What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Bellamy: If we expand, Perth or Brisbane are my prefered destinations

Insignificant facts.

The potential crowds for the CC has as much bearing on what the Bears got in 1999 as Brisbane 2's potential on what the Crushers got in 1997.

Potentially the CC could average about 20,000 - if they fill every seat, every game.
Potentially Brisbane 2 could average 52,000 by the same criteria.

But even if they don't do that they are almost certain to average more than 20,000. A sellout against the Broncos and 40,000 plus against the Gold Coast and possibly something similar against the Cowboys would give them huge crowds for a quarter of their home games. Then add big crowds against the other teams that draw well in Brisbane, like St George, and it's hard to see how this club could not draw well over 20,000 on average. In fact if they did get 50,000 against the Broncos, 40,000 against the GC and 40,000 against the Cowboys they'd have to get only 10,000 for every other game to average under 20,000 for the season.

Again, I post figures and numbers that represent whats actually happening and you post rubbish of maybe's and possibilities.

You claim the Bears bid is based off luck and sentimental value. Well thats funny because I never knew ensuring and guaranteed revenue income was luck or sentimental. I never knew reaching 6200+ members was luck or sentimental. I never knew the sponsors, corporate backing and fanfare established was based off luck or sentimental value.

As a matter of fact taking 2 steps back, the CCBears are the only bid not running off luck. They have made their own through hardwork, Hardwork which no other bid except W.A. has put in.

If anything it's the other bids running off luck and sentimental value. Because there is NO proof, there is NO physical evidence of any of these bids accomplishing what they have noted. Time is running out and if you guys honestly believe that a bid with 350 supporters, 0 members and equity of $750, 000 is with more then another bid with 24,000 supporters, 6200 members and equity of $15million then you guys truly have lost your marbles.

You claim on one hand it's about money and giving back to the game, yet your claims fall drastically short in regards to anything that any S.E.QLD bid has put on the table.

TV money is not the be all end all of revnue in the NRL.. Because if you have limited support then how on earth do you expect people to tune in? Go to games? Buy memberships? Buy merchandise?

I want them in. I do. I was going into extremes. I found it funny.

Honestly, after brisbane and Perth, and 2nd nz, I would like to see them in. Or if it can happen before that I would love it if a sydney team folded.

Its only because I think we need to be very careful about distributing new teams into certain areas.

**I think we need to be very careful about distributing new teams into certain areas. And thats why its not fair, because they deserve it at some point**

AND the NRL must consider the entirety of its clubs and regions and not make allowances for one team. Its almost unanimous that a 2nd team in brisbane or a team in perth will be valued more, and provide greater benefits than a team on the central coast. I know the fanatics are not going away soon, but when the season is going, and we are looking at footy, their voices are drowned out to 99% of people out there.

Thats why life is not fair. And its no reason to compensate for that fact by putting a team on the central coast. Even if the other bids are weaker, they will eventually be stronger by a long mile.

Last edited:

juro

Bench
It is truly amazing the amount of discussion expansion has generated on this website. 100+ posts since Saturday, 800+ posts on the WA bid, 600+ on the latest CC Bears thread (I'm sure there was a bigger one but can't see it now), 1500+ on Brisbane2, 2000+ on Ipswich...

And virtually every post by every person is saying the same thing. fans of one bid say X, fans of another bid say Y, back and forth, back and forth...

And the NRL hasn't even come out and siad they are going to expand!!

It is truly amazing the amount of discussion expansion has generated on this website. 100+ posts since Saturday, 800+ posts on the WA bid, 600+ on the latest CC Bears thread (I'm sure there was a bigger one but can't see it now), 1500+ on Brisbane2, 2000+ on Ipswich...

And virtually every post by every person is saying the same thing. fans of one bid say X, fans of another bid say Y, back and forth, back and forth...

And the NRL hasn't even come out and siad they are going to expand!!

Its gunna be awesome when they do!!

We are going to get smashed, for those without gf's, they are going to wank off. With gf's we are gunna show them a great night out. Or smack their asses and ride them hard in the bedroom (or on the kitchen table, really kick that sexual tension in for several hours beforehand).

Then on the weekend we are going to the footy, sending the girls off to day-spa's for pampering, then we are going to come home, tell them to suck us off (we won't ask) and ride them again.

The downside is, we could be waiting until well beyond 2013 to make this happen.

Come on NRL - make it happen :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol
and that's just when they say we will expand, imagine the fun in my household when the Reds are announced as being in!

age.s

First Grade
I believe expanding by 4 over the next few years is the right move, with Perth and CC in for 2013, and another Brisbane region team in for some time between 2015 and 2017. the 4th spot to be fought between CQLD, Wellington, and Adelaide.

100% spot on imo.

Goddo

Bench
Adding 4 by 2014 is too many too soon. We talk about depth as a problem now, let alone 4 new teams. 2 new clubs in 2014-15 is the most likely outcome at the moment. A lot of people with vested intersts are cold on the idea of 2013.

The only way a big expansion like that can work is if we get an unbelievable TV deal to go to 20 teams, allowing the clubs to pick the eyes out of Rugby Union comps. If we expand by 4 we have to have the quality to go with it.

600+ on the latest CC Bears thread (I'm sure there was a bigger one but can't see it now)

It reached 3000 replies and got automatically locked due to meeting a reply quota. So in fact it's had 3600+ replies on the CCBears.. most of it was genuine news and updates too.. not a bad effort.

adamkungl

Immortal
Adding 4 by 2014 is too many too soon. We talk about depth as a problem now, let alone 4 new teams. 2 new clubs in 2014-15 is the most likely outcome at the moment. A lot of people with vested intersts are cold on the idea of 2013.

The only way a big expansion like that can work is if we get an unbelievable TV deal to go to 20 teams, allowing the clubs to pick the eyes out of Rugby Union comps. If we expand by 4 we have to have the quality to go with it.

4 in 2014 is too many, 4 by 2017-18? Doable with planning.
More teams in the comp means more money to go round. Get players back from England, poach some promising young blokes from Union, get some more professional coaching structures established in PNG. The hit on current clubs can be minimised with some good management and forward planning, and in the long run it will be well worth it.