunk), so if anything he should escape.

And just on being alpha: what about the wimps involved in provoking him....they taunt him then act like sooks when he lashes out (as would be expected).

You see, for these reasons and more, I suspect this was a setup. It would not be hard to track benji's whereabouts. And from a corporate espionage point of view, it would make sense to drag leagues poster boy in some mud.

Yet at the end of the day I doubt people will hold it against him. Tho, too much use of aggression will lead people being able to extract predictable responses out of you (your fists)....so any long term strategy that works will only include the ignore option. And we all know thats sometimes hard.

____

a possible counter is that the story as reported is inaccurate and the aggressor was only benji. One may not discount that fully yet the evidence does not support it. Plus, they followed him to provoke him more - so the story goes.

I would only place no more than a 5% chance of this. We are talking about benji marshall and all he has said and done.

____

One more thing to consider is the media blow up. Benji "tapped" him on the nose. I have been in a few fights, seem them, we all see UFC, etc. When you want to turn someone off of aggravating you - as a man - you can give him a little jab and kind of ask "well, do you want more of that and harder? I'm not afraid to hit you, and beat you, so lets end this before it really starts"

This kind of thing, which I suspect may of happened in this case, is a far cry from getting into a brawl and trying to maim the guy or hurt him badly.

Last edited:
If anything they nearly threw it all away. If they didn't have the talent (Downey Jr.) or the right people around them (Sheen) they'd be f**ked.

Musicians definitely benefit from being tosspots though.

No they didn't they both walked from one big role to another despite being more famous for their off camera antics than their on camera performances for over 20 years.

Musicians and actors get away with it, lawyers and ceo's get away with it, businessmen get away with it but sportsman have to be model citizens :roll: Sportsman like Benji Marshall have their salary limited aswell as being a "role model"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vh2MwXZ6o

hutch

First Grade
Not impossible. But who in their right mind feels like a coffee at 3:20 AM?

Having a coffee at 3 AM makes about as much sense as going to the pub and having a schooner at 9 AM.

When do you get home after a night out? Players can go home whenever they feel like it! I'm sick of the media blowing up cause they are out after midnight!