What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nyc 2011

roopy

Referee
Looking at the stats, the thing that is great to see is Tyler Sullivan hitting some form.
5 runs for 168 metres, 4 line breaks and two tries when we needed them is the sort of thing he used to do nearly every game in Mathews.
He really lost a lot of confidence when he was dropped into NYC at 16, but now he is 18 and playing against guys who are his age or just a year older, and I expect he will start to show his class again.
He was always the best of this agegroup - it was just hard to tell for the last two seasons as he has been playing NSW cup and in the real NRL and not being able to find a spot in NYC.
Brave move by the coach to drop Tyler into his favourite 5/8 position when half the side seem to be 5/8s with bigger claims to the spot on recent form, but it's the right move - he is a class act. The nearest thing we have seen to a young Jarrod Mullen since, well, Jarrod Mullen.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
NYC: Newcastle Knights v St George Illawarra Dragons
11.45am Sunday 3 April
Ausgrid Stadium
1. Matt Ireland
2. Chanel Mata’utia
3. Geordie Connelly
4. Will Smith
5. Mitch Williams
6. Tyler Sullivan
7. Tyrone Roberts
8. Josh Ailaomai
9. Chad Redman
10. Korbin Sims
11. Carl Means
12. Matthew Herman
13. Ethan Cook (C)
Interchange
14. Chris Knight
15. Brendon Simpson
16. Sam Anderson
17. Kori Barber
18. Api Pewhairangi

If you put Rodney Mason in for Kori Barber, i'd say that's our strongest possible side.

One of the interesting things about last week is that it sounds like Chris Knight came close to outplaying Chad Redman.
Chris has been a standout performer all through the lower grades, topping the try count in both Mathews and Ball for a year IIRC and being the driving force behind the attack. He is an amazing dummy half.
It's a pretty healthy position to have Chad rated the best going around, and he is in a fight to keep his starting spot.

roopy

Referee
Whoops - forgot Morseau is out - need Morseau for it to be our strongest possible team.

Pika

Bench
Yeah,knee. Thought he would be back this week though.

I think Mason has another 4-6 weeks though.

Api dropped for Connelly is interesting.

Adsy

Juniors
It may just be because we have a glut of backs. But is Dale Clatcherty injured too?

Wato

Juniors
Anyone got any news on how many weeks Morseau is looking at? I would hate to see him out for a long period as he looks a really good player and very dangerous in attack. The NYC team looks a really well coached side and should go far. I like the look of our halves and our starting front rowers both look to have long futures ahead of them.

Pika

Bench
Lashed out with his foot when he was tackled.

Might get a week.

Dont think it hit the Dragons guy in the nads, he didnt seem at all hurt.

mozza91

Coach
Lashed out with his foot when he was tackled.

Might get a week.

Dont think it hit the Dragons guy in the nads, he didnt seem at all hurt.
He didn't react much, but it looked like it got him in the nuts.

aqua_duck

Coach
I have been impressed with him.

I've heard many people say he could be the best of the 3 brothers. I've been very impressed with Tariq (and even Ashton) these 1st few rounds and if Korbin is anywhere near the same level as Tariq I'll be extremely pleased

perverse

Referee
Tariq looks the goods. if Korbin comes through that good i will be extremely pleased. i think Ashton could have been a lot better than he ended up.

aqua_duck

Coach
Tariq looks the goods. if Korbin comes through that good i will be extremely pleased. i think Ashton could have been a lot better than he ended up.
yeh for sure, Ashton was one of the top rated juniors whem he came through, made Australian schoolboys and made 1st grade at 18 years of age, which is extremely rare for a prop.
Tariq looks like a future rep player already after just 3 games and he was unstoppable in NYC last year.
Korbin is around the same size as Tariq and 2 years younger so he's on the right track

Latest posts