What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benji Marshall not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm

bobmar28

Bench
I have had some fun with this thread just to stir up Tigers fans but here's my actual opinion.

Benji has probably done the exact same thing any one of us would have done under the circumstances. The level of scrutiny NRL players get is way over the top. But they should be aware of this. These guys earn up to 10 times what most people their age are earning and their is responsibility to come from that.

Not just responsibility but they should be aware of the fact that if they head out at 3am in the middle of the city where just about everybody else is drunk off their toes, then there could be trouble regardless of whether they instigate it or not. Because everybody knows who they are and if they cop an odd insulting comment, racist or otherwise, they should be smart enough to just ignore it as opposed to decking a bloke. Because having such a high profile has it's downside.

So if Benji hit a bloke in the face because he was racially taunted, well he should known better really. With a profile like his, you cannot just do something like that and expect it to go un-noticed. It's not a hangable offence and hopefully not as bad as it sounds. People get into fights every weekend in the city and far worse than this one... but the best thing to do is walk away ESPECIALLY if you've a profile like Benji does. If he'd have done that he wouldn't be in this position at all, wouldn't have to speak to police etc. But you cannot have it both ways.

According to the tele Benji tried to walk away.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
'Incidents' and 'NRL Scandals' and the media's overblown reaction to them doesn't bother me as much as it used to. It's all become so predictable and very much part of the cycle that it is no longer threatening to a footy supporter.

For this reason it is highly amusing to see the sanctimony emanating in threads like these from the likes of Perth Red, suggesting that they somehow affect the popularity of our game. This flies in the face of ignored facts that the game is growing strongly according to all indicators. This suggests to me that those with such opinions are easily influenced by self-righteous pundits who clearly have an agenda with Rugby League, of which there are numerous in the southern media.

I would prefer it if supporters of our game just said thank you to the players, rather than making judgments and seeking to impose ridiculous impositions on freedom. Such suggestions are downright delusional. After all, these players provide you with untold amounts of entertainment and excitement, and work there arses off to do so.

bobmar28

Bench
Absolutely right. Old grannies who aren't NRL fans but just are lonely and need to talk to someone so call talkback because it's the weekend and their usual cooking show isn't on. Or the dads or mums who ring up because their son has heard something about their hero Benji Marshall and have to give them a 'talk' and decide they have to have a 'talk' themselves over the radio to vent their anger.

Anger at drunken yobbos who racially abuse people?

trev

Juniors
Whilst I don't agree with violence being used, it is alleged, and I believe that Benji tried to resolve the issue verbally first.

To me, the principle here is quite simple. No verbal abuse towards Benji, then no issue. This bloke allegedly provoked Benji, so he got what he deserved.

The principle is the same as if some grub breaks in to your house and gets beaten up for it...they go whinging that they were beaten up. Quite simply, if they had not broken into someone's house in the first place, there wouldn't have been an issue.

Regardless of whether this bloke had been drinking or not, it's not an excuse to go gobbing off at someone. It's too freely used as an excuse for poor behaviour.

adamkungl

Immortal
The telegraph had a comments section open on the story. This is what I wrote doubt it will get through: Can you name the person who racially abused Benji so that his friends, family and workmates can see what a low dog he is.

+1 for the revealing of this low merkin's name...if he wants to drag someone's name through the media, surely he can be up front about it right? Otherwise he'd be some sort of coward...

Galeforce

Bench
Dumb and dumber
Benji should know better . all high profile players should know better.
They become a target for any idiots out at 2AM and i think the % of idiocy on the streets increases significantly beyond midnight.
Sober at 2pm getting maccas? If this story real , i.e Benji smashed some dope , for whatever reason , he should be banned for a couple of a couple of weeks , for being DUMB> Benji can have no excuse that satisfies.

Last edited:
I think Benji has handled this the way just about any other rational bloke would.

1) try to ignore, if that doesn't work
2) warn the bloke he's about to cop it, if that doesn't work
3) plant one on him.

I have no problem with what Benji has done here.

Gregbyday

Juniors
least this article is more balanced.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...is-as-marshall-bites-back-20110305-1biwk.html

His mother, Lydia, broke down when told about the incident.
''I just can't believe it,'' she said in tears. ''He's helping out the community of a country he's not even from. I'm dumbfounded - it upsets me immensely people could do that.
''It's not his fault that he's been put up on that pedestal. How can they do that to him? That's what they do, they push him and push him and push him so much. They know he's up there; they're just waiting for a reaction.
''Why can't they leave him alone? I just don't understand. He's trying to do his best for kids and people with sickness and this is what they do.''

badav

Bench
+1 for the revealing of this low merkin's name...if he wants to drag someone's name through the media, surely he can be up front about it right? Otherwise he'd be some sort of coward...

I'd be surprised if the bloke who did it is dragging Benji through the media.

That would more than likely have been a leak or "press briefing" from the NSW police force.

And trust the daily telegraph to write a hysterical account of the code being in crisis again. Where do they find the blokes that write for this paper? Phil Rothfield must be doing the recruitment. The daily telegraph has turned into a written version of today tonight.

Spitty

Juniors
No doubt he's done what most red blooded people would do.

But, provercation isn't a defence for assault anymore.

Pretty sure he'll be charged and we'll see what happens at court.

Unfortunately in this day and age the ones charged and convicted with assault are usually the one's that win a fight the victim started. But that's the law, we've all contributed to.

gronkathon

First Grade
In these incidents it is always interesting to watch media outlets come at it from different angles.

The Telegraph article labels it as an alcohol fueled incident without ever claiming Marshall to be drunk but those reading headlines could easily garner that impression.

The Herald on the other hand uses his mothers words to establish a small amount of feeling sorry for a guy who people always have to have a go at.

It is interesting

Originally Posted by Sunshine Coast Tiger
The telegraph had a comments section open on the story. This is what I wrote doubt it will get through: Can you name the person who racially abused Benji so that his friends, family and workmates can see what a low dog he is.
You got a link to those comments mate?

adamkungl

Immortal
I'd be surprised if the bloke who did it is dragging Benji through the media.

That would more than likely have been a leak or "press briefing" from the NSW police force.

And trust the daily telegraph to write a hysterical account of the code being in crisis again. Where do they find the blokes that write for this paper? Phil Rothfield must be doing the recruitment. The daily telegraph has turned into a written version of today tonight.

Maybe not directly. But the sort of blokes that rile up footballers/celebrities have an obvious goal. They know they can put sh*t on them with (usually) no repercussions for their actions, because if the player does react, it will end up in the media and the player will be in sh*t. He knew how this would end up. If there's an assault issue here, obviously both sides would like to make their side of the story know right? man up weak merkin...

I'd have been disappointed if Benji hadn't smacked him in the mouth.

this.

Mader45

Juniors
A New Zealander who runs a charity to raise money for Australian kids with cancer was racially attacked by 8-10 Australians last night.

These 8 to 10 Australians might have just affected the lives of kids with cancer that Benji could have been able to help if their racial attack affects his public image and hurts his charity or disolves Benji's interest in helping Aussie kids after this type of gratitude is shown by us to him.

A punch in the face to a racist Australian by a New Zealander who has done more for sick Australian kids then that ignorant prick ever would?

Who should be getting vilified here?

derp

Juniors
It's alleged Benji and another man belted the guy. Just hope the 2nd guy isn't a footy player as well.

LRC

A New Zealander who runs a charity to raise money for Australian kids with cancer was racially attacked by 8-10 Australians last night.

These 8 to 10 Australians might have just affected the lives of kids with cancer that Benji could have been able to help if their racial attack affects his public image and hurts his charity or disolves Benji's interest in helping Aussie kids after this type of gratitude is shown by us to him.

A punch in the face to a racist Australian by a New Zealander who has done more for sick Australian kids then that ignorant prick ever would?

Who should be getting vilified here?

Brilliant!!!

There was a girl speaking on 2KY who was a witness...she said the only reason benji didnt leave in a hurry was becuase he was signing autographs and having pictures for ages...if eh walked out then he would have been accussed of being a big head snob......then these aholes turned up...

We need tog et on the front foot and start supporting these footy players (I dont know any and Im sure alot are great but alot are wankers...thats not the point....they are just entertainers and I want to see them entertain me)...enough of this pathetic vilification for minor issues that generally trn out to be the fault of others.

Once Dead

Bench
The old adage....Talk sh**, get hit.

Ten tough as nails upstanding Australian citizens pick on one guy? Sounds real Australian to me. Not.

Get in a fight which you incited / started and then complain? Sounds real Australian to me. Not.