What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gower looking for NRL options

abpanther

Staff member
Free agent Gower on lookout for NRL club
Adrian Proszenko
April 3, 2011

CRAIG GOWER has spoken for the first time about the prospect of returning to the NRL, saying that rugby league ''is in my blood''.

Gower has been playing rugby union for Bayonne in France's Top 14 competition since 2008 but is officially a free agent as of May 7. The premiership-winning halfback must weigh up whether to press for selection for Italy in the Rugby World Cup or add to the 238 games he played during an illustrious NRL career.

''I don't know about unfinished business but at the end of the day I'll look at options if they are there [in league],'' Gower told The Sun-Herald yesterday. ''Obviously I've been there for a number of years and it's in my blood. I left for a new challenge, that was it. It obviously was a great game and still is.''

Advertisement: Story continues below
Gower's manager Greg Willett will begin scouring options for the dual international this week.

''I feel I've got a couple more years in me for sure, the body is in pretty good nick,'' Gower said. ''Obviously I had an operation late last year but the knee is coming along well.

''I'll just see how things go. There's been nothing put forward to me. At the end of the day there needs to be an opportunity. I'm on a plane back to France on the 26th of April.

''My last game is on the 7th of May and after that I'm a free agent.''

Gower expects to eventually resettle in Sydney but the timing will depend on the opportunities on offer. ''[France] has been fantastic, we've had a great time and enjoyed the lifestyle,'' Gower said. ''[Sydney] is where we're from and I'm sure we'll come back here but I'm not exactly sure when. If there is an offer on the table, then obviously I have to make a decision.''

The unexpected availability of an experienced playmaker as soon as next month is sure to pique the interest of NRL clubs. South Sydney halves Chris Sandow and John Sutton are both off contract at the end of the season, although their recent form would increase their chances of being retained. Gower is close to Rabbitohs coach John Lang and CEO Shane Richardson, the trio enjoying premiership success at Penrith in 2003. Parramatta have been mooted as potential suitors given they attempted to sign veteran playmakers Trent Barrett and Matt Orford in the off-season. However, it's understood that Gower isn't on the Eels' radar.

One player who is a Parramatta priority is Melbourne winger Matt Duffie. As revealed in The Sun-Herald last month, the Eels are desperate to bolster their outside back stocks and rate the 20-year-old highly. Duffie was yesterday given a tour of the Eels' facilities by coach Stephen Kearney, with whom he has a relationship from their time at the Storm. Melbourne have tabled a three-year offer to keep him in Victoria, but it's understood that the Eels are prepared to pay more for the same tenure. Duffie was a guest at Parramatta Stadium during the Eels-Cowboys match last night.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/free-agent-gower-on-lookout-for-nrl-club-20110402-1csd5.html

Should we entertain the idea?

Bob

Juniors
Free agent Gower on lookout for NRL club
Adrian Proszenko
April 3, 2011

CRAIG GOWER has spoken for the first time about the prospect of returning to the NRL, saying that rugby league ''is in my blood''.

Gower has been playing rugby union for Bayonne in France's Top 14 competition since 2008 but is officially a free agent as of May 7. The premiership-winning halfback must weigh up whether to press for selection for Italy in the Rugby World Cup or add to the 238 games he played during an illustrious NRL career.

''I don't know about unfinished business but at the end of the day I'll look at options if they are there [in league],'' Gower told The Sun-Herald yesterday. ''Obviously I've been there for a number of years and it's in my blood. I left for a new challenge, that was it. It obviously was a great game and still is.''

Advertisement: Story continues below
Gower's manager Greg Willett will begin scouring options for the dual international this week.

''I feel I've got a couple more years in me for sure, the body is in pretty good nick,'' Gower said. ''Obviously I had an operation late last year but the knee is coming along well.

''I'll just see how things go. There's been nothing put forward to me. At the end of the day there needs to be an opportunity. I'm on a plane back to France on the 26th of April.

''My last game is on the 7th of May and after that I'm a free agent.''

Gower expects to eventually resettle in Sydney but the timing will depend on the opportunities on offer. ''[France] has been fantastic, we've had a great time and enjoyed the lifestyle,'' Gower said. ''[Sydney] is where we're from and I'm sure we'll come back here but I'm not exactly sure when. If there is an offer on the table, then obviously I have to make a decision.''

The unexpected availability of an experienced playmaker as soon as next month is sure to pique the interest of NRL clubs. South Sydney halves Chris Sandow and John Sutton are both off contract at the end of the season, although their recent form would increase their chances of being retained. Gower is close to Rabbitohs coach John Lang and CEO Shane Richardson, the trio enjoying premiership success at Penrith in 2003. Parramatta have been mooted as potential suitors given they attempted to sign veteran playmakers Trent Barrett and Matt Orford in the off-season. However, it's understood that Gower isn't on the Eels' radar.

One player who is a Parramatta priority is Melbourne winger Matt Duffie. As revealed in The Sun-Herald last month, the Eels are desperate to bolster their outside back stocks and rate the 20-year-old highly. Duffie was yesterday given a tour of the Eels' facilities by coach Stephen Kearney, with whom he has a relationship from their time at the Storm. Melbourne have tabled a three-year offer to keep him in Victoria, but it's understood that the Eels are prepared to pay more for the same tenure. Duffie was a guest at Parramatta Stadium during the Eels-Cowboys match last night.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...r-on-lookout-for-nrl-club-20110402-1csd5.html

Should we entertain the idea?
NO f**king WAY
Cost us Peter Wallace and a lot of problems with his I want a release, I don't want a release theatrics, leave him in France or let him play Superleague

Panthers_God

Juniors
I think Gower would do a better job than Walsh at this stage... He might even teach Walsh a thing or two about defence.

murraymob

Coach
orford is a perfect example of players leaving the game then coming back and struggling.Gower would be the same.He was struggling at the tail end with us

bris_panther

Juniors
i would have him back in a heartbeat.

GOWER tackle, run, kick, pass, lift a team, create an atmosphere > WALSH bomb and hope.

hindy111

Post Whore
why would use bag walksh out-he is one of the better halfbacks going rnd.He has great vision and a solid kicking game-And he can take on the line...Id rather see Tumata at 5/8 thou..dont rate burns at all

Mr Fourex

Bench
NO f**king WAY
Cost us Peter Wallace and a lot of problems with his I want a release, I don't want a release theatrics, leave him in France or let him play Superleague

You can have Peter Wallace back if you want........

We'll take Gower

mxlegend99

Referee
Yeah Peter Wallace only ever looked good under Wayne Bennett. He would never have looked anything more then a fringe first grader if he stayed at the Panthers, and he would never have played Origin if it wasn't for Bennett coaching him and Lockyer partnering him.

I'd say we're better off with Walsh TBH. Although neither are as good as Wade Graham would be under a good coach. Sammut would have also been better then both if used at 5/8 and left there. But Matt Elliott loved to move any promising halves around and keep them out of position. Until he gets fringe first graders and they get a spot no matter what.

franklin2323

Immortal
Telecrap reporting the same. I am not against the idea but unlike Orford should we sign him. He needs to be 100% before he takes the field

mxlegend99

Referee
Gower is the ultimate competitor - he'd work harder then everyone else to get back to 100%. He's also said he's happy to play reserve grade until that happens. Low risk, high reward.

Especially if it's mid-season. We already had our 2011 squad finalised... imagine if we managed to add a couple of dual internationals in Gower and Tahu after the season had kicked off. We didn't expect to have either... so it's really only depth for this year. :cool: If they find their way back to their best or near it... it's a huge bonus.

age.s

First Grade
How could we afford him? Even if he plays for peanuts this year it's been mentioned several times that we're spending all of the salary cap.

maple_69

Bench
Would be stupid not to have a look at him.
Anyone know how he's been going? The sporadic reports I've heard have him playing well.
I wonder if Wed be able to play him/Burns at lock with Lewis as a second rower the way he is used for australia. Would certainly take he pressure of Walsh..

Fibroman

First Grade
Gowie would slot in nicely at 5/8th for us. He would stiffen the defence up and give us another kicking option. He's also never been shy of taking on the line.