What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billythekid

First Grade
And about everyone whingeing about the average play and the general boringness of most teams. Well that's what a salary cap gives. It breeds mediocrity. As soon as a team gets good it gets ripped apart again (or it cheats).

You can't have it both ways. You either want an even comp, and the mediocrity that comes with it, or you want a survival of the fittest comp where you'd have some super sides, there would be more exciting teams but more foregone conclusion games.

Can't have your cake and eat it too ladies and gentlemen. One or the other.

BS. The salary cap has been around for a long time now and there have been plenty of great teams. I don't expect to have super sides i just don't want sides like parra/souths playing like a bunch of nuff nuffs (tonights game was toyota cup standard).

There is plenty of talent going around and there are some damn good players who aren't playing in the NRL. Some clubs just aren't very good at recruiting and developing talent.

Anyway i think this conversation is very premature. The standard always starts out lower at the start of the season and im sure it will pick up like it does every year.

Chook Norris

First Grade
the game is sh*t to watch at the moment unless you're watching your own team, face it

no one wants to see dropped ball and wrestling for 80 minutes, people go to the game/watch the game on tv to be f**king entertained, not to fall half asleep

this is very much the case. Having 3 coaches in Bennett, Kearney and Bellamy doesn't help

BunniesMan

Immortal
All I know is that after the first few weeks and 5 out of the first 8 Friday night games, we're likely to get more. the tv networks love high scoring games and close games. We've had 3 high scoring relatively close games. Bet we get at least 1 FNF in round 9/10.

Billythekid

First Grade
this is very much the case. Having 3 coaches in Bennett, Kearney and Bellamy doesn't help

So i guess you missed the storm last week?

Also i would much rather watch a methodical game from a team like the dragons than the the constant errors other teams seems to be dishing up.

The poor quality of games has nothing to do with bellamy or bennett. I think its some of the other sh*t coaches causing the crap games.

Edit: I have no problem with low scoring games. I just like watching high quality football.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
the game is sh*t to watch at the moment unless you're watching your own team, face it

no one wants to see dropped ball and wrestling for 80 minutes, people go to the game/watch the game on tv to be f**king entertained, not to fall half asleep

Disagree. The Titans Broncos game was pretty good I thought...despite some sloppiness, there was a lot of end to end stuff with some excellent defence.

MsStorm

Bench
Might help if SQ and the Titans sit down and talk about a reduction in ticket prices. $30 adult tickets for the worst seats is utterly embarrassing, especially given the news out of Newcastle this week.

The Storm have a similar problem to the Titans, its $27 for the worst seats at AAMI. Surely these prices keep some people from attending games for both the Titans and the Storm.

WireMan

Bench
Eels v Rabbitohs had zero atmosphere coming through the tele.

Two many nuff nuff players filling these teams.

Be nice if we could have at least half of our Eng SL players back plus SBW and Wingy.

Wing would be a handy player at a few of these clubs.

Serious question:

Which players would you like back?

bobmar28

Bench
The ticket prices are pretty high at Skilled (as has been mentioned in here a fair bit) but I think people need to blame the QLD government for setting the 'rent' too high which has to be passed on to the poor average punter than blaming the Titans. Unfortunately the mob who run the stadiums up here can't be touched, a mate of mine did some research whilst the Fury were going through the wringer this year, and basically what he told me is that there's some famous/ well known people on the board of Stadiums QLD, and whilst the organization was set up by the government, the QLD government can't apparently tell the stadium mob what to do as it would be a conflict of interest or something along those lines. I might ask him again and get proper clarification but it was something along those lines that they basically can do what they want and the intervention of the QLD government is not allowed.

The charter says basically the sole purpose of Stadiums QLD (it was called the MSFA at one stage) is to provide quality venues for the enjoyment of all QLDers whilst they are watching their teams.......... so much for this mindset, they seem to be there to rip everyone off and make a substantial profit.

I hope the Suns have to pay the same high rent for their new stadium.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I think the NRL has been fine in 2011 but ..........
the football appears to be bad in only because of the programming of the QLD sides
the Cowboys ... Titans & Broncos
all their games have been awful , horrid .. because they are a sides with limited abilities , the errors :shock: ... absolutely no idea with the ball in Hand
they can tackle a bit
but they just aren't great to watch
& they have been forced down our necks on Friday nights because they have to get a telecast

I think some of the NSW games have been good
Roosters V Souths was a cracker
I enjoyed the Bunnies V Dogs game too

Tigers V Dogs was pretty good

so I think people are making hasty judgements on season 2011
its early ... by round 6/7 things will the firing along.

& if you think our comp has probelms with entertainment

the half time score in the AFL last night
Geelong 1-8-14
St Kilda 2-9-21
I mean .... what the F.uck :shock:

with the sides being booed off the MCG

beave

Coach
I hit my mate up last night about the stadiums QLD deal and why the government up here can't do anything to stop them from charging ridiculous amounts for hosting games at all their stadiums up here.The reason that the government cannot tell the board of directors of stadium qld what to do is because they are supposed to keep an arms length from any commercial entity that is owned by them. Otherwise the opposition can claim they are abusing their power for the benefit of their party be they lib or labour (whoever is in government at the time). At least that's what the law states apparently, it all harks back to the days when the government owned Telecom and the energy infrstructure etc.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
All I know is that after the first few weeks and 5 out of the first 8 Friday night games, we're likely to get more. the tv networks love high scoring games and close games. We've had 3 high scoring relatively close games. Bet we get at least 1 FNF in round 9/10.
Given Round 9 has already been scheduled, it hosts AUS/NZ and CvC, and Souths have the bye, I don't like your odds.

Especially when in Round 10, St George Illawarra play Canterbury at ANZ, which will almost certainly be the NSW Ch9 game. :lol:

Souths v Tigers will probably be Sat night or Sunday arvo.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think the NRL has been fine in 2011 but ..........
the football appears to be bad in only because of the programming of the QLD sides
the Cowboys ... Titans & Broncos
all their games have been awful , horrid .. because they are a sides with limited abilities , the errors :shock: ... absolutely no idea with the ball in Hand
they can tackle a bit
but they just aren't great to watch
& they have been forced down our necks on Friday nights because they have to get a telecast

I think some of the NSW games have been good
Roosters V Souths was a cracker
I enjoyed the Bunnies V Dogs game too

Tigers V Dogs was pretty good

so I think people are making hasty judgements on season 2011
its early ... by round 6/7 things will the firing along.

& if you think our comp has probelms with entertainment

the half time score in the AFL last night
Geelong 1-8-14
St Kilda 2-9-21
I mean .... what the F.uck :shock:

with the sides being booed off the MCG
And they are two of the better teams :lol: AFL what an abortion of a sport.

Knownothing

Juniors
Disgraceful crowd on the GC.

If the Titans keep performing poorly then I can see a few four figure crowds coming their way in 2011.

The Gold Coast economy has fallen on very hard times. Apparently there are two thousand new units for sale, a total of 300 properties were sold on the whole GC last year. I was talking to a pretty successful agent last week, who told me that he had not sold a single property so far this year.

So it is not just a question of how well the local team performs, the bigger question is who has the spare dosh to go to the game? Not as many as in previous years, that is for sure.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Given Round 9 has already been scheduled, it hosts AUS/NZ and CvC, and Souths have the bye, I don't like your odds.

Especially when in Round 10, St George Illawarra play Canterbury at ANZ, which will almost certainly be the NSW Ch9 game. :lol:

Souths v Tigers will probably be Sat night or Sunday arvo.
Well not counting rd 9 obviously, we'll get at least 1 of round 10 and 11 then.

Channel 9 doesn't like Dragons games. I can imagine Benji and co V Inglis and co will be more attractive than a 12-6 Dragons snoozefest.

Status
Not open for further replies.