What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Elliott Disappreciation Society

When will he go?

• He'll be shafted by the halfway mark to the season.

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • He'll see out the season but not re-signed.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • He'll be re-signed for 3 years by Mick Leary in July.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I don't care, I'm just stoked he's no longer at Canberra!

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters

Copperhead

Juniors
Maguire is the Wigan coach. He was an assistant coach under Bellamy before that. But he's under contract till the end of 2012, and we need a replacement immediately.

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
He has an out clause to return to the NRL apparantly.

He was being discussed for Brisbane coach.

I want him..and throw what you need at him to get him here.

Doomednow

Bench
How likely are we, really, to get a new coach this year? Will we have to sit through a whole season of anguish before one is considered?

Maybe round 1 is too early to be losing all hope but jeez it sounds like we are looking pretty woeful this year. Fortunately, I guess, I was down in Melbourne for the weekend and was spared witnessing the massacre. From what I can gather we were poorly disciplined and generally rubbish all round. How does that happen over an off season? Has the team not been training?

anjado

Juniors
Main problem with Matt Elliott is that he is a coach in a similar vein to John Lang. A guy who is mostly conservative and forwards orientated. Main difference is John Lang is and always has been a superior coach to Matt Elliott.

So basically we sacked a coach which i agreed with i thought it was probably time for Lang to go. We sacked Lang and brought in a coach of similar vein who is a worse coach in fact there seems to be a pattern to this.

Lose Girdler and Whatuira and replace with Franze and Hookey
Lose Pritchard and replace with Nigel Plum
Lose Gower and replace with Joe Williams.

Penrith will never become a top club whilst they constantly do things on the cheap. It doesn't take much working out whenever Penrith have spent money on decent quality players good things happen.

88-91 : Mortimer,Kelly,Tunks,McIndoe,Mackay,Barwick,Clarke,Dunn

97-99 : Geyer,Alexander,Sattler,Cross,Jorgenson,Domic,Gaffey,Greenhill,Woods

02-04 : Whatuira,Ross,Priddis,Lang,Campbell,Ward,Galuvao,Roberts

2010 : Burns,Kingston,Earl,Walsh

Whenever we have spent a bit of money on the playing staff it has led to positive results. When you are bringing in quality you have a chance at a great season. Okay you aren't capable of bringing in quality every season but you need to bring in at least 2 regular first graders a season. First game we had no one on debut and quite frankly this is pitiful we have lost 3 important players from last season.

We have replaced them with there back up's for this season that is an utter disgrace.

The whole club needs a clean out our performances in lower grades are even worse with the amount of depth we have at a junior level we should be in the semi finals for every competition.

Elliott needed to go at least 2 years ago but the club just stinks at the moment. It will take far more then Elliott going to turn it around.

If we sack Elliott expect a cheap option if they couldn't be bothered to replace Pritchard they aren't going to bother bringing in anyone exciting. I hope i am wrong but the club is run on the cheap always and it's tiresome.

We had a big opportunity to kick on this year but it's another false dawn. Elliott should go i don't think we will get McGuire. So our best bet would be Daniel Anderson at the moment . We need a new coach with different ideas we need a new style of playing the game also a more exciting style none of this 5 hit ups kick garbage.

Fibroman

First Grade
Players that wold have made a difference to our side over the past few years, if we hadn't been paying overs for 2nd rate hacks:

Jamie Lyon, Matt Orford, Todd Carney.

franklin2323

Immortal
The bloke that needs to go is Mick Leary. (i said this three years ago)

This is more the problem. His decision's are more of a problem then Elliott. The amount of good young players and coaches that go before ME gets his hands on them is terrible.

SG Ball and Matts had 1 win between them in the 1st 3 weeks. Windsor got pumped 40-18, NYC 62-16. For an area as rich in juniors as we are it's inexcusable.

Elliott has wanted to keep Pritchard, Gower, Wallace. Wanted to sign Lyon and Carney only to be let down by the front office.

Sure I want a new coach but It won't help heads up the top need to roll. I am not as old as some posters but I will tell you this the 3 coaches I can remember at Penrith have all had more games like yesterday than good coaches. Roycie, Lang have all had similar performances.

That tells me it's a culture thing. We need a coach to assume control or shell out for quality in the front office. To turn the 'competitive is fine' culture to 'win at all costs'

As for Favourities the next coach will have his favourites all do it. Just hope it's a decent player and not Purtell

lingard

Coach
Hi. Eels fan here. Gee, you blokes don`t seem to like Adrian Purtell much. I must keep an eye out for him on Friday night.
And Matthew Elliott. I must say, I can`t stand listening to him talk. He just loves the limelight, doesn`t he? And he has a happy knack of being charming in an interview so we all forget that that 70,000 to nil loss was all his fault. `Cause he`s such a nice guy. I nearly vomit every time I hear him speak. I`d hate to have him as my team`s coach. I feel really sorry for you guys.

soc123_au

Staff member
If he is true to form you Eels fans will love the turtle by 9.30 tommorow night. He will gift you at least 1 try. One of the most average players in memory to be first picked in any NRL quality 17. Elliott loves him, so what do you do. I was thinking we should get management to approach one of the local knock shops & see if they can send a girl to Elliotts place a couple of times a week to give him a blowie. That might make Purts redundant. Or send a bloke if that's his go.

Kilkenny

Coach
I was someone who believed Matt Elliot was a good move for the Panthers when they brought him in to replace Johnny Lang. He had to go through the clean phase but other than in 2010 when we finished second after the regular season there does remains doubts about his ability to get the best out of the current playing group. I have supported Matt Elliot thru thick and mostly thin in his time with the club and unless we have a relatively successful season, making the top eight, even if only in eighth position, they it may be best for all concerned to move on and try someone different. Clearly we have the nuclues of a decent side albeit not one likely to challenge for the GF. But if we dont make the eight, again, the serious questions must be asked about the Matt Elliot structure as it is not only our NRL side who may be struggling but our NSW Cup and Under 20's side as well.

I hope he succeeds as I still have faith he is a decent coach and decent person. Having said that, if he and his team fails to deliver then it is clearly time to move on and bring in a fresh head coach. Elliot knows this as does management and the fans.

greenfins

Juniors
This is more the problem. His decision's are more of a problem then Elliott. The amount of good young players and coaches that go before ME gets his hands on them is terrible.

SG Ball and Matts had 1 win between them in the 1st 3 weeks. Windsor got pumped 40-18, NYC 62-16. For an area as rich in juniors as we are it's inexcusable.

Elliott has wanted to keep Pritchard, Gower, Wallace. Wanted to sign Lyon and Carney only to be let down by the front office.

Sure I want a new coach but It won't help heads up the top need to roll. I am not as old as some posters but I will tell you this the 3 coaches I can remember at Penrith have all had more games like yesterday than good coaches. Roycie, Lang have all had similar performances.

That tells me it's a culture thing. We need a coach to assume control or shell out for quality in the front office. To turn the 'competitive is fine' culture to 'win at all costs'

As for Favourities the next coach will have his favourites all do it. Just hope it's a decent player and not Purtell

Well written, makes alot of sense, I really hope there is a massive turnaround this Friday night.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I was someone who believed Matt Elliot was a good move for the Panthers when they brought him in to replace Johnny Lang. He had to go through the clean phase but other than in 2010 when we finished second after the regular season there does remains doubts about his ability to get the best out of the current playing group. I have supported Matt Elliot thru thick and mostly thin in his time with the club and unless we have a relatively successful season, making the top eight, even if only in eighth position, they it may be best for all concerned to move on and try someone different. Clearly we have the nuclues of a decent side albeit not one likely to challenge for the GF. But if we dont make the eight, again, the serious questions must be asked about the Matt Elliot structure as it is not only our NRL side who may be struggling but our NSW Cup and Under 20's side as well.

I hope he succeeds as I still have faith he is a decent coach and decent person. Having said that, if he and his team fails to deliver then it is clearly time to move on and bring in a fresh head coach. Elliot knows this as does management and the fans.

The reality is though IMO we don't have the time to wait and see if we'll make the 8. We need to be moving towards signing a coach for next year now. And quite frankly irrespective of what he achieves this year I think generally speaking 5 years is probably at the upper end of how long you would want most coaches staying around.

pantherz9103

First Grade
It was rumoured the Dragons want him. Why??????

But I say Take him, take him Dragons please. Please let him poison some other club.

anjado

Juniors
I find it amazing that Daniel Anderson a guy who has taken the Warriors and Parramatta to Grand Final's and won numerous trophies with St Helens is out of a job whilst Matt Elliott still has a job despite only coaching well for 2 seasons out of 8.

bigfoot

Juniors
Surely the Dragons wouldn't hire Elliott?
From Bennett to Elliott? Not a chance.
There is no way they're that stupid.
If (hopefully when) Penrith sack Elliott, I doubt he'll ever get another gig anywhere. Maybe Under 20's or Reserve Grade if some club is dumb enough, but I doubt any of them are.
Elliott can't even get the basics right that basically every Panther supporter does... e.g. picking the best 17 players available... so in my mind he isn't qualified to coach 10 year old kids.

GongPanther

Referee
Ive been a supporter of Elliott to the point that he will bring something to this club...but now this is just smoke and water.

When you look hard at it,either he is severely jinxed in anything he does and with it not being entirely his fault,or he is a bunny for the overall scheme of things that certain clubs HAVE to fail in order for the salary cap to be seen to be working.

Overall,what I'm guessing is that the results are predetermined either by the coaches and by the referees via the directive of the NRL so as to ensure the rotation of the final eight.

Maybe an ex-referees boss can shine some light on this.

The supporters are fed up.(Note the dismal crowd at Penrith Park.)

The sponsors surely are fed up.

And I'm fed up to the point were you have other teams that flow through seasons by doing simply the right thing by just being competitive were we spectacularly fail so miserably while we have a junior base that is as huge as it is and the backing of so many clubs.

As O'Farrell said "Time For Change"

rant/

Last edited:

Latest posts