What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW 16s and 18s

half_back

Juniors
We are almost at the half way mark of the competitions and the form is starting to dictate those players who are a shout to represent NSW in the 16s and 18s before origin this year.

16s
1. Alex Johnston - Souths
2. Kaupulu Poleo - Dogs
3. Nayah Freeman - Penrith Liam Knight - Mnaly
4. Dee Jay Harris - Illawarra
5. John Fomai - Parra
6. Zac Clay - Parra
7. Brendan Cox - Dogs / Joey Lussick - Manly
8. Sinapati Solia - Wests
9. Ben Johns - Dogs
10. Matt Lodge - Penrith
11.Tepai Moeroa - Parra
12. Addin Fonua Blake - Souths
13. Jack Bird - Illawarra
14. Tifa Iuta - Dogs
15. Salesi Funaki - Tigers

NSW 18s
1. Tyrone Phillips - Souths / Nesiasi Mataitonga - Cronulla/ James Roberts
2. Crete Waka - Wests/ Jacob Gagan
3. Tau Tau Moga - Roosters
4. David Nofalouma - Wests
5. John Sila - Dogs
6. Jack Wrighton
7. Shannon Crook - Illawarra
8. Leilani Latu - Dogs
9. Adam Clydesdale - Newcastle / Luke Vescio - Manly
10. David Klemmer - Dogs
11.Kyle Lovett - Balmain
12. Jeremy Maa - Newcastle
13. James Ralphs - Illawarra / Pride Patterson Robati - Melbourne
14. Fraser Masinamua - Parra

I haven't seen all teams play so interested to see other peoples teams.

Last edited:

half_back

Juniors
You are correct. Although he now lives in NSW obviously plays here and from what I have heard will soon be attending school in NSW. Assuming also once he attends school here he will be picked in the NSW schoolboy teams this year. Not too sure therefore who he will be eligibile for?

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
he played arrive alive cup for st peter claver in 2010 so i'd think he'd play for qld

that 18's fullback has to be james roberts

s1ng0709

Juniors
jack wighton from the raiders would have to be in the halves for the 18's, And peterson-robati still qualifies for 16's!

blackandwhite

Juniors
Can someone with brains and time do a list of u 18's playing Toyota Cup ?

We had Jack Wighton and James Roberts mentioned and although out injured at the moment there is also Curtis Sironen from Balmain.

LeagueInsider

Juniors
Cop the tip, Tevita Pengai from Newcastle will be in the 16's team and still has another year of eligibility to boot

stormy77

Juniors
Cop the tip, Tevita Pengai from Newcastle will be in the 16's team and still has another year of eligibility to boot

yeah maybe, but work rate needs to improve, and could be there next year as well if his weight doesnt get out of control, gone from the wing, centre, 2nd row,,,, maybe next year in the front, lot of good second rowers out there will be interesting to see how he goes, maybe a bench spot for him, probably more of an impact player.......

Tucantango

Juniors
With respect to the 16's I would have to say the above selections are Interesting compilations. Indeed all are worthy of selection. However for mine it is still a little to early. For example the Doggies have had (and will continue to have) the hardest run by far, and with the exception of the loss to the Rabbitoh's (which incidentally was a result of two woeful mistakes), they have beaten the best so far! Ultimately the Doggies will have another three hard games against Newcastle, Manly and Illawarra. This will be the decider for me as to who will make the final 16's team.

Ultimately there are 4 Doggies players that are doing well and worthy of a look. Firstly, the prop Semrani, who has dominated all of his opposition (including the front rowers from Penrith and Parra). The back-rower Montgomery, he is an absolute work-horse and to date has made the HM team of the week twice. Next the centre Morgan. Apparently this kid is a rugby union convert and according to reports he carves it up if given decent ball. He played extremely well against Parra scoring a try and is very safe under a high ball too! Finally Jake Kamire, he had a great game against Parra from what I seen.

Only time will tell I suppose!

Last edited:

LeaguesFan

Juniors
Hey,

Been a viewer of this forum for a while but this is first time posting.

Living in the Illawarra I have seen most of the games for the Steelers.

I think Jack Bird and DJ Harris will be desinates in the NSW 16s team and as a smokey Im tipping their front rower Abraham Attallah might nab a spot on the bench.

For the 18s I think Crook the half back will be there again.

Also looking forward to the Steelers Matts team coming against Balmain and Doggies over the next few rounds

roopy

Referee
Good tip - he seriously looks like he is older and stronger than his opposition instead of a year younger. He plays a full game every week and looks fit to me, so i don't know why some are saying he is not fit - not an ounce of fat on him despite being a big kid.

roopy

Referee
Jeremy Maa will probably miss out again.
He has been bigger and stronger than his opposition in every grade and this year it's almost a joke to see how he just pushes his way over the line from anywhere inside the 10, but he only plays half a game and has real fitness and lateral movement in defence issues, despite having the speed to run with the wingers when he wants.
He would be in my team, but he always gets passed over because selectors go for hard workers over physical freaks.

half_back

Juniors
With respect to the 16's I would have to say the above selections are Interesting compilations. Indeed all are worthy of selection. However for mine it is still a little to early. For example the Doggies have had (and will continue to have) the hardest run by far, and with the exception of the loss to the Rabbitoh's (which incidentally was a result of two woeful mistakes), they have beaten the best so far! Ultimately the Doggies will have another three hard games against Newcastle, Manly and Illawarra. This will be the decider for me as to who will make the final 16's team.

Ultimately there are 4 Doggies players that are doing well and worthy of a look. Firstly, the prop Semrani, who has dominated all of his opposition (including the front rowers from Penrith and Parra). The back-rower Montgomery, he is an absolute work-horse and to date has made the HM team of the week twice. Next the centre Morgan. Apparently this kid is a rugby union convert and according to reports he carves it up if given decent ball. He played extremely well against Parra scoring a try and is very safe under a high ball too! Finally Jake Kamire, he had a great game against Parra from what I seen.

Only time will tell I suppose!
Hey Tucan, I have only seen the dogs in one game and admit they look the real deal, are you suggesting from your comment that Iuta and Cox aren't up to those you've mentioned or have both of them been good throughout and the ones you mention are in addition. I noticed also Iuta been in team of the week twice (not thatit means everything). I must admit I was impressed Semrani didnt know if he was a one hit wonder.

Tucantango

Juniors
Hey Tucan, I have only seen the dogs in one game and admit they look the real deal, are you suggesting from your comment that Iuta and Cox aren't up to those you've mentioned or have both of them been good throughout and the ones you mention are in addition. I noticed also Iuta been in team of the week twice (not thatit means everything). I must admit I was impressed Semrani didnt know if he was a one hit wonder.

Half-Back, Cox and Iuta are most definately in addition to the ones I mentioned. However in saying that I neglected to mention two other Doggies players. Both are returning from lengthy injuries in the next two weeks. My sources tells me that Demetriou (that freakish back-rower) will be returning on the bench this week, and next week the wing/centre Sione f**kaf**ko. You might recall that both players were selected in the under 15 Australian team last year. Ultimately it will be a dilemma for the selectors with the current talent that exists!

junior fan

Juniors
My Thoughts

16s
1. John Fomai - Parra - Extremely elusive, always breaks first tackle, fast
2. Kaupulu Poleo - Dogs - Strong runner, aggressive, good finisher
3. Liam Knight - Manly big and very strong, solid defender
4. Dee Jay Harris - Illawarra strong fast prolific tryscorer kicks goals
5. Nayah Freeman - Penrith Very quick, good on feet, finishes well
6. Zac Clay - Parra great vision strong running game straightens attack well
7. Joey Lussick - Manly great kicking and passing game good organiser
8. Sinapati Solia - Wests strong mobile damaging runner with good defence
9. Ben Johns - Dogs crafty 9, great service, good running game
10. Salesi Funaki - Tigers beast, strong and fast
11.Tepai Moeroa - Parra punishing defence strong big and fast scores tries
12. Addin Fonua Blake - Souths strong and big good offload
13. Jack Bird - Illawarra all round game, ballplayer and strong runner
14. Tifa Iuta - Dogs SR/FR good on feet strong busts line
15. Tevita Pangai - Newcastle SR/FR strong and fast scores tries and damaging
16. Matt Lodge - Penrith Tireless worker, bends lines with strong runs and good defence
17. Brendan Cox - Dogs great utility can play 1-7 and 9. Good vision, speed and running game.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Matt Lodge HAS to be there somewhere. The guy is just a machine. Makes 2 hit ups a set on a lot of occasions and plays almost the whole game. Always bends the line back, has a good step at the line and can offload. Defence is very solid and can put the odd hit on as well.

Rob Jennings scored a hat trick yesterday and although he won't make the 16's this year i think he will be a near certainty to make it in 2012.

junior fan

Juniors
Matt Lodge HAS to be there somewhere. The guy is just a machine. Makes 2 hit ups a set on a lot of occasions and plays almost the whole game. Always bends the line back, has a good step at the line and can offload. Defence is very solid and can put the odd hit on as well.

Rob Jennings scored a hat trick yesterday and although he won't make the 16's this year i think he will be a near certainty to make it in 2012.

Panther Daz, exactly what I thought about Lodge, have seen Panthers twice this year and he was the standout even in the losses early. What are your thoughts on Nayah seemed to have something from what I saw defence not always 100% but attacking ability not in question.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Lodge plays with a lot of heart, thats what i like about him the most. Held his own in HM last year despite being a year young and won a premiership.

The first time i saw Nayah play was at St Marys in a trial v the Dogs. I had no idea who he was(because he is from Young) at the time but he instantly impressed me. His first try he showed tremendous pace down the touchline to beat the Dogs defence and his 2nd try was sensational. He took the ball of a Penrith kick off and beat about 6 or 7 players to score.

He has tremendous pace and footwork as you said. His defence is OK, his pace allows him to clean up any tackles he may have missed. He shows decent enough aggression in tackles too.