What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Mortimer for Gold Logie

Gronk

Staff member
DANIEL Mortimer believes the calm approach of coach Stephen Kearney was a huge factor in Parramatta's come-from-behind 22-20 win over North Queensland on Saturday. Luke Burt's try four minutes from time ensured his side avoided a third successive defeat and Mortimer admits a loss would have heaped more pressure on the team.
The Eels came from behind three times to take the points and Mortimer said Kearney's methodical style sat well with him and the players.
"The coach hasn't given us a spray yet, even when we may have deserved it," Mortimer said. "He is pretty calm and gets his message across, and we have a lot of respect for him.
"I like that approach. He keeps things simple and we work hard in training on certain things that he wants us to bring into our game. We are not there yet but I think we are heading in the right direction.

"The best wins are where you have to battle hard and then come away with the points. But with players like Hindy [Nathan Hindmarsh] producing try-saving tackles, it inspires you."
Hindmarsh, who recently clocked up 10,000 tackles in Parramatta colours, produced two more to prevent certain tries, holding up both Willie Tonga and Glenn Hall centimetres from the line.
Mortimer said the skipper's influence was huge but it was his actions that spoke louder than his words.
The 22-year-old also paid tribute to Burt, who passed Brett Kenny as the club's record try-scorer. "Burty is the consummate professional and when you see the way he looks after himself you can see why he has been around for so long," Mortimer said.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...win-over-cowboys/story-e6frep5x-1226032936033

Gronk

Staff member
THE controversial platelet injections received by Souths forward Michael Crocker and Eels playmaker Daniel Mortimer are becoming normal practice in the NRL. Rabbitohs forward Jason Clark has become the latest player to undergo platelet-rich plasma therapy, which involves drawing blood from a player, boosting the concentration of platelet in the blood and then injecting it back.
The World Anti-Doping Authority has outlawed the injections directly into injured muscles, but it is still acceptable to inject the blood into surrounding muscles. Clark (hamstring) has given the therapy the thumbs up and believes he can be back in round six.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/speedy-cures-on-a-platelet/story-e6freye0-1226033008679

jk13

First Grade
everyone should be receiving an injection of hindys blood before the game. apparently dugan requested some of hindys blood last sat nite, but orford dropped the vial on the way to the nurse.

TheParraboy

Staff member
everyone should be receiving an injection of hindys blood before the game. apparently dugan requested some of hindys blood last sat nite, but orford dropped the vial on the way to the nurse.

Where do we need to go ? :p

True EEL

Bench
leave Morts alone....he is coming along well at the moment, with a lot of pressure on him
give the kid a break, geez

True EEL

Bench
If you're earning 250k as a 21 year old... you deserve to cop it if you don't perform. Just saying.

and that is a fair comment and i hear you......
but, i think he deserves more credit than he is receiving so far this season, and as i said he seems to be developing well currently. just saying ;-)

CrazyEel

Bench
Personally can't see anything wrong with anything he said, guess some people are just overly sensitive.

True EEL

Bench
Personally can't see anything wrong with anything he said, guess some people are just overly sensitive.

so nothing wrong with what whom said?
and whom is then being overly sensitive?? :?

my comments were not directed at any one person, just the general wave of opinions recently bagging Morts, when IMHO he is going ok...which is what i tried to articulate above - and even accepted the other opinion floated here against mine.....

so hope this wasn't at me, but hey if it was, well so be it, its Mitchell......(Allgood) :p

CrazyEel

Bench
No, wasn't referring to you True Eel, as I couldn't see where Morts said anything wrong was merely remarking that people must be overly sensitive to complain about it.

jk13

First Grade
Originally Posted by TheParraboy
Where do we need to go ? :p

they usually stack it on the shelf next to the tiger blood at quality outlets. That siphon a vat load out of the blood vessels in his butt weekly :sarcasm:

Gronk

Staff member
Eels will take time to click: Mortimer

MICHELLE COOK
05 Apr, 2011 04:00 AM
THE Parramatta Eels have had a mixed start to the NRL season but Daniel Mortimer says he is having fun.The former Orange CYMS junior is enjoying his third season with the NRL side and working with new coach Stephen Kearney.
“The pre-season seems to take a while but once the season starts it flies,” Mortimer said.
“I’m really enjoying working under Stephen Kearney. He’s very professional.”
The Eels’ season has see-sawed.
They started with an impressive 24-18 win over over the New Zealand Warriors before recording back-to-back losses to Penrith and Souths.
On Saturday Parramatta recorded a last-minute 22-20 win over North Queensland, something Mortimer said was satisfying.
“It’s great to come out on top after those kind of games,” he said.
“There’s quite a few new blokes in the team so we’re still getting used to those structures.
“Carl Webb, Chris Walker, Casey McGuire, those guys have been around for a long time. I watched them when I was growing up. To be playing with them as well as Hindy (Nathan Hindmarsh) and Burty (Luke Burt) is weird.”
Mortimer said he was also enjoying developing his halves combination with Jeff Robson, as well as working with fullback Jarryd Hayne.
The 21-year-old said when the Eels lost, their completion rate was down and this was something they were working on.
He expects they will be tested this Sunday when they go up against the Melbourne Storm at AAMI Park.
“We’re heading down to Melbourne to play at the new stadium. We didn’t get to play them there last year, so we’re really looking forward to this game,” he said.
“They got towelled up by Cowboys, so I expect them to come out very hard. The Storm are always a threat to the competition. It’s a big test but we’re up to it.”
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....will-take-time-to-click-mortimer/2123420.aspx

Gronk

Staff member
PARRAMATTA playmaker Daniel Mortimer has warned the Eels will be dead in the water before they take the field against Gold Coast at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday if they are worried that superstar Jarryd Hayne won't be playing.
''If we were thinking about that, there would be no point in us turning up,'' Mortimer said. '''Haynesy' is a great player, but he won't be there and we have to move on from that. We'll still have 17 players and we'll all have a job to do. Everyone is just going to have to accept a bit of extra responsibility, and I think we're all excited about doing that.
''Luke [Burt] has gone back to his old position at fullback, for Jarryd, and I know he's looking forward to the opportunity … I'm sure he'll do a top job for us.''
Advertisement: Story continues below
Hayne will serve the first game of a two-match suspension for striking, incurred after he led with his head in an altercation with Canterbury forward Corey Payne last weekend.
Hayne had earlier sparked the Eels with two tries as they built a 14-0 lead, but his and Payne's sin-binning - soon followed by the sin-binning of Parramatta second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh and Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis for an unrelated incident - led to a change in momentum and Canterbury ran away to win 34-14. Five-eighth Mortimer said it was a costly lesson.
''The Bulldogs seemed to get a lift out of what happened,'' he said. ''They threw the ball around while it was 11-on-11 and got tries. They reacted to the situation the way we should have reacted.''
Mortimer said that while the media and the fans had placed considerable expectations on Parramatta to perform better - they have won just two of their first six games - coach Stephen Kearney and the players were trying to get on with the job without letting the pressure affect them.
''We've put together some really good spells in games, but we haven't been consistent for 80 minutes,'' Mortimer said. ''It's not good enough to do it in patches … People get impatient waiting for results, and we understand that, but we've got a new coach who has brought in new systems and it's only natural that it takes time to get used to everything.''

Latest posts