What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congratulations Luke Burt

boxhead

First Grade
Scored the match-winning try and converted to give us the win, but perhaps more importantly, he has now become the greatest try-scorer of all time for the Parramatta Eels, with 111.

Good on ya Lukie! Perhaps the most under-rated player to be so successful for us.

GO EELS! Congratulations to the boys and congratulations to Luke Burt!

Brenno75

Juniors
His goal kcking was the difference tonight. He nailed the kicks that not JT couldn't, not to mention the two tries he bagged.

attamarrap

Juniors
well done on a great game and breaking brett kenny's try scoring record i love ya mate and i'm not the only one let the tributes flow!!!!!
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

boxhead

First Grade
Has never let us down, has been one of our most consistent performers since his first-grade career began. Have to take my hat off to him; congratulations.

stuke

Bench
Luke just seems like a top bloke. He has done plenty for this club over the years and deserves to be fondly remembered when the time comes - though he still has a few years left in him (hard to realise because he seems like he has been around forever).

The Stig

Juniors
Congrats Burty,

I've followed this team for 37 years and was obviously around at the time of Brett Kenny. The new record holder has earned it. Well done

Rogue.9

Juniors
Congrats Luke on the record. :clap:
You have been a loyal and underrated player for the club & you don't deseve half the sh*t that some people on the forum have put on you over the years.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well done to Burty a true club legend, and that kick under pressure :) Oh and hi Softon Boy :nwave:

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
1_Luke%20Burt-400x267.jpg

Burt's record masterclass hands Eels victory

Adrian Proszenko

Of all the 111 tries he has scored, none were more vital than the match-winner he nabbed at Parramatta Stadium last night.

Burt anointed as Parramatta great

Adrian Proszenko

April 3, 2011

Parramatta 22 North Queensland 20

Eels-420x0.jpg

Jarryd Hayne is tackled. Photo: Getty Images

PARRAMATTA skipper Nathan Hindmarsh believes Luke Burt deserves to be considered alongside the club's greatest players after snaring a win - and a long-standing record - in a thriller against North Queensland last night.

With his side staring down the barrel of a third straight loss, Burt scored his 111th try - eclipsing the mark set by Brett Kenny - to lock up the scores at Parramatta Stadium. Trailing by four points with as many minutes remaining, Burt picked up the scraps from a Jeff Robson bomb to produce a 20-all deadlock. The match was then decided on his boot, Burt slotting over a pressure conversion from the left-hand touchline as 11,226 fans watched history unfold.

Eels2-420x0.jpg

Luke Burt of the Eels scores to take the club record.
Photo: Getty Images

''I think he's alongside the greats,'' Hindmarsh said when asked about Burt's standing in the club. ''Thirteen seasons at one club on the wing, he's now the greatest try-scoring record holder. He's obviously right up there.

He's a no-fuss type of bloke, he's not one for the media side of things, he keeps nice and quiet. The fans know how good he is and how vital he is for the team.''

The names of Sterling, Kenny, Price and O'Reilly are synonymous with the Blue and Golds. A humble Burt was embarrassed by the comparisons.

''I'm not sure if I'm in there yet,'' Burt said. ''The record books, [yes], but those blokes have all played for NSW and Australia, I'll never compare myself to those blokes. But I do feel privileged to be mentioned around that [standard of player] …

Eels3-420x0.jpg

Ashley Graham of the Cowboys scores despite the defence of Luke Burt and Jarryd Hayne.
Photo: Getty Images

''It does feel great. It's a bit weird taking [the record] off such a legend like Brett Kenny, he's one of the all-time greats. I feel privileged to play for Parramatta for so long.''

The controversy surrounding the winning play only added to the occasion. Cowboys coach Neil Henry believed the video referees were too quick to rule in favour of the home side, believing Eels centre Joel Reddy may have produced an illegal aerial challenge on winger Ashley Graham in the contest for Robson's bomb.

''I thought Reddy leapt early, he was coming down and realised he couldn't make a play at the ball,'' Henry said.

''He dragged his arm against Ash Graham's arm and effectively took his catching arm away. You're not going to pull it in one-handed on your fingertips. There's nothing with it [in that] Reddy didn't touch it, the try was fair that way, but I think the contest in the air wasn't. That's my perspective.''

There were several big moments that decided the contest. Eels prop Carl Webb, making his debut for his new club against his old one, made some spirited tackles and charges after relieving Tim Mannah, who was engaged in a running battle with Webb.

Hopefully those hostilities will resume come Origin time. But there were no bigger turning points than the two try-saving tackles produced by Hindmarsh. He may have made more than 10,000 tackles in his career, but none was more important than the one he put on a runaway Glenn Hall to save what appeared a match-sealing try.

''[The effort] was typified tonight by the skipper, the fighting qualities of the group,'' Eels coach Stephen Kearney said. ''Led by the skipper tonight with those two try-saving efforts, if you want to call it that, that was the quality that was very evident tonight, a never give up attitude Nathan has.''

PARRAMATTA 22 (L Burt 2 R Morgan E Uaisele tries L Burt 3 goals) bt NORTH QUEENSLAND 20 (K Fai Fai Loa 2 A Graham W Tonga tries J Thurston 2 goals) at Parramatta Stadium. Referee: Jared Maxwell, Phil Haines. Crowd: 11,226.

Link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...inted-as-parramatta-great-20110402-1csmo.html

Fee

Juniors
Well done Burty, loved by all the Parramatta faithful. So glad my 6 year old son got to watch his idol and favourite player achieve such a great record. Congrats Burty.

Latest posts